Woman in Australia killed by cheap phone charger | Welcome to Linda Ikeji's Blog

LI_Leaderboard_4

LI_Leaderboard_1

LI_Leaderboard_2

LI_Leaderboard_3

Saturday, 27 June 2015

Woman in Australia killed by cheap phone charger

Australian authorities issued a warning about cheap, non-compliant USB-style chargers after a young woman died from apparent electrocution while using a laptop and possibly a smart phone.
ADVERTISING

The 28-year-old was found wearing headphones and with her computer in her lap with burns on her chest and ears at a home in Gosford, north of Sydney.
Police are still investigating the circumstances of the death but the Department of Fair Trading, which has assisted with the case, suggested a sub-standard mobile phone charger could be to blame.
The woman, whom reports said was from the Philippines but had recently become an Australian citizen, had headphones plugged into her laptop, which was connected to a power socket to charge.
"The phone was also plugged into a USB-style charger. That charger had failed," Lynelle Collins from the New South Wales Department of Fair Trading said.

"Somehow power from that charger has connected to her body. Whether she had it (the phone) to her ear or was holding it in her hand, we don't know."

Collins said ideally people should avoid using their mobile phones while the devices were charging, but in any case they should avoid non-approved chargers.

"We are trying to alert people to the concern that sometimes when you buy really cheap chargers, they aren't compliant with... (safety) standards," she said.

Fair Trading said it had removed a number of unapproved and non-compliant USB-style chargers, travel adaptors and power boards from sale in Sydney after the death.

They said the devices did not meet essential safety requirements and were often made of inferior plastics and other insulation materials.

"These devices pose a serious risk of electrocution or fire," Fair Trading commissioner Rod Stowe said in a statement.

Maximum penalties for selling devices that fail Australian standards are Aus$87,500 (US$82,500) and/or two years imprisonment for an individual and a Aus$875,000 fine for a corporation.

The woman's death is the only known fatality in Australia potentially linked with the chargers, but a report from China in 2013 suggested a woman was electrocuted while making a call on a phone that was charging.

AFP

36 comments:

Unknown said...

So they have fake things too.? RIP!

Unknown said...

Thats serious.

Gdmoni Linda nd Libers...Do av a blessed weekend


Moye says so via BB Passport...Courtesy LIB......

Unknown said...

Oh what a world

Unknown said...

O my my

Honeysuckle said...

Eeyaa.Rip

Adetunji Saka said...

Wetin we no go hear.

"Condolences"

Adetunji Saka said...

Wetin we no go hear.

"Condolences"

Unknown said...

This is becoming too rampant..


Please guys visit my blog Www.trendwithgloria.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Chai

Anonymous said...

Its d handy work of china ( linda observe post my comment

Unknown said...

Wow.. Scary...

Unknown said...

Oooooooooh my.....!
May God grant her eternal rest.

Unknown said...

It's a wa




*lib's namesake*

ary said...

Ha! We have enough of those in our streets.

Unknown said...

Na him be say we for don die finish for naija be dat na, fake chargers, battery, powerbank everywhere u go..lol,

NaijaDeltaBabe said...

Our aba brothers dey dere ni? Lol

Unknown said...

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said..
.
May soul RIP....
.
.
***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

bummyla said...

May Her Soul Rest In Peace!


http://www.bummyla.com

Unknown said...

Lol..So australia ma dey use fake stuffs??
Rip

Unknown said...

Too bad
Linda look alike

Hypertek IshOlawale said...

And to think i am also guilty of this doings, just that I don't buy cheap chargers...May God help us all...May her soul rest in bliss!

andre kelvin said...

RIP

Unknown said...

Her enemies are at work....RIP

Unknown said...

so sad

Unknown said...

gosh...D's is sad

Unknown said...

Too bad

OKORO UPGRADED**

Anonymous said...

Oho Linda you see urself when you posted the story with the picture of the lady few days ago, you said you didn't believe it even some daft commenters too, now Shey be you don hear am, now that investigators don comfirm am, you know talk anytin again ooo. Pple should that it's very dangerous to use any electronic device while charging it, if you must use ur laptop while charging it then place it on a table away from your body.

Unknown said...

Hian! Na wa o! Fear don dey catch me o! May her soul rest in peace. Linda take note!

Nky said...

Na wa oo, na only God dey help us.

Unknown said...

RIP 2 her
linda at least post a pic of the incident na

Juleslouis said...

All these gadgets r not even supposed to come in contact to your skin for a long time. That's why i receive calls using speakers when I'm alone.

Juleslouis said...

All these gadgets r not supposed to come in contact with your skin for a long while. That's why its advisable to use d loudspeaker to listen to music and receive calls when alone.

Goaldyn Boy said...

This confirms that all the recent postings in social media of girls that were electrocuted by earphones and power banks while charging and using them were true!!!

Unknown said...

Only God can help

Unknown said...

Too bad, may her soul RIP

Unknown said...

Hey, Your post is very informative and helpful for us. In fact i am looking this type of article from some days. Thanks a lot to share this informative article.
You can also see this MicFlip: World's First Reversible Micro USB Cable .

Thanks

Recent Posts