They learned... | Welcome to Linda Ikeji's Blog

LI_Leaderboard_4

LI_Leaderboard_1

LI_Leaderboard_2

LI_Leaderboard_3

Tuesday 12 May 2009

They learned...

Hey people, hope y'all had a great weekend? Mine was great just 'cos of a discussion I had with my younger sisters.

You see I started modeling at 17, immediately I left secondary school, so I got kind of exposed at a very early age. One of the things that I got exposed to was propositions from men. You know men who will offer you this and that just to sleep with you or keep you as a mistress. Even at 17 I knew that was not the life for me, so I never lived it. Not even in the worst of times. I used to believe that once you sleep with a man for money, you've lost your dignity as a woman...now I am a bit more flexible. I don't condone it but I understand it. And I don't judge girls who live that kind of lifestyle like I used to judge them. Now I believe in live and let live.

So this weekend, I heard my younger sis, Laura, talking heatedly with someone on the phone. What caught my attention was when she said 'If you like make it a billion Naira, you're wasting your time. I've told you to stop calling me". So curiously I asked her what was going on, she wasn't going to tell me at first but I persisted 'til she told me the whole story.

If you remember some weeks back I introduced my younger sister to you all. I told you guys she'd just started her own dance school/group and is also a fitness instructor. (She has a diploma in Human Kinetics and Health Education). So a few days after I put her pix and details on my blog, one male reader of this blog called her.

You see my sis does home service ONLY for women who can’t or won’t come to the gym to train...and she charges 50grand to go to their homes three times a week for three months, plus you pay another 4grand to register with her. She works real hard for her money!!!

So this guy wanted to know Laura's fitness payment structure which she told him but explained that she doesn't render home services to men (I'm sure y'all know that's dangerous). Then the guy offered to give her 54grand to spend one night with her. He said something like...you don't have to suffer for three months, I'll pay you all that money for just one night. Laura politely declined. A few days later he doubled the offer to 104grand...Laura still said thanks but no thanks...and he kept bugging her until this past weekend when he tripled the money to 154grand...she was telling him off when I heard the conversation.

When she told me about this guy and how much he'd been bugging her I felt responsible 'cos I was the one who put her out there...her picture, her number, you know. I also felt like she should have come to me with what was going on, when I asked her why she didn't, my younger sister looked at me and said "Because I can handle it. I've seen the way you've handled these men over the years...let's just say I learned from the best."

I can't begin to explain to you all how that made me feel; hearing that from my younger sister. I don't think I've had a prouder moment in a long time. I mean, it's one thing to live a lifestyle, it's another thing for people to emulate you. Especially people who mean a lot to you.

My sisters and I gathered and shared our experiences, how we shouted at the men, made fun of them and their offers, how we basically dealt with their propositions. In everything my younger ones said, one thing was unanimous...they all learned from their big sister, who started at 17, to turn down offers upon offers.

I see the way these girls are negotiated and treated by men, and I can only be grateful that my sisters aren’t in that market. No one of you out there would want any girl you know or care about to live that life ‘cos it’s the most degrading thing ever. You should see what these girls are subjected to. I’ve seen and heard a lot that I can’t disclose here; my only happiness is that I set an example many years ago that my younger sisters felt was worthy of emulation.

Having said that, here's a piece of advice to all 'those' young girls out there

I'm not a saint, my sisters aren't, nobody is...God knows we all have our shortcomings, but when it comes to the issue of our bodies, we should know where to draw the line. Being broke is not a crime; neither is living within our means. We should learn to carry ourselves with pride and always remember that money and all the fine things of life isn't everything. When we leave this world, none of us will leave with the things we've acquired. The only thing that remains after we are gone is our legacy...what do you want yours to be? Think seriously about that when next a man puts a price on God's temple...your body.

You see, if you work hard, you can even be as rich as these men + you walk around with your head held up high, knowing you never sold yourself cheap. Believe me, you don't need their money, you can make yours if you discover your talent, full potential and work very hard.

There's dignity in labour...even for a woman
~Linda


Naija Ent News next
Cheers
xx

31 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love u Linda.....this post is so good and would definitely encourage ladies out there!!!

Anonymous said...

what exactly do you do

Anonymous said...

