Blogging: A dream come true | Welcome to Linda Ikeji's Blog

LI_Leaderboard_4

LI_Leaderboard_1

LI_Leaderboard_2

LI_Leaderboard_3

Sunday 14 June 2009

Blogging: A dream come true

A lot of people thank me for being a dedicated blogger. I should be thanking you for coming here...I'm living my dream through blogging.

Let me tell you guys a story I don't remember telling before.


I remember vividly many years ago when I was in JSS one, (I attended Lagos Anglican Girls Grammar School Surulere), a teacher was in front of the class teaching, and I was writing stuff in my notebook. I don’t know what I did in particular to attract the teacher’s attention; all I remember was that he asked me to join him in front of the class room and to bring my notebook along. When I got there, he took my notebook, flipped through it, looked at me, and checked out my notebook again, this time reading a few lines in it. He gave me back my notebook and told me to stand in front of the class, and that was where I stood till the class ended.

After reading through my note, the teacher should have punished me and I wondered for many years why he didn’t. Let me tell you all what I writing down in my notebook instead of class work. I was reporting what was going on...like a journalist would. I wrote what time the teacher came into the class...how we all greeted him, the first thing he said, the way he started teaching, all the activities going on in the class room up until the point the teacher called me out. He must have noticed I was doing something different.

That wasn't my first time of doing that...he was just the first to catch me ;). In those days I was more interested in writing down my report than what was written on the chalk board.

At home, I would do the same thing. I would stand in front of my balcony with my notebook and start writing. It always featured my neighbours of course...instead of joining them to play, I'd write down what was said, what was done, who slapped who, who laughed, who cried, what caused the laughter and tears...I wrote down everything my brain could remember...and when I was alone, I would read my report to an empty room ;).

In SSS1, I joined the Literary and Debating Society of my school and took the post of Secretary General. I'd write down the activities of that week and report it the following week. No one knew how much I enjoyed that role and I held onto it for a while.

My dream then was to be a JOURNALIST. That was all I wanted to be. That was all I knew. I used to sit in front of the TV listening to the news and watching the newscasters...hoping that would be me one day.

Back in those days I had a make believe job as a journalist, a make believe boss I used to report to, I was even a newscaster sef, I used to read news in front of a make believe audience of course...lol


I was also a writer; I started so many books that I never finished. I used to loose myself in writing. That was all that mattered to me, my notebook and the things I used to write in it...practicing to one day be a world class journalist.

And when it was time to enter the University, I put in for Mass Communication, but was given English at the University of Lagos but before I could enter the University to read the course that would finally make my dreams of being a journalist come true, I discovered modeling. And after being a top model for many years, going back to being a journalist was not feasible. So that was the end of that dream... or so I thought!

In 2006 I discovered blogging thanks to Ms Bella Naija and I realised that dream of being a journalist wasn’t totally lost. I might not be the journalist I’d once dreamt to be...but this is the closest thing to it. I report news, gossip, share my thoughts; pass on information etc and thousands of people read me. Through blogging I’ve been able to make that child hood dream of mine come true. That’s why I’m so dedicated. And no matter how busy I am I find time to blog. Blogging is a dream come true for me.

So don’t thank me for blogging, I should thank you for coming here every day, every week to read me. Thank you for dropping comments, thank you for the encouragement, thank you for being a part of my dream. It’s been a fantastic ride for me and I will keep doing this for a long time to come.


And on that note, I’d like to give something back to some of you...who need it. You see my side bar, where I have my mag and stuff? Take a good look at it, it’s mostly empty, when it can take at least fifty adverts or more comfortably. It's wasting, let’s fill it up. Putting ads as a post isn’t effective enough, let’s put a permanent link on the sidebar for young people with businesses who want to reach out. I'm not interested in established products, I'm more interested in young businesses by young people. If you're interested, (or know anyone who needs this opportunity), send me your ad with your contact and I'll put it up for as long as you want it on the sidebar. And it's 100% free.


