2007 OSCARS WINNERS. | Welcome to Linda Ikeji's Blog

LI_Leaderboard_4

LI_Leaderboard_1

LI_Leaderboard_2

LI_Leaderboard_3

Monday 26 February 2007

2007 OSCARS WINNERS.

The 2007 OSCARS has come and gone and below is the list of nominees and winners. There's a slight difference with the winners of the Golden Globes but the nomination is almost thesame. And like always I'll point out the ones I agree and don't agree with.

Best picture
The Departed (I agree)
Babel
Letters From Iwo Jima
Little Miss Sunshine
The Queen

Best actor
Forest Whitaker, The Last King of Scotland (I agree)
Leonardo DiCaprio, Blood Diamond
Ryan Gosling, Half NelsonP
eter O'Toole, Venus
Will Smith, The Pursuit of Happyness

Best actress
Helen Mirren, The Queen (I agree)
Penelope Cruz, Volver
Judi Dench, Notes on a Scandal
Meryl Streep, The Devil Wears Prada
Kate Winslet, Little Children

Best supporting actor
Alan Arkin, Little Miss Sunshine (Don't agree)
Jackie Earle Haley, Little Children
Djimon Hounsou, Blood Diamond (My choice)
Eddie Murphy, Dreamgirls
Mark Wahlberg, The Departed

Best supporting actress
Jennifer Hudson, Dreamgirls (I agree)
Adriana Barraza, Babel
Cate Blanchett, Notes on a Scandal
Abigail Breslin, Little Miss Sunshine
Rinko Kikuchi, Babel

Best directing
Martin Scorsese, The Departed (I agree)
Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, Babel
Clint Eastwood, Letters From Iwo Jima
Stephen Frears, The Queen
Paul Greengrass, United 93

Best foreign language film
The Lives of Others, Germany (Don't have an opinion)
After the Wedding, Denmark
Days of Glory (Indigenes), Algeria
Pan's Labyrinth, Mexico
Water, Canada

Best adapted screenplay
William Monahan, The Departed (Don't have an opinion)
Sacha Baron Cohen, Anthony Hines, Peter Baynham, Dan Mazer and Todd Phillips, Borat Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan
Alfonso Cuaron, Timothy J Sexton, David Arata, Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby, Children of Men
Todd Field and Tom Perrotta, Little Children
Patrick Marber, Notes on a Scandal

Best original screenplay
Michael Arndt, Little Miss Sunshine (I agree)
Guillermo Arriaga, BabelIris Yamashita and Paul Haggis, Letters From Iwo Jima
Guillermo del Toro, Pan's Labyrinth
Peter Morgan, The Queen

Best animated feature film
Happy Feet (I agree)
Cars
Monster House

Best art direction
Pan's Labyrinth (Maybe)
Dreamgirls
The Good Shepherd
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
The Prestige

Best cinematography
Pan's Labyrinth (Haven't seen any of the movies)
The Black Dahlia
Children of Men
The Illusionist
The Prestige

Best sound mixing
Dreamgirls (I agree)
Apocalypto
Blood Diamond
Flags of Our Fathers
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

Best sound editing
Letters From Iwo Jima (I agree)
Apocalypto
Blood Diamond
Flags of Our Fathers
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

Best original score
Babel, Gustavo Santaolalla (I agree)
The Good German, Thomas Newman
Notes on a Scandal, Philip Glass
Pan's Labyrinth, Javier Navarrete
The Queen, Alexandre Desplat

Best original song
I Need to Wake Up from An Inconvenient Truth, by Melissa Etheridge (Don't agree)
Listen from Dreamgirls, by Henry Krieger, Scott Cutler and Anne Preven (My choice)
Love You I Do from Dreamgirls, by Henry Krieger and Siedah Garrett
Our Town from Cars, by Randy Newman
Patience from Dreamgirls, by Henry Krieger and Willie Reale

Best costume
Marie Antoinette (I agree)
Curse of the Golden Flower
The Devil Wears Prada
Dreamgirls
The Queen

Best documentary feature
An Inconvenient Truth (Don't have an opinion)
Deliver Us From Evil
Iraq in Fragments
Jesus Camp
My Country, My Country

Best documentary (short subject)
The Blood of Yingzhou District (Don't agree)
Recycled Life
Rehearsing a Dream (My choice)
Two Hands

Best film editing
The Departed (Don't agree)
Babel
Blood Diamond (My choice)
Children of Men
United 93

Best makeup
Pan's Labyrinth (Don't agree)
Apocalypto (My choice)
Click

Best animated short film
The Danish Poet (Don't have an opinion)
Lifted
The Little Matchgirl
Maestro
No Time for Nuts

Best live action short film
West Bank Story (Maybe)
Binta and the Great Idea (Binta Y La Gran Idea)
Eramos Pocos (One Too Many)
Helmer & Son
The Saviour

Best visual effects
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (Totally agree)
Poseidon
Superman Returns



Congrats to my girl Jennifer Hudson; she deserved to win.

I'm glad Eddy Murphy didn't win. He didn't deserve to, not with his performance in Dreamgirls. Didn't know what the hoppla was about in the first place.

So happy that Happy Feet won Best Animation and not Cars. You know Cars beat Happy Feet at the Golden Globes. Happy Feet is a must watch.

Forest Whitaker deserved his win. How many of you have seen LAST KING OF SCOTLAND? Amazing acting! You wouldn't believe he's an American, he took acting to another level.

I haven't seen 'The Queen', but I know Helen Mirren is a fantastic actress. She has my vote anyday.

I don't personally think that Merryl Streep deserved a nomination for Best Actress for her role in "Devil Wears Prada'. There was nothing fantastic about her acting in the movie. I've seen better acting from her.

Picture of the year I think Should have gone to 'Babel' even though I agreed with 'Departed' going home with the award. I haven't seen Departed but I hear it's a great movie, but how many of you have seen Babel? Which movie do you think should have won?

Martin Scorsese deserved the best director award he got. But I'm almost sure the director of Babel deserved it more. But you know Martin has never gotten an Oscar, even though he had been nominated severally. Well, he did a good job in Departed but did a better job in 'The Aviator' and he didn't win an Academy award then. I guess they just wanted to make it up to him.

What's your assessment of the 2007 Academy Awards? Send me your thoughts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL. You REALLY don't like Eddie Murphy and i don't blame you jare. You are so right about Forrest Whittaker. I have the movie and he did not even have the slightest whiff of an American accent, unlike Nia Long's poor rendition of a Nigerian woman in the movie she appeared in with Joke Silver (can't remember the title now).
Whittaker deserved his oscar and further honour with his star on the Hollywood walk of fame.
I first saw Whittaker in The Crying Game in 1995 and thought he was good then and in subsequent movies thereafter. However, i don't know if he can ever be as good in any future movies as he was in The Last King Of Scotland. His rendition/portrayal of Amin was so spot on and realistic that i gained a new kind of respect for him- massive also!!!

Recent Posts