My ordeal at the hands of CBD officials - Lola Talabi Oni | Welcome to Linda Ikeji's Blog

LI_Leaderboard_4

LI_Leaderboard_1

LI_Leaderboard_2

LI_Leaderboard_3

Tuesday 23 August 2011

My ordeal at the hands of CBD officials - Lola Talabi Oni

Lola's car
A reader of this blog wants to share a bitter experience with you all. Read below...

I’m sharing this hellish story, one to add my shout to stories of injustice and wanton immoral behavior of Lagos State Agents on our roads, and two, to ensure that ALL Lagos residents are treated with dignity and respect by officials who are paid with the enormous taxes that we as residents pay to the Lagos State Government.  On Thursday morning, around 11am, I stopped by a shop by the foot of the Apongbon bridge going into Marina to make a purchase. As I was putting my bags in the car, I see several Central Business District “agents” (what do we call them, agents, officials?) clamor about my car.  Their tow truck angling to clamp my car. 

 While still asking what was going on, one of the CBD men, jumps into my car and tells me to drive quickly if I don’t want them to clamp my car.  His name was Mutiu Balogun as I would later read on the tag of his shirt.  In the confusion, I get in the car and just start driving.  I ask him where exactly we were going and he responded, “Onikan swimming pool.” Still confused and shocked at what was happening, I asked this Mutiu exactly what I had done wrong and what the fees where.  Mutiu says he cannot tell me any offence and cannot tell me what the fines where.  At this point, quite frankly, I started to get really fearful and asked Mutiu if I could veer to the right and call my husband to come and meet me at the CBD “office” at Onikan Swimming Pool, Mutiu barks at me that I cannot call my husband.  I have no choice, and I’ve been told not to call anyone.  So I continue driving. 

Since I live right by Onikan Swimming Pool, I proceeded to drive there using the route that I normally use and I’ve used for 3 years since living in Lagos Island – Marina, turning into Joseph Street, turning into Catholic Mission Street, turning into Military Road, then onto King George.  I’ve taken this route many times.  As I turn into Joseph Street, this Mutiu Balogun immediately starts agitating and asking why I’ve turned, saying that is not the way to swimming pool.  I started to explain to him that this is the way I know and since he didn’t give me any directions, I was just taking the way I knew.  Before I knew it, this man who is taller and obviously stronger than I am, raises his hands and strongly smacks me across my chest as he attempts to shove my hands from the steering wheel. How can a public officer put his hands on me for any reason?

 The car is swerving at this point and of course a crowd had started to gather in front of Mr. Biggs on Joseph Street.  Mutiu then proceeds to use both of his hands to pull the hand breaks while the key was still in the ignition, and I was still driving.  He then starts yelling about how he’s going to show me a lesson and that by the time he is done with me, I would “pay more money than I’ve ever paid in my life”.  Through all this I was still traumatized, and the now sizeable crowd had started to beg said officer Balogun.  He stood by the driver door of my car, refusing me entry into my car and called his colleagues on the phone saying “the madam is proving difficult now, bring the towing truck.” I’m not sure how many minutes passed here, the towing truck arrives, clamps my car on Joseph Street, no word is said to me and they drive off.  I had to quickly flag down a taxi who then tells me that it is likely they are towing my car to their makeshift “office” at Onikan Swimming Pool.  I call my husband at this point and he meets me at the “office.”

This is where the true nightmare starts.  A man by the name of Abayomi Adetoro, hands me a Notification of Offence for N20,000 to be paid to “The Office of the Special Adviser on Central Business District” with a handwritten account #003503010000259, and a teller for N10,000 to be paid to City-Wide Eko Enterprises.  The Notification of Offence had no offence written on it, just the amount.  I asked Abayomi Adetoro what the offence was and he said he couldn’t tell me, “I should just go and pay”.  The back of the Notification shows that the highest fee was for “Towing of a Trailer or tanker” and/or “Driving in a direction prohibited by Road Traffic Law”.  I was neither driving a tanker, nor driving in a direction prohibited by law so I have no idea where the fee came from and no official wanted to tell me even though I asked severally for what offence it was I committed.  Furthermore, who is City-Wide Eko Enterprises?  No one at the makeshift Onikan Swimming Pool office was inclined to answer ANY of my questions.  Abayomi Adetoro even said “Mutiu just pushed me a little bit and so that was of no concern to them.”  How can a state official assault a married woman in her car and his superiors respond to me that “it was just a small push”.  The man was already in my car and we were already driving to his office, WHY HAS THIS MAN ASSAULTED ME?
I asked to speak to the manager at the makeshift office and I kept being passed back and forth to several men who upon speaking to them would tell me “Sorry I work with the fire service” or “Sorry I don’t work for CBD”.   There was no derogatory word or insult that was not thrown at me in the process.  I was yelled at, ignored, shoved aside, laughed at.  After finally reaching who was supposed to be the H.O.D, my lawyer being present at this time asked for his name, he refused to give it.  He reiterated that his “boy” was doing his job and that this is Lagos not London, and he was going to teach me a lesson.  Is this the mandate of CBD agents?  Am I to be assaulted and harassed for refusing to bribe agents and to follow the law and procedure?  Is there no recourse to appeal fines and levies?  That being that, I asked if Mutiu Balogun was doing his job as he assaulted me and this man said again, “he just pushed me”.  Are CBD Agents mandated to assault drivers in the course of fining for an infraction? 

