Journalist Abiola Aloba narrates his terrifying experience with armed robbers in Lagos | Welcome to Linda Ikeji's Blog

LI_Leaderboard_4

LI_Leaderboard_1

LI_Leaderboard_2

LI_Leaderboard_3

Friday 3 June 2016

Journalist Abiola Aloba narrates his terrifying experience with armed robbers in Lagos

Journalist Abiola Aloba, took to his Facebook page to share his experience with armed robbers in his area yesterday June 2nd. He wrote;
"Am still trying to get out of it, even as I write this my hands are still shaking!!! Since about 11plus pm last nite when I experienced what was like a movie part where I was one of the actors playing a role.
I had gotten home and as usual there was no light, that alone after a very trying day was thoroughly deflating, I noticed that the Generator too wasn't on and that added to the frustrating situation, so I decided there and then that whatever it was I was going to go look for fuel, that was if that was what the problem was.

So I thought to decongest the car first, as I had bought a few provisions and things for the house. As soon as I got upstairs i checked and confirmed that nothing was wrong with the generator, except that there was truly no fuel. So after dropping off my bags and other things , I left to go to the Mobil filling station at Maryland. I had wanted to leave my personal bag in the car at first and then decided against that at the last minute as it had my international passport, some other documents and my bank things.
So to Maryland I headed, got to the station without any incidence, bought fuel for the car and also for the generator and then engine oil and in my mind, I was already so happy I wasn't going to sleep in the dark.
From Maryland to Ilupeju, then the Anthony bridge going towards Gbagada. I was on the main express road just cruising and in my own world, I just noticed off handed on my right on the service lane a minivan. I didn't think anything of it, only just noticed that they were trying to keep up. So I just zoomed off thinking who are this one, who wants to compete with anyone at this kind of time. Apparently they had noticed me well and were biding their time.
Just as I was approaching the Mobil filling station at Gbagada and I trafficated so I could climb the bridge, I just noticed that the minivan accelerated suddenly and drove past quite suddenly to go ahead of me on the bridge. I was shocked, but still thought the driver and whoever might be in the minivan were either drunk and were baiting for some reactions. So I was behind and they were driving in front of me.
But since the bad driving of a few seconds before, my instinct had kicked in and i was just a bit alert. Not a few more seconds later, Lo and behold as we climbed the bridge in front of the filling station going to the other side, right at the middle I noticed that the minivan was slowing down and then suddenly stopped!
In a split second, I saw a door opening, thinking quickly that what was it that was about happening , I quickly engaged my reverse and was trying to move back, that surprised them a bit, but since it was pitch dark, I hit a culvert and couldn't move further, when they saw this, they started moving towards me again. My mind just said run for your life. In a split second, I had jumped down and ran down the bridge in the dark shouting thieves ole!! Ole!!! The only thing I heard was hey! Stop! For where!!!
As I spoke to my legs, my tempo of acceleration increased till I ran to the Mobil station for help. I was thoroughly shaken to my bones. I had just escaped a robbery/kidnap attempt!!!
I shouted at the station got some people's attention, who I explained to what had just happened. That was when I was told it was a recurring decimal. People get robbed and are driven around for hours till they are released!!!! What!!!!!! These people said we should go back up the bridge, I was scared shitless. But I summoned the courage and up we went treading very carefully.
Lo and behold, there was my car, ignition on, headlights still on, driver's side door ajar, just a few things scattered nothing missing!!!
What had apparently saved my car was that it had climbed the culvert and was hooked, not able to go forward or backward!!! Also what had saved me from tumbling backwards was the aluminum railings. So apart from escaping the attack, I could have tumbled over!!!
It took close to 2 hours before we could move the car afterwards, we had to get a towing vehicle, who exploited the situation asking for a crazy amount. I just had to agree just to get out and away from the black spot.
It was whilst we were struggling to get my car out of the ditch, that more stories of attacks and robberies were told me. So that spot was a fair ground for robbers!!!! A particular story of a person was told, whose car was stopped exactly like mine and then the dude was locked in the boot of his own car and was driven afterwards to an ATM to withdraw about 150k, then later driven to another ATM after 12am to remove another 150k.
So just imagine that one is stopped and you have no money on you and even in one's ATM? What could have happened is left for the imagination.
It was early this morning that I knew I could have beaten a Justin Gatlin or even the world record holder in a 100 meters dash. Boy!!!! Can I run!!!!
I thank the God of the Spirits of the prophets for His grace upon my life. Am still in shock though grateful. Those useless trees around that bridge allows for cover for many of these robberies.
We all need to be careful!

35 comments:

Davido's driver said...

Thank God for sparing him

Unknown said...

Nna na wa o! Linda take note!

Olaaliu said...

Will read later,,no time

Unknown said...

ThankGod 4 his life! We shud be expecting more of such stories coz of how things are now.. We can only pray that God protects us and our loved ones..

