10-year-old Nigerian math genius recently enrolled at college | Welcome to Linda Ikeji's Blog

LI_Leaderboard_4

LI_Leaderboard_1

LI_Leaderboard_2

LI_Leaderboard_3

Sunday 21 June 2015

10-year-old Nigerian math genius recently enrolled at college

At first glance Esther Okade seems like a normal 10-year-old. She loves dressing up as Elsa from "Frozen," playing with Barbie dolls and going to the park or shopping. But what makes the British-Nigerian youngster stand out is the fact that she's also a university undergraduate. 

Esther, from Walsall, an industrial town in the UK's West Midlands region, is one of the country's youngest college freshmen.

The talented 10-year-old enrolled at the Open University, a UK-based distance learning college, in January and is already top of the class, having recently scored 100% in a recent exam.
"It's so interesting. It has the type of maths I love. It's real maths -- theories, complex numbers, all that type of stuff," she giggles. "It was super easy. My mum taught me in a nice way." 


She adds: "I want to (finish the course) in two years. Then I'm going to do my PhD in financial maths when I'm 13. I want to have my own bank by the time I'm 15 because I like numbers and I like people and banking is a great way to help people."

And in case people think her parents have pushed her into starting university early, Esther emphatically disagrees. 

"I actually wanted to start when I was seven. But my mum was like, "you're too young, calm down." After three years of begging, mother Efe finally agreed to explore the idea.

A marvelous mathematical mind
Esther has always jumped ahead of her peers. She sat her first Math GSCE exam, a British high school qualification, at Ounsdale High School in Wolverhampton at just six, where she received a C-grade. A year later, she outdid herself and got the A-grade she wanted. Then last year she scored a B-grade when she sat the Math A-level exam. 

Esther's mother noticed her daughter's flair for figures shortly after she began homeschooling her at the age of three. Initially, Esther's parents had enrolled her in a private school but after a few short weeks, the pair began noticing changes in the usually-vibrant youngster.
Efe says: "One day we were coming back home and she burst out in tears and she said 'I don't ever want to go back to that school -- they don't even let me talk!' 

"In the UK, you don't have to start school until you are five. Education is not compulsory until that age so I thought OK, we'll be doing little things at home until then. Maybe by the time she's five she will change her mind."

Efe started by teaching basic number skills but Esther was miles ahead. By four, her natural aptitude for maths had seen the eager student move on to algebra and quadratic equations. 

And Esther isn't the only maths prodigy in the family. Her younger brother Isaiah, 6, will soon be sitting his first A-level exam in June. 

Culled from CNN

75 comments:

NaijaDeltaBabe said...

Beauty and brain. She looks so smart

Alloy Chikezie said...

Wow! Genius! Congratulobia to her.

Your comment will be visible after approval

umoh Linda said...

Precious Lord, under graduate at 10? Dis is shocking, dis gurl shld be awarded medals on daily basis.

umoh Linda said...

Precious Lord, under graduate at 10? Dis is shocking, dis gurl shld be awarded medals on daily basis.

Unknown said...

Lucky she is not in Nigeria cos the reality of the show would lead to a situation where her grandparents or some family members would attribute her qualities and talents to some spiritual possessions. I am sure if she is in Nigeria, you won't be celebrated this way, because here we don't believe in genius and wonders but rather in religion affiliations and spiritual/demonic entanglements being portrayed into our shallow minds. Keep it up girl. Happy for you

Unknown said...

Chai...No be small thing. I know students that as soon as maths teacher enters the class,they'll start crying or find a way to leave the class. Esther, your brain no be here.







Busy Fingers.

zubby said...

Wonderful! I wish her al d best

Unknown said...

OMG! Little Einstein of our time. Way to go girl, the sky is the starting point for you. Linda take note!




Okiie, notice to all LIBERs. Didn't want to do dis before but I gex I just have to do it as a disclaimer. One idiot on dis blog stole my identity, my name & signage. So please any negative comments on dis blog is not coming from me but from the thief cos I would neva say anything bad about someone or wish anyone evil. So I have gone back to using my old pix & my email address is (julie3er@gmail.com). Linda take note!

Unknown said...

Kip it up dearie

Unknown said...

Am proud of u

EPO said...

Have never made a comment by but this wow and is magnificent, some are out of this planet, is a challenge!!!

Anonymous said...

Jesus Christ.

Unknown said...

Wat a Genius! I prophesy dat ma kids wil be as as extremely Intelligent as ds 10yr old, Amen...
* * * Linda's 1st Daughter * * *

AbokiDaWarriBoy said...

Aww all the best destiny child.

Stunna said...

Head burn

DeeD25 said...

Wonderful! Kids like this make me feel less smart I swear!!! finished uni at 21 and this one will finish before her sweet 16! wow! she even wants to do a phd! I've not even done my masters! Jesu!!!

TONIA GREEN said...

Wow! What a super brain child!!

❤❤❤ THE PROPHETESS

Unknown said...

Beauty and brain God grant her heart desires

Kponskii said...

Genius!

Unknown said...

She is a genius.
She have wonderful parents.
While some part of the country is busy marrying off the 10 year olds.

Adetunji Saka said...

Witch!

"Slow and steady wins the race"

andre kelvin said...

This is what we call GURU (people wer dey chop book like beans)

Anonymous said...

Wow! I love stories like this.can only imagine how proud her parents are.God bless my child with this type of knowledge too.Amen.