While this was going on, my husband had gone on to in fact pay the N30,000 naira total, complete with a Lagos State Government receipt.  The said H.O.D who we later found out was called a Mr. Masorun, refused to order the release of my vehicle.  The minute I mentioned that I was heading to Area A police station to report the assault of his officer, he runs and jumps into his van and drives off.  My car spends all of Thursday, all of Friday at CBD Swimming Pool.  I paid the fine on Thursday at 2pm, WHY DID MY CAR SPEND TWO DAYS AT CBD?  On Friday, they refused to release my car still and said that myself and my lawyer have to come and apologize to them and that I have to hand over all the notes I was taking during the whole incident so they can use it “to wipe their asses”. 

Is this how Lagos works?  Are Lagos State agents above the law?  Above procedures?  More importantly, are tax-paying Lagosians not deserving of being treated with dignity and without physical assault? 

57 comments:

galore said...

Eko onii bajeee,,oba jee tii..........ds slogan no be am again oooo,,,,,,Eko don spoil tay tay.........@Linda aabeg mind your Car oooEko onii bajeee,,oba jee tii..........ds slogan no be am again oooo,,,,,,Eko don spoil tay tay.........@Linda aabeg mind your Car ooo

Anonymous said...

SMH.... this is just so appauling, I feel so sick in my stomach reading this. It's not a curse.. but so far as we have illitrates and animals in our police/traffic force, Nigeria as a looonnng way to go.

I am so sorry for ur ordeal ma'am, I hope u get justice out of this, one way or the other.

Anonymous said...

This is truly sad and should be seriously looked into. A lot of lagosians go through this and even worse everyday. How on earth do the Govt put thieves on the road and call them federal agents? the number of uniform men on the road now a days are so much i even confuse them with secondary school uniforms. How safe are we citizens?
I strongly stand against this and pray something is done on time about it.

1976AD.com said...

na wa.

Anonymous said...

now i no the reason why soldiers always beat their asses.

Kemiismyrealname said...

Na real wa

Hotnigerianews Blog said...

Is there no court that is met for the people against this kind of assault? I hate reading this. Just remind me that Nigeria is far still behind Civilization. Believe me.

Freebrowsing Link said...

Whatever this is, i hope you get justice. Who are this group anyway?

Money blog said...

This is surprising that Nigeria still not Big enough to handle this sort of things. So you pay for committing no offence? And yet there is no Body to fight this Illiterates? Ha Nigeria

Mide said...

Whoa, I empathize with you dear. The last time one of them tried that at around Onikan, he tasted my knuckles, and I didn't care what would come out of it.

You have a saint for a husband, otherwise, I would have destroyed their office.

Anonymous said...

Ma, i will like to appeal to you to forward your Complain to BRF in alausa,

He will do justice to it. Since you have a lawyer he can follow up with you.

Theresa said...

Peeps its not enough to shake our heads and say "na wa oo!" Lets take action by signing the petition at http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/stoptheassault/
Remember this same thing, or even worse, can happen to anyone unless we all appeal for change.

Anonymous said...

This story is really appalling and i'm really upset reading this. these so called agents are just illiterates and think they are above the law. I really think you should take up this case. You can write a petition against them and send to their head office and also copy their so called HOD, commissioner in charge of the CBD and also the governor. Also institute an action against the officer who hit u in the chest, u will see that they will come begging you, even if u will withdraw the case later, still shake them up. They always feel they are above the law because people dont cahllenge them.

Anonymous said...

some people are expecting something good from nigeria....sorry

toluwani said...

is fashola on facebook, someone should post this on his FB page.....or forward it to his email address. This lady need to sue them

Anonymous said...