I know some people won't approve of these ads being free but like I said before, I don't want to make my blog about money. It will loose it's essence to me. If you understand, that's fab! If you don't, yeah well, at the end of the day, I don't owe anyone any explanations...or apologies. It's my blog and I make the final decision abi? :). So send me your adverts and let's all help each other grow.
God Bless!


Photo of the day

Linda, the model.
Just showing off ;)
Took some pictures some weeks back for a project I'm working on, will tell y'all about it later.
Have a fab week ahead.
~ L

37 comments:

Anonymous said...

are you a really a model

Unknown said...

i like ur blog...
u are really dedicated...
im addicted to ur blogoooo...
lol

keep up the good work...

Anonymous said...

WOW... Nice story.. Unfortunately I don't have one quite as exotic to share!

ibiluv said...

bless ya for the free advert thingy

the pic.....i like......

Anonymous said...

waoh! this is truely awesome...what a way to have realised ur ambition of becoming a journalist...thanks for running with the vision n taking ur blog seriously; u really inspire me with this story...weldone to you!

chayomao said...

inspiring story Linda..
truly r livin the life huh?

Bukky said...

Linda!You Rock! Love your blog!Love you,Linda!

aYomiDe said...

Linda babe...
Thanks for sharing o...It now all make sense....cos I have always admired your sense of humour in your write ups, ur choice of words, composition etc....u have a natural talent....so fun to read...and thank God u didnt become a Journalist!! we may not have 'seen' Linda the model.....
Babe you are a good woman...eventhough I havent met u "(yet) I feel you in ur write-ups..(and gbeboruns...i aint gay either!!!)....
Thank u for consistently being consistent with this blog...and thank God for directing us your fans directly to your blog!!!

LOVE U GIRL!!!

PS...U know u dont have to approve the bad belles posts!...becos i know they will flood here and jealousy wont allow them to be polite............,..,

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Admin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sassy Trends said...

Nice pics gurl...luvn it..
About blogging?..hmnn I think it is more like a passion... we all know how it feels dear...
Nice week..

xxx

AliceDCL said...

hey i am ur avid reader..
and i totally appreciate ur blog cos it keeps me posted with wats happening outside my office....lol
i am glad we are doing something for u since u help us so much
and BTW lovely picture..u look hot

Anonymous said...

You seem to love green a lot. I love the pic though. Keep it up.

chidi said...

u gorgeous woman u

Anonymous said...

u gorgeous woman u

Anonymous said...

babe this ur pix is hot and it rocks!
we love ur blog here in gerany cos u keep us informed.Girl the sky is ur starting point.see u at the top.again i love u cos ur igbo babe like me.we re proud of u lol.

Anonymous said...

Im a blogger too thanx to you. Cant really recall hw it all started though lol. Please put up an ad for La Tush Events, Event Planners and Floral Decorators. +2348054128063, +2347027026752. We do Interiors,Wedding Planning, Centrepieces and fresh Flower Arangements, Bouquets and Sugarcrafted Cakes.10q.

Anonymous said...

WHy una like to dey syke this girls head which bloody magazine, article, product has see modeled for.......lets call a spade a spade

Linda Ikeji said...

thanks to everyone...u guys make blogging so great for me...
@anon 2pm...hmmm???

The Activist said...

That is my Linda! And if you will just make my own very dream come true b answering my interview questions and let’s roll…
This is a lovely modeling picture of you!

doll (retired blogger) said...

nice picture

and weldone..i know this whole blogging ish isnt easy and you are so committed

Anonymous said...

does this mean you are not a university grad? please try and get a university education, otherwise you are only half educated!

THE SEXY PICTURES ARE TALKING said...

As usual very nice. Love your Blog. Love the picture in Green really lovely. Stop by my joint. Holla

themaster said...

week not complete without a visit to the linka ikeji blog. U go Gurl!!!

truth said...

