16yr-old science pupil found hanging at Kankon Model College | Welcome to Linda Ikeji's Blog

LI_Leaderboard_4

LI_Leaderboard_1

LI_Leaderboard_2

LI_Leaderboard_3

Saturday 16 April 2011

16yr-old science pupil found hanging at Kankon Model College

Richard Ejiofor
While the SS3 pupils of the Government Model College, Kankon, Badagry, Lagos, write their West African School Certificate exams this year, one person – Richard Ejiofor – will be marked absent at the examination hall. The 16-year-old science pupil was discovered hanging from an uncompleted building in the school last week.


I was at work on April the 6th when I got a call from the Vice-Principal (Administration) of the school. He asked me where I was and said I should start coming home. He didn’t say anything more,” Roselyn, Richard’s mother, told CRIME DIGEST. “I asked him what the problem was, but he just said I should come home. I called my son’s guardian at school and asked him if there was a problem, but he didn’t say anything was amiss. So, I told my boss what happened and began the journey home; my office is at Apapa.”

Before she started her journey, Roselyn called her husband, Henry, who was in Port Harcourt and informed him of what was happening. “When my wife told me she got a call from Ejiofor’s VP asking her to come home, I knew something was wrong. I asked her to text me the VP’s number and I called him immediately I got it. I identified myself as Ejiofor’s father and asked what the problem was, but the VP would say nothing. It was when I told him that I was a police officer that the VP handed over the phone to a police officer, who was with him at the time. It was this policeman who told me that my son, Richard, was dead; he had been found hanging from an uncompleted building that morning.

“Immediately, I thought of my wife who was on her way home and unaware of what had happening. I started calling all my relatives to go home and be with her. I also called her boss and informed him too,” Henry says.

Meanwhile, Roselyn, who was still on her way home at Ketu – Ijanikin, got another call from the VP, who asked her to proceed to her mother-in-law’s house instead. “I was surprised when he said that and asked why I was going to my mother-in-law’s house instead of mine; both homes are just are few houses apart. Eventually, when I got to my mother-in-law’s house, I noticed there were many people there. The VP, Richard’s school guardian, a school nurse, a permanent secretary from the Ministry of Education and some whom I couldn’t remember now were all there, waiting for me,” Roselyn says.

The VP began by telling the already apprehensive mother that Richard had fallen critically ill that morning and had been rushed to the school’s sick bay. “He told me Richard was transferred to the Badagry General Hospital when his condition didn’t improve. At the hospital, his condition became horrible but that the doctors did all they could. It was at this point I realised that he was trying to tell me Richard was dead,” Roselyn says, fighting back tears. She was to learn the actual manner of Richard’s death later.

Henry, however, has rejected the school’s theory of suicide. “Richard was not suicidal; that boy was murdered. The school claimed that he was found by his schoolmate who had come out of the hostel at about 5 am to pack his clothes, hanging from an uncompleted building. They also said it was his classmates who brought down his body. How did my son get out of the hostel when they are usually locked in by a house master at night? His guardian told me that he had checked on Richard at the hostel the night before and saw him. Besides, my son’s corpse still has his school uniform, socks and shoes on it. If he really hanged himself in the middle of the night, would he still be in his school uniform at that time?” Henry asked. He described Richard as a happy child, who did not keep so many friends. “We’re waiting for an autopsy to determine the cause of the death. I want to know what really happened; I want justice.”

The VP could not be reached for comments as his phone was switched off. At the ministry of education Alausa, the PRO Mr. Bakare referred CRIME DIGEST to the Deputy Governor’s office for the ministry’s official response.

Mrs. Toun Oladapo the Chief Press secretary to Lagos State Deputy Governor Mrs. Sarah Sosan told CRIME DIGEST that an official response would be made available to SATURDAY PUNCH. As at the time of this publication, the response had not been received.

Both parents, however, can’t recall Richard having problems with anyone at school. “The last time he came home, Richard told me a classmate owed him N1,500. I wasn’t happy and urged him never to lend such a sum out because it might not be easy to get it back. Besides, he has never mentioned any serious problem with anyone. I spoke to my son on Monday, two days before his death. He called me from a pay phone at school to remind me about his visiting day, which was Sunday the 10th. He wanted me to bring provisions. I didn’t know that was the last time I would hear his voice,” Roselyn says.

“We have also not been able to speak with any of his friends. You know it is a boarding school and they are still in session,” Henry says.

When CRIME DIGEST contacted the Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Samuel Jinadu, he said police investigations revealed foul play.

“The police have reasons to suspect a foul play in this case. It was said that the deceased had hanged himself with his school blanket, but there was no sign of struggle on the corpse as is expected in a suicide; there were no blood stains on the blanket either. The matter has been transferred to the SCID Panti for discreet investigation and two members of staff have been arrested,” Jinadu said.

So sad, may his soul rest in peace...amen.
Source: Punch Newspaper

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

God please help us put a stop to deaths of youths...this is getting so scary,the fact that the are still years n years for these young pple if they didnt die gives me so much pain and all I pray to God is to draw us closest to Him.
May the good Lord grant his parents strenght to bear the loss n we all to bury our parents at rip ages n not the other way round,RIP!

Isabella said...