Kai! I can't even begin to imagine the trauma this lady went through. I believe the governor has several facebook accounts? U may want to copy and paste all these details - names and dates included in a message to him or on the walls of all said accounts. There are also a few hot-headed lawyers well-versed in dealing with such. I'm so incensed, this is soooo not fair. Be sure to keep those notes and receipts u made or else ull likely lose both ur money and ur car.

Anonymous said...

Married or single woman, no official has the right to assault people.
I witnessed this animal @ work a while back and I can say without any doubt that they ceased being humans ages ago, they are plain animals in uniform.
I hope she'll be able to press charges

Anonymous said...

How can a state official assault a married woman in her car and his superiors respond to me that “it was just a small push”.


single woman don suffer for this nigeria!

Dith said...

WTF?????

Anonymous said...

Dis is so shameful..I feel pity 4 dis country..lola just take it easy n mk sure u sue their asses..they re all bunch of lunatics...may GOD punish dem

Anonymous said...

this is horrible! am so sorry for ur ordeal and this wont just slide o how can illiterates intimidate someone like this eh? kai i cant begin to type how angry i am reading this...prez jonathan or fashola should do something ooo

Anonymous said...

The Lagos state government really needs to look into the excesses of these classless touts (CBD, LASTMA, LAWMA & co)... For Pete's sake, they've become a pain in the ass of a lotta lagosians.
Mrs Lola, I'm really sorry u had to go thru that.The Lagos state government really needs to look into the excesses of these classless touts (CBD, LASTMA, LAWMA & co)... For Pete's sake, they've become a pain in the ass of a lotta lagosians.
Mrs Lola, I'm really sorry u had to go thru that.

Anonymous said...

OMG....am really sorry for your ordeal. please do not let this slide. these ppl have to knw that they cant get away with this.
Go to the police station make all the noise you can until someone hears you.

Uche said...

@ Anonymous Aug 24 4:22am and 5:27am, I would agree with you guys. The issue is not being married and getting treated that way but getting treated that way whether you are married or not, male or female, young or old.Fashola should note that his officials are poorly trained just like many public officials in other states in Nigeria. SAD...

Anonymous said...

That's why me I'm trying to get a gun, when one of these LASTMA type touts tries me I'll allow them to enter my car and show them that it's not only Boko Haram that knows how to terrorize people. Then I'll drive them all the way to Epe or Badagry and dump them in the bush... that's my fantasy anyways.

Personally I do not allow any of them to enter my car, whether I'm with a driver or not. I keep my windows wound all the way up and the doors locked. If anything needs to be said, I wind down a sliver and communicate that way. If they block me from moving, I just either start driving off and sees who values their life more or if I'm close enough, call someone I know with MOPOL attached to them for assistance.

Legalized extortion is what these people are. They don't help Lagos order, in fact they cause the most disruptions. Sorry Lola

Anonymous said...

Lola,

In Apogbon, there are car parks which are to be used for that purpose. Stopping at the foot of the bridge to shop is breaking the traffic law as that area is a No Parking Zone. This however is no excuse for the official to physically assault you but the unfortunate reality is that you were on the wrong side of the law so you are partly to blame for this ordeal

......Just Saying said...

Lola,

In Apogbon, there are car parks which are to be used for that purpose. Stopping at the foot of the bridge to shop is breaking the traffic law as that area is a No Parking Zone. This however is no excuse for the official to physically assault you but the unfortunate reality is that you were on the wrong side of the law so you are partly to blame for this ordeal

sakara said...

for some reason all these boys Fashola employed r makingLagos unbearable for people esp car owners, u know they r so overzealous n discharging their duties, just because people like Fashola does not give any of his men rights to assault citizens, for goodness we r not living n Lagos for free, we pay tax, he shd call his dogs to order o...if they wanna bark let them go their house and bark definitely not on the poor masses

Anonymous said...

Eko o ni baje!!!!!!!!!!!!! While some people are trying to make Eko better,they are putting illiterates as officers.Please can you kindly go report this hoodlums aka CBD officers to Fashola,heard he entertains cilivians.
Pele oooooo

Anonymous said...

fashola use to b active on twitter b4 e got our mandate d second time.. now z nowhere 2 b found tew bad

Anonymous said...

Fashola locked my my mum up for doing nothing last year this week makes it two years,its the norm in lagos it might not be fashola but people being vicious doing it so they'd say you're working

muero_ebony said...

