Pete Edochie speaks on his kidnap and release | Welcome to Linda Ikeji's Blog

LI_Leaderboard_4

LI_Leaderboard_1

LI_Leaderboard_2

LI_Leaderboard_3

Saturday 22 August 2009

Pete Edochie speaks on his kidnap and release


Kidnappers grouse
They warned me to let the government know exactly how they feel. They expressed dissatisfaction about the way politicians live in affluence while they suffer in abject poverty. According to them the politicians have engaged in flamboyant living at their own expense. So they are beginning to get their own of the national cake, even though the people will not like the system they employ. But that is that is the only way they can get their slice according to them. They know that government will run around to get me out. I am happy about the government concern while I was in captivity. Government sympathy was practicalised and I am happy that I’m free.

Ransome
I have read in some newspapers that N10million was paid. I was the person who was captured and I don’t know where and when the ransom was paid. Whoever it was that paid N10M should come and tell me who it was paid to. Whatever amount they had demanded, if they did, would have been addressed to me who was in captivity. So I cant understand where this ransom thing came from.

Missed target
They told me I wasn’t their target, that I ran into them and they said okay let the government know the way they feel if they hold somebody the government recognizes. And I was surprised that the news spread all over the world. I don’t know that my personality has risen so high in that dimension


VIP treatment
I was surprised that they took care of me. They offered me beer and I drank it. I slept on a mattress with leaves for bedspread and I know that nobody who had suffered this fate had been so wonderfully treated. They know me as an actor. They know I am not a politician. I have never headed any panel with money to be disturbed. Where is the money? So if you say you are quite sure they captured me for monetary gains, except you are part of the arrangement, I don’t know how you came about that.

Measure to curb kidnapping
That is the question I have been expecting. I told Gov Obi (Anambra State Gov) that last time we had a seminar on security in Enugu at the 82 division; I was recommending that we introduce what we call social security. Social security, as obtained in America, is a situation that you register individuals, male and female with their respective qualification, who are unemployed and ensure that every week they collect some allowances at least to help keep body and soul together. If you are entitled to some allowance to sustain life, the possibility of expending your energy in negative undertaking would have been eliminated. So I'm advising the govt at federal and state levels to ensure that they engage people reasonably.
Value system
It is simple. If the politicians can play down on the flamboyant life they live, that will affect the psyche of those young men who engage in those anti-social activities positively.
Source: Saturday Sun
Question of the day: Do you guys agree with Pete Edochie on the introduction of social security in Nigeria? Will that in any way curb this menace that has gripped the nation?


Photos of the day
Olomu Bridge and Access Road in Delta State





Pix thanks to TrueFace OfDelta

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Social security is very much abused here in the States, so i can only imagine how it will be 100 times abused in Nigeria. I don't think social security will solve the problem. First, creating more jobs, and more opportunities for poor and middle class. So, wealthy people will not be the only ones who can afford to send their children to schools. Public school, where everyone will have access to general education to survive in the real world, all of them can't all go to school to be a doctor, lawyer, etc, but to have a job, that will help you to afford necessities.

Effective laws protecting employees, so they can get paid for what they worked for. America is the result of having great founding fathers and leaders. America has a strong foundation, and that's what is keeping it where it is now. My point, Nigeria can't do what America or some European countries do because it took a lot for it to work effectively, and i don't think Nigeria is ready to put the hard work, sacrifice, and selflessness.

Anonymous said...

I believe that Pete Edochie had a hand in his abduction, for one he is just an actor not a political figure who could make those kidnappers any benefits. Just my thought!

Chyke said...

As long as we are led by folks without any vision, as long as we are led by people who are completely incompetent, as long as Nigerians remain deluded and think that they are anywhere remotely close to being a modern society - problems like this will remain as they are a tip of the iceberg. Nigeria still has more massive problems ahead of her, make no mistake about that. Kidnapping is just the start!

Uche said...

LMAO..this Pete is so funny on his kidnap case; introduce SS in Naija is like killing everyone. 1st of all let Government get accurate and modern technology for voting before you can talk about SS that affects pples information. Then 2ndly, all this yahoo yahoo guys(Rita in koko mansion will say) take them off the streets if not SS is rubbish.Also, fix minor problems in Naija first e.g electricity and water. Those are basic necessity, SS is not needed now, make your citizens comfortable in their homes.

Recent Posts