Yo, I completely understand your post. I really enjoyed reading this because it seems real. I'm glad that you set a firm example that your younger sisters can follow from, you know?

Unknown said...

The man who did that is a broke ass bastard, as long as he keeps patronizing and propositioning prostitution, it will never be good for him, in fact any amount he propositions a woman with, he must lose 10 times that amount by fire, by force.

What a freaking bastard? Because of $1000 he wants someone to lower herself to a body hawker, tufiakwa!

Linda, you did nothing by promoting your sister's services, after all how many people/products have your promoted using this vehicle, why shouldn't your sister benefit bikonu?

bukky said...

Hmmm,Nice one,i hope women will learn a cue from this,We need to comport ourselves and not allow some God-forsaken imbecile to treat us like rubbish.Our body is the temple of God,dont like anyone defile it.
Love you linda!Love your blog

Simon SEEZ said...

You go Girl!!!

Anonymous said...

good advice lol love the post

Linda Ikeji said...

@kpakpando, thanks sweetie, i felt bad initially putting her out there like that but she's very fine with it and can handle herself well.

@anon 11:58, i work ;)

thanks all!

AliceDCL said...

thanks for the advice ti gurls,
we should respect our selves and understand that providing services for money is degrading ourselves,
lets put it this way for every time u do that with u have canceled out marrying his family, friends, neighbors , coworkers etc, at the end of the day it becomes hard to settle down.

Anonymous said...

Dear Linda, I really appreciated this topic today because I was once a victim of exposing my Sister positively which later turn out to be my last regret! I'll tell you that you have not absolutely done anything wrong by introducing your sister for good and I hope she knows that for sure.
That man is just a piece of mess, a devil incarnate looking for whom to devour, well as a good Sister keep it up and Tommorrow shall speak for itself. Love you.....

NoLimit said...

This is definitely off the hook...
Now this statement blew my mind "Being broke is not a crime; neither is living within our means."...
Even the legacy we live behind can fade away...you soooo on point!!!

Rare Poster said...

Welldone.

Ladies the repercussions of selling your bodies/that kind of lifestyle are way too deep to justify any reason or hardship that seemingly pushed you into it...Observe deeply those before you.

There is always a choice.

On the flip, patience is a great virtue and its blessings add no sorrow.

Joy Akut said...

omg, this is so true.
i put up a post some weeks ago on something like this. i've fought off men since i was a chubby 13yr old or younger.

its hard to resist first class trips and unlimited shopping access wherever u want, but somehow, i'll always have myself to live with, so even if nobody knows what i do, i wld know and thats the worse thing ever.living with what you've done

the fear of God, and my upbringings whats kept me strong.
i come from a comfortable family, but still some things dont seem like its enough. your family gives you the best, but to you its not the best there is, its not as good as Miss B's car or her clothes. i've worked hard to get every extra luxury i hop around with and i've learnt that its okay not to have the latest bag. its more fun and more appreciated when u work to get em luxuries.

u shd b proud of urself for living a visible footprint for ur siblings, cos if u cldnt handle urself, then they'd be on the same path too.

Anonymous said...

Awesome post...and very relevant 2...especially to young ladies...let's hope they are reading...weldone...

Anonymous said...

Nice post..Linda abeg stop "forming" jo..lol

WALE said...

Linda, my dear God bless you and all your family. as usual you make being your fan very easy. i carry your fan club badge with great pride. you make us all that trust in you proud, glad and blessed we know you. i have always had respect for you and all you stand for today is good day. you are a shinning light in the midst of that dark land where whoring is almost the order of the day. you will soon be a goodwill ambassador for the UN. keep being you because there is no another you and like i say you represent Ms. Linda Ikeji very well. thank you for giving the nigerian brand a good name. thank you for giving womanhood dignity and most of all thanks for showing the younger morally bankrupt generation how to do it and have a good name. you are a brand and change we can all believe in. God bless you and all that wish you well. Wale

WALE said...