What a lawless country this is.smh

Anonymous said...

Dis is barbaric to say d least. I'll advice she seek redress in a court of law so dey will know dey cant get away with dis sort of behaviour anymore. Dis is barbaric to say d least. I'll advice she seek redress in a court of law so dey will know dey cant get away with dis sort of behaviour anymore.

Anonymous said...

Whether a married or single, male or female, those guys have no business laying their hands on anyone. We can enforce our laws ( if he indeed had any case) in a civilised manner and the idea that married females should be treated with more respect than their single peers is even more annoying than this story.

CLF said...

Read this on Bella Naija. I hope by now the petition has landed on BRF's desk.

Anonymous said...

anon 5:27pm go marry then :)
By the way i have said my own oo no policeman can intimidate me in naija oo!

doll (retired blogger) said...

since you have their names, i suggest you take it up

Hello Kitty said...

This entire country is serioulsy fucked up. CBD (who the hell are they) are here doing their own, in Abuja some group called AEPD or whatever is goin around arresting young women up and down in the name of curbing prostitution. Lawlesness is the order of the day in this country. its disgusting!

assys said...

This is annoying, you should take necessary actions and sue this so called road officials.

seun said...

This is seriously awful,am highly curious,shouldn't Lagos state Government make known to the public the duties&responsibilities of CBD officers'?let us know to what extent is their power,at least they are guided by some rules,or why are they acting as if their is no limitation to their power...please let the rules guiding all these Lagos state agencies be made known to the public.then we will take it from their.

notono said...

this is so annoying u can't believe me wen i say i hate dese people how on earth shud dey raise their filty hands on a lady not 2 tuk of a married woman.In america men have respect over women n u dere nt raise ur hand on a lady,lest u will go to jail,nothing good is in dis country,police are good at collecting bribe 2o naira 4 dt matter aren't dey ashamed of themselves,abeg will stop here cos am nt happy ,bt i will advise d woman not 2 take dis matter eazy ooooooooooo she shud 4ward dis 2 fashola maybe he can b of help

Anonymous said...

Am so annoid wit dt bastard dt slapped d woman,he shud go 2 america n 3ry it if he won't go 2 jail.In america a man has regard 4 a lady nt 2 tuk of a married woman,i don't knw wen nigeria will change maybe wen God comes all wt our peeps are intrested here is bribery bribery bribery n corruption dey won't tuk of how nigeria will grow jst all 4 their selfish intrest,may God help us bt madam jst make sure u kip all dose receipts intact so dt u can b able 2 defend urself wen d nid arises.

Anonymous said...

this vehicle control officers are truely unruly and untrained. if lagos is trying to build an image of themselves as a meega city, they have to check their Lawma, VIO, FRSC, and Police officials, they treat civilians like dogs without any form of respect.

Anonymous said...

Gov. Babatunde Fashola should hear this and we should point it out to him that he is taken Lagosians for a ride, this people are simply Area Boys, Touts and criminals hired to torment Lagosians. BRF is fast loosing his reputation because of these rogues.

The Center for Civil Defender should also take up this matter.

Koye-Ladele Mogbekeloluwa said...

This is ABSURD... Completely, totally unfair... Whether to a married woman or not... Whoever those guys were, they ARE goats!!!

Anonymous said...

Linda pls get someone to report this to Gov Fashola's office. All those traffic uniformed men are animals.
Lola sorry abt ur ordeal pray and ask God to avenge ur case don't just let it go.

lulu king said...

This is what happens when u give power to uneducated, ignorant fools.. The man had the guts to say "this is lagos, not london" ? So because it is Lagos we can do what ever we like and act like we r in the jungle abi????? what a shame. We honestly dont love ourselves or our country because if we did stupid fools like this wont have any power .

Ada said...

Sign the petition people...the link is up in here in d comment section... time to get our voices out there... i posted dis story on BRF's facebook page, hope pple respond... I'm glad she got names, if na me i for add pictures of these useless forsaken thugs! Nonsense! accept my symathies Lola...thanks for sharing, n dis wont die quietly in Jesus name...xoxo!

Udy said...

This is why Nigeria won't grow, they refuse to train their officals to be educated and behave like people with brains. Why is everything in nigeria bribery? Why can't we just be civilized in this country. Me i don tire sef for their soso nonsense!!!!

Anonymous said...