Anonymous said...

How adorable and also to portray the fact that our God actually made us kings and queens on earth.He is awesome. With Him all things are possible

Unknown said...

is it only academics that people learn in colleges?, what about life? so because she is a math genius she is ready to go to college?

Mzz_Mary said...

Wow
Lucky kid

kriss said...

Waow....

Unknown said...

Wow! Dis is rare gift in her family, and am family for her. Thumbs up, and more power to her. I pray she keeps d lovely dream up, and not b distracted.


To all our muslim brothers, and sisters on LIB, I pray all ur heart desires come to pass during dis period of Ramadhan.

Long live Linda Ikeji, and all LIB reader's.

Anonymous said...

And the typical Nigerian's in the house would blab rubbish on the post now! I say if a child can handle it y not? Stop thinking for kids. let them do what they have passion for. God speed Lil one, this is just the beginning of a beautiful and great life for you!

Anonymous said...

Wow!! She's such a genius!!! Kip kip kip it up!

Anonymous said...

Wow!! She's such a genius!!! Kip kip kip it up!

Jeni_zee said...

My isoko people !!

Unknown said...

Wow! Dats a genius i hate maths wif. Passion,i dnt even wanna hear abouh it

Unknown said...

Wow....dis is so amazing, wat an intelligent girl..may God continue to giv u more knowledge

Anonymous said...

I am dazed as a mathematics graduate at 24.

MISS UNDERSTOOD said...

Genius Family... Bravo!!!
World media houses will not commend Nigeria for this kind of family but if it were a suicide bomber, drug trafficker etc with Nigerian bloodline as far as 4th generation they'll start to slander Nigeria.

Unknown said...

Simply Amazing

NARUTO said...

God's gift and I wish her well.

Unknown said...

Wow! God wl grant unto u divine WKNU 4rm above IJN

Unknown said...

Wow! God wl grant unto u divine WKNU 4rm above IJN

Jasmine Joseph said...

Wow God don bless this girl with better brain, wish u all d best Esther, and may all ur drms come true

Jasmine Joseph said...

Wow God don bless this girl with better brain, wish u all d best Esther, and may all ur drms come true

Anonymous said...

beyond my imagination, God is great

sky said...

God bless your mind

Anonymous said...

Nne I tap your blessings in being brainy and outstanding for my kids in JESUS name, Amen.

Anonymous said...

Nne I tap your blessings in being brainy and outstanding for my kids in JESUS name, Amen.

McJoe said...

Wow. I am petrified !

Etsako Pearl said...

Brilliant Mind.Kudos Esther!

Unknown said...

This pin NA God win for the family. Linda she thank God she is no studying in Nigeria, those lecturers for give her carry over. They don't care. Some of them if they find out you are ready to break their record they prostrate you unnessary. By the time she miss exem be course of one Mr examinars failure to dissiminate information of exam counsilation or time adjustment she will know. Nija for you. We shall change all that very soon.

Unknown said...

This pin NA God win for the family. Linda she thank God she is no studying in Nigeria, those lecturers for give her carry over. They don't care. Some of them if they find out you are ready to break their record they prostrate you unnessary. By the time she miss exem be course of one Mr examinars failure to dissiminate information of exam counsilation or time adjustment she will know. Nija for you. We shall change all that very soon.

Unknown said...

Family of genius.

Hefner said...

Omo na khin! Making us proud.

Unknown said...

Wow....I'm marveled!!

Unknown said...

God is wonderful you can never understand him

Ngozin said...

Wow abet mummy EFe tell us what you are eating ,I want to eat it too.

sammycool said...

for window blinds and curtains please call 08160856785.

Unknown said...

The parent will be so proud of her

Unknown said...

I claim it for my daughter too to b a genius like Esther ijn Ameeeeeeeen

Unknown said...

Aww that's lovely... Young n getting it

Anonymous said...

She will be acting like nerd now...see her smile already!

Unknown said...

Genious

Beloved #CHIVIDO 2020 said...

Children of net generation. INTRIGUING

Unknown said...

am speechless,,at such a tender age and already this brilliant?wooww..all the best to her and her brother.

gentle said...

Wow wow wow! 10! More reasons why I wnt marry a dunce. If you give birth to a dunce, you wnt like urslf during Ur child's primary and secondary school years.

Unknown said...

For the accedemically average ones like myself, please don't start feeling that you are an olodo. Some of these things are genetic. While I know some of us struggle to come out with a grade C, these genius makes a mince meat of it.

Anonymous said...

I'm like so so impressed
Wow!




Theresa urateh#password ish#

Anonymous said...

Pls show some support. Search for drujehair on instagram and like the reposted picture of @ngmula. Thanks!!!

noah's son said...

Goin 2 wait patiently till she's 20 den I will introduce ma sef

Unknown said...

Wow! Dis is rare gift in her family, and am family for her. Thumbs up, and more power to her. I pray she keeps d lovely dream up, and not b distracted.

Seyi Johnson said...

Amazing! How I love brilliant children!

Obi Onuorah said...

Nice but it's called university not "college" in the UK and there's no "freshman year". It's simply first year! #justsaying

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, it feels nice to be associated with positive things.

Anonymous said...

wonderful angel

Anonymous said...

Is there no qualification for entering University in UK? Can one be admitted into University with one credit at one sitting. All the same Esther, congratulations, keep the flame burning. Chimezie Okereke

Unknown said...

congrats dearie

Recent Posts