Photos: South African model Thando Hopa revels in her albino skin | Welcome to Linda Ikeji's Blog

LI_Leaderboard_4

LI_Leaderboard_1

LI_Leaderboard_2

LI_Leaderboard_3

Friday 26 June 2015

Photos: South African model Thando Hopa revels in her albino skin

South African lawyer and model Thando Hopa grew up in the shade, her porcelain skin protected by long sleeves and sunscreen until the day the South African decided to fight prejudice against albinos by becoming a model.

She was born with an inherited depigmentation of her skin from head to toe that can lead to discrimination and even death. Hopa uses a magnifying glass to read, is not allowed to drive, and shuns stilettos. So her first jaunt down a catwalk was something of a miracle.
Ghostly, with no make-up bar vivid fuchsia on her lips and hair sculpted to a magnificent bleached height, she exploded onto the cover of the first Forbes Life Africa back in 2013.
"It's one of the most beautiful pictures I've had taken," says Hopa, though it took years for her to grow comfortable with a bare face, her pale eyebrows almost invisible.
"I was much younger then. I could never go out without make-up... But as time goes on, your confidence just grows," she says. "It took years for me to get to a point where I could walk around without make-up."
"I had been approached to do modelling before, but I didn't go for it because I never saw the benefits. I thought, 'It's such a shallow profession -- why would I want to do that? I am a lawyer.'"
But after crossing paths with designer Gert-Johan Coetzee in downtown Johannesburg in 2012, she began thinking differently.
"Gert came to me and asked me if I would like to do a shoot and I said I would consider it," recalls Hopa. "And then I spoke to my sister. And my sister said to me, 'Don't look at modelling as modelling. Look at it as an opportunity for you to actually change perception of albinism. Remember how you grew up. Remember how people really treated you.'"


The third born in a family of four children, her youngest sibling was also born with albinism. Hopa grew up with seemingly little to complain about, doted on by a filmmaker mother and an engineer father who never missed a chance to tell her she was "the most beautiful little girl".

But even in South Africa, where reports of albinos being murdered and their organs trafficked are extremely rare, she encountered prejudice and misunderstanding.
Strangers hugged her as a symbol of good luck, others spat to fight her bad luck. Teachers misread her poor eyesight -– a side effect of albinism –- as her being mentally challenged.

"The dress was gorgeous –- black and green. I can tell you, I have never felt so expensive in my life, she said in regards to her first modelling job on the runway.

But I was actually so scared because in essence that was the first time I really walked in heels. I was even saying a little prayer when I was walking, 'God, please don't let me fall on this catwalk!' I was absolutely frightened."

For all it's brought her now, there was a time when Hopa was distressed by the realisation that she was different, when as a self-conscious girl of 12, increasingly aware of boys and her changing body, she ran to her father in tears.
"I came crying, and I said, 'Why am I not like other children? Everybody makes fun of me and I have to wear these stupid hats, and I always have to put on sun cream.' And I was crying and crying.
"And you know, my father is a wonderful man, but he doesn't really know how to deal very well with emotions. So he looked at me, and said, 'My child, let me be honest with you: when you were born, I was also shocked!'"

It's a memory she can laugh at now she's 25 and confident.


Source: AFP

66 comments:

Alloy Chikezie said...

Ghost mode!

Your comment will be visible after approval

ary said...

She is daring!!!

NaijaDeltaBabe said...

Proud n happy

Unknown said...

She fine small sha...

APPLELIPX said...

Tbh, she so look appealing at all
The make up even made it worst
But I commend her courage

AbokiDaWarriBoy said...

Aww you are so beautiful just the way you are.Thando is a Bae.

Anonymous said...

pretty albino...........









meenah_wakil on instagram

Steady said...

You dey give albino hope Abi? On your own o

Anonymous said...

pretty albino...........









meenah_wakil on instagram

Anonymous said...

pretty albino...........









meenah_wakil on instagram

Unknown said...

Afin re oo

Unknown said...

Afin o kin riran osan.

COLLIN said...

She culd be am inspiration to albinos especially in naija....ur skin can be smooth

Unknown said...

Chei! If u jam dis one for night on a lonely path. Ebelebe!

Trendyify said...

Choi























it is well

Unknown said...

Wow! What a brave start and break

Anonymous said...