Its so sad to read this type of story,the boy couldn't have killed himself,Nigerians are not suicidal in nature.I hope the police find out who did this barbaric act and bring him or her to justice.May God console his parents.Isabella

Isabella said...

Its so sad to read this type of story,the boy couldn't have killed himself,Nigerians are not suicidal in nature.I hope the police find out who did this barbaric act and bring him or her to justice.May God console his parents.Isabella

Anonymous said...

I don't know- they really ought to investigate rather than concluding that this boy hung himself- suicide is a relatively rare phenomenon among adolescents. There should be serious investigation; usually when someone is about to commit suicide, there would be some signs and perhaps a suicide note as people who commit suicide tend to give alot of thought and or signs. I should know- a very close relative committed suicide- acted rather weirdly in the lead up to it but the family missed signs- later it turned out that the relative committed suicide due to loneliness and depression.

ibiluv said...

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Tobi said...

This is extremely saddening!
I feel so sorry for the boy's parents, they raised their child for maybe 17 years, and now he's gone. What are they going to say? God have mercy! I just pray that he was not their only child. May God grant them strength and peace all around.
And if someone actually murdered him, I pray that the person comes to terms with what he has done and confess.
Sad, sad story!

www.oluwatobiadelakun.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

@ anonymous 10:21, it is rather common for adolescents to commit suicide, its actually the number 2 leading cause of death in teens in the US. Its very sad that this has happened, like you said there are usually clues leading up to suicide, i think more Nigerians should be made aware that this can happen and it is happening and get help for these children before it leads this. May his soul rest in peace. Such a sad story

Pumpkin said...

@ anonymous 10:21. I do agree with you. In Ireland Sucide is the number one cause of death among teens. It is so bad that they banned Sean Kingston Song "Beautiful Girls" on the radio! Yes it does happen even among nigerians. We need to accept it exists. But then again... maybe this needs to be investigated a little further. Such a waste of young life. Really Sad...

Anonymous said...

This is surely fowl play...this was the same way they found my cousin's body hanging in an uncompleted building few years ago claiming he hung himself, which was totally false. Even though there was no investigation till today, i still believe he was killed and then hung to make it look like suicide. May his soul RIP.

Anonymous said...

i read this yest in the Dailies and was sad,as a mother to be ...i know quite a bit of how much his parents esp his mother went thru to see him up to this stage and he went like the wind.It is really Sad,that is why whenever i pray i thank God for our parents and ask that we our selves would live to eat the fruits of our Labor,need i add..."We shall not bury Our children".
i strongly believe he was murdered,i am so sorry if otherwise tho,at the rate with which ours secondary school students act with so much viciousness,and maturity(in a hurry,blamed on jet age) and some secondary schools already have cults so it could be a case of something of some sort!
i wish him peace in his Journey onwards!

Corve said...

I don't know what is happening but there has been an upsurge in suicides in Jamaica as well...with teenagers.

We need to rescue the next generation.

Anonymous said...

I think the Hostel Guardian is not telling the truth. Students in hostel do not sleep with their uniforms on and he said that he saw the boy that night. This is MURDER. The parents should get to the root and end of this matter. The classmates, friends and the Guardian should be quizzed very well to get leads to the solution. Boarding schools are now horrible.

Anonymous said...

i graduated from this school yrsss back and definately do not believe this story.
1. students ake up @ 5am to go for morning prep and everyone is always in a hurry to cause it satrts @6 so ow did this so called friend see him in an uncompleted building

2. you dare not be caught in ur uniform after school anyone who went to lasmock knows what i mean

3. i dont know what house this boy belong to, but the hostels i knew back den did not have space to up any structure behind or around it, so which uncompleted building are we talking about here.

this boys death may not have been delibrate but cooking this suicide thing up is pretty vexing.they should just come out wiv the truth.......this never wld have happened if Owoade was still principal

Anonymous said...

i actually schooled in kankon and i know the kind of ethics they possess, maybe their security measure has slackened but i still dont believe a student will mureder a fellow student,it could be a spiritual attack, anything is possible... the police should investigate the issue properly, i pray his gentle soul rest in peace and God should comfort his parents.. hope kankon will be able to recover from this because its real bad news

Unknown said...

This is soooo sad. The police must get to the bottom of this and that Hostel Guard must be investigated.

Anonymous said...

I schooled in kankon, this absolutely shocking, this school then use to be the dream of many parents that their children should go to, what has happened to our great school?only God knows what happened to this boy, may the good lord comfort his parents and loved ones make the truth of this whole issue be revealed in Jesus name.Amen

Anonymous said...

God help us.it is not possible that the boy killed himself,he must have being strangled by some one either one of his classmate or someone that knows his parent or an enemy to the family must have done that to see the family in pain's .

aigee said...

this is so heartbreaking.this child did not kill himself.he didnt.they should investigate his classmates. my heart goes out to his family

Lady T said...

So sad! See his smiling face, so young and so handsome you don't deserve to die like that.

O God eternal rest grant onto him O lord.

Anonymous said...

i so so sad, May God give the family the strength to carry on, i gauduated from kankon and such never happened during my time. it is shoking, I pray they get to the root of this case cos it is disheartening.

Recent Posts