Shalamar's Jeffrey Daniel is relocating to Nigeria | Welcome to Linda Ikeji's Blog

LI_Leaderboard_4

LI_Leaderboard_1

LI_Leaderboard_2

LI_Leaderboard_3

Tuesday 11 January 2011

Shalamar's Jeffrey Daniel is relocating to Nigeria

The 55year old former Shalamar member and Nigerian Idol judge is taking up residence in Nigeria.

"I'm reading everything about Nigeria, building a library, reading from Wole Soyinka to Chimamanda Adichie, before colonialism and after. I must learn a lot of it if I must stay here. I have to know the people and the history. Despite all the negativity of the last 50 years, Nigerians are still resilient. I was raised in the black area of LA and there we believe that everything we need we can get from the ghetto. Nigeria is a big ghetto to me and I respect it. Here, no matter how little you have, you can eat and survive at all the different levels. Universally we black people have learnt how to survive all situations. In the US, they say if you can make it in New York, you can make it anywhere, but I say if you can make it in Lagos you really can make it anywhere. I'm relocating to Lagos soon" Jeffrey Daniel to an Encomium reporter.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, good. I wonder if he's traced his roots to Nigeria?

Anonymous said...

He just called my country a ghetto in a nice way!

Before you can claim you are a true Nigerian, you need to let go of your American passport - so you cant run when the going gets tough!

Yes I said it!!

Anonymous said...

NIgeria is not a big ghetto!

Anonymous said...

Alicia says...

TYPICAL HAS-BEEN!
stay in America, please....

Anonymous said...

I wish him well. But Naija is not a ghetto. The Nigeria of today is the product of Nigerians, if it must be better, it has to be done by Nigerians.

Nigerian Film and TV Addict said...

i'm sorry i think he's lost. it's strange when someone like him tells me they're relocating to Nigeria. he's a has been and wants to make money off us... Nigerian Idol, MBGN?

Anonymous said...

@ anon 7:17pm

If it has to be done by Nigerians, I guess Nigerians have done a great job over the years, with all the recent news coming from Nigeria. First, failure of government, greed, many of Nigerians living in poverty, no infrastructure, no major good hospitals etc. I can count the number of Nigerians who truly care for their country and making changes to make it better. Common now, let's stop being in a state of denial.

I will like to know the difference between the ghetto here in America and many places in Lagos. Maybe some people live in big houses in Lekki or Victoria Island but the roads, basic necessities are lacking. An average American is in a better position than a average Nigerian in Nigeria. So, if he calls Nigeria a big ghetto, it makes sense because that's the only way he can describe the condition of people in Nigeria.

Anonymous said...

has been

Anonymous said...

that's actually true. Nigeria especially Lagos is one giant ghetto.

Anonymous said...

Well he isnt of much use na.....he is over 50!!!! (just kidding o!)...a fifty year old Jeffery daniel is far better than an able bodied average dancer!!!

N.I.L (Naijamum in London) said...

mmmm......My only issue is with his comment.....'Nigeria is a big ghetto to me and I respect it.'

This 'insult and compliment' combination makes me feel he still has a lot to learn about Nigeria.

Wish him the best of luck though.

Unknown said...

Good luck to him!

Anonymous said...

Jeffrey Daniel - this washed up has been wey im career don kpafuka for yankee since the nineteen eighties?? Should be glad that someone pitied him and gave him a gig on Nigerian Idol - so he can sustain himself! dont bite the hand that feeds you...Mr Daniels. No open mouth dey yab Nigeria - it might be a ghetto, but its our ghetto ...

Anonymous said...

HOW wont he relocate to Nigeria. Nigeria is a treasure mine for him. You no see as he dey hungry. Ho he no go relocate, for america who dey look him, na ex-musician now. unny enough, he was not a member of the original shalamar

Anonymous said...

has anyone noticed he looks like osoufia?

Anonymous said...

Naija is our ghetto and we love it if he likes let him not mind himself with the use of his language i am sorry for him rubbish nonsense ghetto ko ghetto ne with that big mouth of his!!!

Recent Posts