At the Bitter Anon 2pm: Wanna call a spade a spade? Well let's go there....Hear it from a non ASS KISSER.
Linda HAS modeled for VARIOUS products. I left Nigeria a while ago and I clearly remember seeing her advertising some products. She's in a better position to drop names if that will quench your stream of bitter ramblings. Linda and I were in Newest Hall 2 and I clearly remember her coaching a bunch of girls how to catwalk. Have I ever spoken to Linda. NO. Did I ever yap her sekpe sekpe, yet enviable modelish way of walking, YES. But like you said, let's call a spade a spade; In her own way she rocks so get off her turf till you figure out a way to give constructive, fact-based criticism/opinions.

* Ear-popping Hisses*

truth said...

Oh I forgot to add what I really wanted to say before reading that bitte comment:

@ Linda: I love the pic a lot but the black shoes ( i know you love balck) kinda dulls it up. A nice pair of gold sandles or so would have worked better. My 2 cents.

merci said...

love the weave; details pls

Anonymous said...

Linda, i just love you and love visiting your blog cos it is mature, educative, entertaining and it is what blogging should be. I also admire you because you are not selfish and doing your best to help others. God Bless you richly. Keep up the good work and I guarantee you, you will surely reap a good reward

Anonymous said...

TOP MODEL?
I LAUGH..
NOT A CHANCE IN HELL DARLING.

Anonymous said...

Na wa for some people sha enemy of progress. pls linda post your email address

Linda Ikeji said...

@truth, i remember u once said we were in Newest hall together...really? we need to hook up one of these days and thanks for standing up for me girls. appreciate it.

@as for anon 9:39, not only was i a top model in my time sweetie, I was one of the top five models in naija btw 98-05(years active) one time model of the year, one time highest paid and one time best catwalk model...should I continue??? go ask about me from industry players sweetie...that gives me a new idea, i need to tell my story :)

@anon 4:31, im university grad hun, with an added extra year to join the four years sef...lol

me said...

Please Linda, you don't need to explain yourself to these clowns.......
Bitter Anonymous, what is your contribution to this world? If you have actually done anything tangible in your lifetime please let us know. Linda is an inspiration to us all - her self-confidence and self-motivation should be applauded - she is a great role model for young girls out there. So please keep your negativity to yourself and worry in private about if Linda has a degree (lol....so stupid) or if she is really a model (ehn ehn she just made all this up abi?? - you are so smart....) or about if she is fine (you nko??? - put your picture now!).......

If all else fails you always have the option of not visiting this website.......GOSH why are you such a pathetic hater????.....abi you want her to sell your product (like you have one)....tell us what you'd prefer her to do instead, since u know so much.....lol........

The Activist said...

I didnt even get a reply or a promise to our interview Linda. I am taking this personal at this point, and it's unfair you hurt my feelings.

Anonymous said...

@standtall-the activist- What is this interview about?....What do u want to know about Linda that you don't already know by reading her blog?......She bares her heart to us almost every other day. I feel like i already know her. The interview is unnecessary if you ask me....
So wetin u wan know?

The Activist said...

@ Ano: that's where you are wrong, there is always something one can interview a very brave, committed and inspiring woman about. The interview is not about her alone but also about her passion for development.

So, the interview is not for fun and she knows, so dont get the idea of the interview wrong.

I run an interview of men and women that are making changes on my blog every thursday but if Linda agree with your analysis, then I will stop wasting my time.

Linda Ikeji said...

@Standtall, i am so sorry darling...pls pls so sorry. was going to reply u but it slipped my mind. pls send the questions again to my mail and i will reply asap...ma bi nu jo! abeg!

@me, people like u make this whole thing worth it. Thank u.
@ayomide and the others, u guys rock~! thanks for the support

Linda Ikeji said...

@anon 8:39...lol...u sure u know a lot?...wink wink

The Activist said...

all right, let me go look for the questions I sent to you b4, if not I may have to send another one.
Thanks

Recent Posts