Drowned Lagos politician’s remains found, buried | Welcome to Linda Ikeji's Blog

LI_Leaderboard_4

LI_Leaderboard_1

LI_Leaderboard_2

LI_Leaderboard_3

Thursday 21 July 2011

Drowned Lagos politician’s remains found, buried

Late Mustain Abaniwonda
Forty-eight hours after he slipped and got drowned in the Lagos lagoon, the remains of Lagos politician Mustain Abaniwonda were finally retrieved and buried yesterday afternoon at the Victoria Court Cemetery, Lagos. 

His remains were found floating face-up deep into the sea by a search party 48 hours after he slipped into the lagoon in Marina and was swept away by the tidal waves.

His family have denied he jumped into the lagoon, they insist he slipped and drowned when help didn't come to him on time. What they told the press when you continue...



The late Abaniwonda's widow
His widow said: “Though, this is a very sober period for me because I can’t still believe that my husband is no more; yet, I commit the reporters of such falsehood to God. My husband had been diabetic for many years. But do we have to tell everyone that? That was our own family challenge and we bore it. He urinated a lot because he had no stamina to hold it. We were once issued ticket in the US because he could not hold himself and we packed in a wrong place.
“And why would he jump into the lagoon if I may ask you? He wasn’t owing anybody. He did not, and I repeat, borrow any money for the election. He did not fight anybody. He had no cause for such.

“Our marriage was an open relationship. I can tell you everything about my husband and he can do same for me.

“To us, it was nothing unusual that he urinated a lot. His driver was well aware of the situation too. So, if as the driver said, my husband had asked him to stop for him to urinate; it was a usual thing. 

“So, as the driver told us.They were on their way from an official engagement in Apapa yesterday, Monday, when my husband in his usual manner told him to stop so he could pee. My husband got down apparently to look for where to urinate. He was said to have asked some boys around and they showed him the public toilet. We learnt that on getting to the toilets, they were locked and he couldn’t wait for the person with the key. Not knowing that the sides of the public toilets were slippery; he positioned himself to pee, but rather he slipped into the lagoon. And that’s the point at which the problem began.

“The driver said he was still waiting for him in the car when someone knocked on his car window and told him that the man he brought to the place had fallen into the water. He quickly ran out of the car towards the place. 

“He said on getting there, he found his boss flapping the water while shouting “someone please help me, someone please help me”... Quickly, the driver jumped across a pile of ruined boats to the office of the Marine officers to alert them that my husband had fallen into the shallow side of the water on the other side. But instead of answering him, they started harassing him for jumping across the boat.

“The driver said when he got to the scene; the water only covered my husband to the waist. But by the time he was running helter-skelter looking for help, he had been lowered to the shoulders, then to the neck and then he could not see my husband’s head again.

“I had to order that the driver should be quickly released when I learnt that he had been locked up. 
 
 
“There is no foul play in the unfortunate incident that happened to my husband. I believe he could have been rescued if the Marine Officers had responded to the cry immediately it happened. But like I said, it is the way God wanted things to go, if not, it wouldn’t have happened. 

Mrs Abaniwonda said as Muslims they must accept God’s verdict no matter the circumstance.

Ms. Omoyosola Alade Abaniwonda, 27, who spoke on behalf of the children said: “My daddy had an incurable phobia for water. He never went near water and even used to scold us whenever he learnt that we went to the beach to swim. Instead of taking us to the beach, he could spend thousands of dollars on us to buy things to distract us from the waters. How could a man whose second daughter got married barely a month ago and who had already named his yet-to-be-born grandson Omobolaji commit suicide? Never! For what? He would never do such a thing! My father went out in good spirits on Monday.”

The late Abaniwonda’s son-in-law, Yomi, who said he was the first to be called by the driver said: “I was along Kingsway Road, Ikoyi, Lagos, when the driver called me that daddy had fallen inside the lagoon. But because my mum was in the car with me, I just said okay, Daddy’s calling me? Tell him I’ll be there now. So, I quickly dropped my mother in my office and sped to the scene.

“On getting here, I located the driver and he recounted the incident. Immediately, I walked into the office of the Marine officers and met an officer in uniform. I identified myself as the son of the person in the water and told him that my dad fell into the water a few minutes ago. He told me that there were no divers around. 