She looks good


For all your quality and affordable female wears, accessories, handbags and footwear,kindly add us on bbm pin: 2bb40d42, we deliver at ur doorstep thank you.

Unknown said...

wow lovely.. Like her self confidence

Eze said...

Sholes way scary and ugly.........na this type Tanzanians suppose they use for there rituals

Eze said...

Sholes way scary and ugly.........na this type Tanzanians suppose they use for there rituals

Unknown said...

loooool ah ah? her father sha..'' when you were born I was shocked'' she is a brave woman and an encouragement to others nice one Hopa

Unknown said...

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said..
.
""'My child, let me be honest with you: when you were born, I was also shocked!'"" lmaoooooo.... Her dad is really a comedian though.... She try shah..
.
.
***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

MADE IN NIGERIA said...

Awwwwww, she is beautiful in her own way....truly inspiring

Anonymous said...

Lol @'My child, let me be honest with you: when you were born, I was also shocked!'"

Unknown said...

Wow....interesting. Wish her the best.



#TeamBlessed#

Unknown said...

No comment

Unknown said...

Wow. Kudos. Really shocking

Anonymous said...

Linda you are wicked!

Anonymous said...

Linda, once again you are wicked!

Unknown said...

The dad's response...lol. That was just mean

Debbie Chelsea said...

Eya

benny said...

ewwwwww.....her face doe

Unknown said...

wow interesting,be happy dear

Jasmine Joseph said...

Ok, that's great. But d make-up in d first pic is too much abeg

Jules said...

...and she's pretty

Anonymous said...

yet, lady gaga has bleached her hair and eyebrows to look like u. oh!

Unknown said...

usu aka BAT.




linda take cover.

Anonymous said...

lol....her fathers respond tho......am happy she is embracing who she is...its a sad reality that we humans just will hurt people cos they are different and you cant understand why they are who they are.....God bless your hustle girl

dessymal said...

Wooow!!! she has a BRIGHT future

Unknown said...

Real Eboo in Edo language

Unknown said...

Real Eboo in Edo language

Anonymous said...

Kinda looks like Lady Gaga...

Unknown said...

No comment or whatsoever on this...

Anonymous said...

Haahhhaahhaaa....."he was shockd'



Theresa urateh#password ish#

Juleslouis said...

Ehyah! Its not like its her fault that she's an albino. This world and stigmatization sha.

Anonymous said...

Love the Afro

bummyla said...

The Colour Of Your Skin Does Not Define Who You Are And What You Will Be In The Future!



http://www.bummyla.com

Unknown said...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. If I see her in d night I wil consult d pope for deliverance. She looks quite cool but scary.

Unknown said...

Good for her

Unknown said...

She's defntly a biuty.....white or black or yellow..

www.lexhansplace.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

A beautiful and courageous woman. I hope this changes how people see Albinism. It's not funny. Let's try to treat them more kindly.

Unknown said...

Bravo to her for not feeling inferior.
Faceoflib

Unknown said...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. If I see her in d night I wil consult d pope for deliverance. She looks quite cool but scary.

andre kelvin said...

Kinda cute

Unknown said...

Truly I salute her courage, amidst all d discrimination she grew above it all

Unknown said...

All i can say is WOW!

Anonymous said...

God Punish you. Idiot. Look at who is talking. You're so ugly. You shouldn't even be using your pic.

You're a monster.
Half monkey half beast.

TEEMAHDEE said...

Go Thando! Am an albino and am proud of her

TEEMAHDEE said...

Go Thando! Am an albino and am proud of her

Ikuku AmStrong said...

Hmmm. Very beautiful. Typical example of making the most of whatever you have. #EveryDisadvantageHasAdvantageInIt #Word

Unknown said...

beautiful courageous girl..

Anonymous said...

Buahahahahahaha her father's statement was just hilarious. Really nice of her to use this opportunity as a way to encourage others.

Unknown said...

These are the kind of people we are suppose to fight for acceptance and love. They are beautiful and wonderfully made by God. They are usually very intelligent and brilliant. Thumbs up to you girl!

Anonymous said...

Heya I admire her optimism
~D great anonymous!

Eze said...

Lmao.....go female hostel and drink urine

Unknown said...

She encourage herself, that's good.

Recent Posts