Anonymous said...

Beautification of Lagos State. Now a robbery zone. Thank God for preserving the life of His people

QL Homes said...

QL Wears: Want to look dapper and exquisite?
BBM: 2754B912, Call: 08130373753
Whatsapp: 08034334692.

Unknown said...

wow! i sabi dat place but didnt know such things happen there o. chai! thank God it wasnt more than this. vigilance, prayers always ooooo.....

Pretty face said...

The many consequences of "change"

Kay said...

hmmmm, naija!!!!, sadly I had the same experience two years ago in my area, it was around 9.30am I was just returning from a church programe, all of a sudden a Mercedes Benz 190 overtook me sharply and when I noticed the movement was suspicious I slowed down, almost immediately the car double crossed me, four hefty armed men jumped down from the vehicle pointing the gun at me shouting get down, get down, but my kind of person won't give up without a fight, so I quickly put my car on reverse , they started shooting in the air but I kept going until one of my tyres fell into the gutter. I quickly opened my door while they were still shooting and ran as fast as I could. luckily they didn't touch anything in my car. so my brother I know how you felt. and trust me it's only the grace of God that gives you the guts to act at that point.

Unknown said...

Hmmmmmmm pele

Unknown said...

Smh for this country. It is Well!

Anonymous said...

Gbagada is a constant spot for armed robbers , everybody knows this

Anonymous said...

Rosie Said.......Sorry my brother and thank God that you escaped with your life!!!!,this is the world we live in more so Lagos-Nigeria.Throughout your ordeal,no policeman,no 911...Sad

Anonymous said...

Rosie Said.......Sorry my brother and thank God that you escaped with your life!!!!,this is the world we live in more so Lagos-Nigeria.Throughout your ordeal,no policeman,no 911...Sad

Anonymous said...

THAT SPOT IN GBAGADA HAS BECOME VERY NOTORIOUS FOR ROBBERIES.POLICE SHOULD TAKE NOTE!

Anonymous said...

THAT SPOT IN GBAGADA HAS BECOME VERY NOTORIOUS FOR ROBBERIES.POLICE SHOULD TAKE NOTE!

APPLE said...

Thank God for your life. But my guy, you are a good story teller lol.

Anonymous said...

Just comment. Ezi ohia

Baba4dgirls said...

I'm so sorry for your experience, I was robbed on the 3rd of January and was kidnapped in my car driven for hours to 2 different ATMs to withdraw the limit for the day. Eventually, my car was used to steal another car and I was told to go. I just thank God that I am still alive. It could have been worse.They made away with valuables and cash.

These thieves operate a lot around Gbagada, Ikorodu-road, Ilupeju axis.

God keep us all

Unknown said...

He wz lucky
-D great anonymous now as Vivian Reginalds

Anonymous said...

Dis guy dey always hold weapon NA...his mouth odour NA die,he for just opun mouth fih dem

Anonymous said...

I still said it today, with this hardship, Robbery will b back. Noway of avoiding it! I often wonder y dey don't have a mobile police car stationed at DAT spot... Dark and lonely path

Anonymous said...

I still said it today, with this hardship, Robbery will b back. Noway of avoiding it! I often wonder y dey don't have a mobile police car stationed at DAT spot... Dark and lonely path

Anonymous said...

Thank God for his mercy on you bro. And thank you for sharing this as thus has been my route for the past 7 months and I move very late at night. May God continue to protect us. AMEN

dafetuga70 said...

Baba Alabo.thank God for provision n protection of life.

Anonymous said...

Nigeria, needs a good policing system and CCTV , how can these dare devil be holding people to ransome?

Your best wishes said...

Childish commentators,thanks for wreaking havoc on Linda's blog.Did one fool just say 'no time to read'?Linda,dump these idiots!

Anonymous said...

Thank God for His mercies. U'll make a good author(suspense filled). U sabi gist...

Unknown said...

Logos na whaaa, this don't happen in onitsha.

Anonymous said...

May God continue to bless your life sir and thanks for sharing your experience. You write so well too, people should always share their experiences like this for others to learn from.

Anonymous said...

Which wan be God of the spirit of the prophet? Which God do you believe in? U be idol worshipper? Confused much

Unknown said...

Thank God 4 serving ur life, may He be praise now and 4ever.

Anonymous said...

Where are the hundreds of cars purportedly given to the Lagos State police by the Lagos State government. Why are not some of these cars and armoured vehicles stationed in that place which has now become a black spot. Or are the concerned authorities being settled from the proceeds of these crimes.

Unknown said...

This Juliet is just a retard. A dullard for sure. Can Linda just blacklist this iti

Anonymous said...

And one agent was trying to convince me to rent a house in Gbagada. Lol. Thank God for your life bro. As for me, I have ended night + early morning waka for now except I am with people

Recent Posts