“I told him that I could swim if I can get a life jacket or vest because at that time, we could not see his body on the surface of the water again. He told me that they had no life jacket. He then pointed me to private divers and rescuers. So, I went to meet the private rescuers and they told me that I should pay N150, 000. I told them to go ahead"

Culled from the Nation Newspaper

May his soul rest in peace...amen.

17 comments:

Allegra said...

Whatever the case, I pray for his family at this time. May his sould rest in peace.

Galore said...

May the soul all the departed rest in peace........Reporters should mind what they report on,,its not bcos they want their newspapers to sell,they should gv the readers false stories,,they should try and investigate stories properly...

LG said...

RIP

Michael Techme Monwuba said...

Hmm...May his soul find rest!

SOLA said...

No diver! No swimmer! No this, no that! Lord have mercy

RIP sir!

Anonymous said...

What a different account from the original story. And unfortunately this sounds like a more plausible version of events.

wivesroundtable said...

hmmmm, i am at a loss for words really. different versions of the story.who knows excatly what happened. all i can say is may he find eternal peace, amen

Anonymous said...

his body was found face-up
according to aown agba
if you find a body face-up after days then he died a natural death
as in not awon aiye kinda deaths(you get my drift)
so pls people let this rest he DIDN'T commit suicide
it was an unfortunate accident
he slipped and fell and prolly became delirious

and the foolish people there that refused to help until they were sorted began the lies about him swimming away and not wanting to be saved bla bla bla cz they know they will be in trouble when the truth surfaced.

I dont know him,I dont know his family and /or kids
Its just that I am tired of MOST Nigerians with conniving/lying ways.

The way we carry celebrities gist wether truth or not
these people are humans and they have feelings,they have people that love them,
we need to evaluate ourselves and stop acting like morons/jerks.

just like what people are saying about Nkiru,genevieve et al It could be true and it might be a lie
if youre not sure if its true then STFU and stop spreading the gist period.

thats why most people around are depressed and sad carrying heavy burdens about because some ass-holes keep lying and saying shit about them.
and yes I know that,cause I almost jumped into the lagoon some 10years ago out of depression from shit like this.

Anonymous said...

very sad..May his soul rest in perfect peace.

Esteem said...

Halihamdulillahi is body was found, Please for the sake us still leaving and do not wish for such an ugly accident in our life's and for any of our relatives... we should please let the story die a natural death. the lessons behind this whole story should be well taken.

Esteem said...

Hallhamdulillahi the body was found, it is from God that we came into this world and to Him, shall all return. These stories that we've all read from various magazines and blogs are for a purpose... let us all learn from it that the end is imminent and we can be called at any point in time, do JUST at all time. May Allah (SWT) gives the family the fortitude to accept the lost in good faith.

Anonymous said...

what is happening in this country? people dont value their lifes anymore. NA WAAH

Sugabelly said...

Obviously the moral of the story here is: LEARN HOW TO SWIM

Anonymous said...

anon 5:49pm ... did you even read the post at all?
this version of events sounds more plausible and i'm definitely more inclined to believe this.
Maybe he was low on glucose as well. its a pity.
as for the awon agba thing, it is probably true
May God give his family the fortitude to bear the loss

ALAKS said...

May his gentle soul rest in perfect peace, and may GOD gives the family he left behind the fortitude to bear the loss, amin.

AJI said...

The man died of SYSTEM FAILURE.No health service to control his diabetes, No basic public toilet facilities, No emergency service and death of our highly reverred cultural and moral values ( Local divers demanded N150,000.00 to save life while marine police look the other way).Nigerians must see beyond "attacks" and Learn the lesson of civilised society.

Anonymous said...

thanks Aji...God bless you with more wisdom. Nigerians (even the educated) one are so ignorant and due to obsessive religions, are so allergic to common sense they blame everything on attack or evil spirit. the man fell and drowned, yet some are still insisting is awon aiye..like what the heck? someone is drowning and people have the audacity to demand money in this kind of situation? are you friggin kidding me? that country is hopeless.what happened to the good samaritan deed?

Recent Posts