Some so-called government employee once jumped into my friend's car while my friend was driving in Lagos. The so-called government employee was wearing a police uniform and was doing his best to intimidate my friend with threats of arrest b/c my friend allegedlly violated some undisclosed traffic law. This so-called government employee did not know that my friend has serious connections in government. My friend hit the automatic lock in the car and drove the so-called government employee to one of the government buildings where they were met by his connections in government. Needless to say, it did not end well for this so-called government employee. He was beaten and sacked same day. Unfortunately, not everyone can rely on having connections to safeguard themselves from abuse by so-called government employees and something has to be done to purge the system of those who abuse their post.

Anonymous said...

Nigeria is a jungle. There are laws but nobody obeys them. Those in charge of enforcement are zoo keepers. The end result. Jungle justice. I sympathize with the woman but stopping to buy any item on the highway is a traffic offence. The injustice is in the method of enforcement

Anonymous said...

Nigeria is a jungle. There are laws but nobody obeys them. Those in charge of enforcement are zoo keepers. The end result. Jungle justice. I sympathize with the woman but stopping to buy any item on the highway is a traffic offence. The injustice is in the method of enforcement

Anonymous said...

i am a journalist and would like 2 work on this story.u can contact me thru tyna4u2me@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Nigeria a jungle where jungle (in)justice reigns? Then one solution which I very much hate to suggest : the same kind of violence meted out to . Period. Thugs understand only one language: the language of force. Had the victim been a strongly-built man, that infamous Mutui boy and his cohort wouldn’t have tried a single act of such despicable violence. Shame on them!

Anonymous said...

NA WA O.... ALL THESE HAPPENED ON THIS SAME LAGOS ISLAND WHERE AT LEAST SOME %AGE OF DECENT PEOPLE CAN STILL BE FOUND ON THE STREETS...THIS WRITER CLAIMS SHE HAS BEEN LIVING ON LAGOS ISLAND FOR SOME YEARS, THEN SHE DID NOT REALISE THAT SHE OUGHT NOT TO PARK ON THAT DUAL CARRIAGE WAY FROM EKO BRIDGE THROUGH APONGBON TO OUTER MARINA ? THAT SHE DID NOT KNOW THAT SHE SHOULD HAVE GONE TO PARK HER CAR IN THE VERY BIG PUBLIC PARK IN MARINA ?...COME ON GUYS !!.. SHE HAS COME ONLINE HERE TO WRITE A SCRIPT FIT FOR NOLLYWOOD AND YOU ARE ALL CASTING SO MUCH NEGATIVE ASPECTIONS ON THE TRAFFIC OFFICIALS OF LAGOS STATE... DO YOU KNOW THE MENACE ALL THE CARS PARKED ILEGALLY ON THESE ROADS CAUSE EACH DAY ? DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE DANFO DRIVERS WILL DO ON THE ROADS WITHOUT THESE OFFICIALS ? THERE ARE BAD EGGS IN EVERY PROFFESSION BUT WHY IS IT THAT ITS ONLY HERE THAT WE COME ON THE INTERNET TO DESTROY THESE PEOPLE ? CAN YOU DRIVE IN EUROPE AND PARK ANYHOW AND CLAIM YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE DONE AFTER LIVING IN THAT AREA EVEN FOR JUST 6 MONTHS ?
PEOPLE THINK ITS JUST OK TO DO THINGS IN A BAD PERCULIAR WAY BECAUSE WE ARE IN A SYSTEM WHERE WE ARE USED TO BEHAVING THE WAY WE DO AS LONG AS THERE IS A BAD EGG TO TAKE THE BRIBE... YOUR STORY WILL MAKE A VERY BAD NOLLYWOOD FILM..YOU WERE NOT THE ONLY ONE ON THAT ROAD... YOU MUST HAVE DONE SOMETHING WRONG MADAM.. CHECK YOURSELF TOO...

Anonymous said...

MR CAPITAL LETTER! ITS OBVIOUS U ARE A LAGOS STATE GOVERNMENT OFFICIAL WITH YOUR RESPONSE, THANK GOD U WROTE - CHECK YOURSELF TOO- AT LEAST YOU ADMIT YOUR BOYS WERE WRONG, ASSAULT IS ASSAULT EVEN THOUGH SHE BROKE THE LAW!
AND MADAM I REALLY DONT THINK U YOU SHOULD LET THIS GO EASILY, TRY USING THE MEDIA TO ATTACK, P.S NOT LTV!

Gbenga said...

Mr All Caps, the officer could have at least told her what the offence was. This is so annoying, if any officer tries this with me, I won't mind sending him on a trip to hell without a return ticket. SO very annoyed with this.

Recent Posts