By the way, you must never feel bad doing good. you did what was right. if that girl was someone else daughter knowing you so long as you saw she was doing good and affecting lives you would give her the plug. having the great head you have upon your shoulders, you know DOING GOOD IS ALWAYS RIGHT. keep doing what you know how to do best ( BEING LINDA IKEJI )one and only. thanks for saying this " I'm not a saint, my sisters aren't, nobody is...God knows we all have our shortcomings, but when it comes to issues of our bodies, we should know where to draw the line. Being broke is not a crime; neither is living within our means. We should learn to carry ourselves with pride and always remember that money and all the fine things of life isn't everything. When we leave this world, none of us will leave with the things we've acquired. The only thing that remains after we are gone is our legacy...what do you want yours to be? Think seriously about that when next a man puts a price on God's temple...your body.

You see, if you work hard, you can even be as rich as these men + you walk around with your head held up high, knowing you never sold yourself cheap. Believe me, you don't need their money, you can make yours if you discover your talent, full potential and work very hard.

There's dignity in labour...even for a woman"


Wale

Anonymous said...

Good post, see u're already preparing for your role as a parent...

Anonymous said...

Linda,

How long will this continues is there anything the law could do. That is preposition for sex; the guy should be locked up or disgraced? How about the poor, they will fall easily. How can we protect the weak. You and your sister shoulld stand up for stuff like this?

AA

Lady A said...

Wow, well, the good thing is that she "learned from the best." Continue to guide her.

Lady A said...

Just be thankful you encouraged her!

Anonymous said...

tell dem o

The Activist said...

There is dignity in labour much more so for women, I tell you. I love your sister principle and value and this is what we should all do. We are beyond SEX. Women are intelligent and ca hold their own with determination and desire.

Anonymous said...

@ "AA May 12, 2009 8:41 PM" sadly there cant be any law for it cos in that mad land called nigeria, there are some foolish women and girls selling themselves cheaper than suya and chicken wings. it is a buyers market out there and it is brilliant to know we have people ( small minority )who can stand tall in the morally bankrupt environment that nigeria is

Anonymous said...

LINDA,
SORRY TO APPEAR CYNICAL, AS MY POSITION IS GOING TO REFLECT THAT.
Are you sure you aren't playing to the gallery. Remember, lies told aren't lost on THE PERSON and of course God! I really do hope you are as chaste as you portray yourself and by extension your sister.
If you are sincere, then felicitation, you are one of the few that know that opening your thighs for money is one of the most despicable things someone can do as human-man/woman and i say more power to your "resolve" and wish you all the luck in landing that God sent guy. These "conditional"wishes to your siblings as well.

truth said...

A good read.

Her worth: Priceless!

Linda Ikeji said...

I understand ur reservations. In a society where ‘runs’ is the order of the day, it’s hard to believe there are girls like us out there who will never stoop that low, more so since i am model...so i understand. I used to hear stories about me and my supposed ‘escapades’ and i never bother to defend myself, because i know who i am and God knows who i am and that’s enough for me. So no sweetie, im not playing to the gallery, this is who i am, always have been, always will be. I used to say i’d die first before i sleep with a man for money, or be any man’s mistress...and those words kept me going for years. In my years of modelling, i came across all kinds of people sweetie, ministers, govs etc, but i never and i repeat, never allowed anyone take away my integrity as a woman. And i am hoping that one day i’ll set up a kind foundation where a lot of these girls can be re-oriented and made to see they are worth far more than allow their fathers’ ages mate mess their bodies up. And trust me girl, there are real degrading things happening to these girls...worse than most of you know. If i can get only 10% of girls out of this dirty game, i’ll be a fulfilled woman. Hopefully i’ll get a lot of support from people like u...

Linda Ikeji said...

The above is for anon 6;59...the doubting thomas lol...just tot of the org/foundation to reform these girls after reading ur comment, hopefully i'll see it thru. thanks.xx

And wale...my guardian angel...thanks for the love

thanks everyone!!!

Flowers and Poetry said...

I love you Linda, good stuff!

'Kego Onyido said...

Good stuff Linda! It just boggles the mind though that women can sell themselves so cheap. I think at the root of it all is lack of self love, self worth and having a warped sense of value about life in general. It is so easy to see those that are at risk or already 'using'.

When ladies in our society (young and old) are consumed with 'oppressing' or 'keeping up with the Joneses', selling themselves stupidly seems like a way out. Like I tell a lot of misguided young ladies ' how much man wan give u wey u no fit give urself cos back for ground's a lot of hard work for crap!'.

To any young'un out there: Work hard, live within your means, know that you are the ORIGINAL Ms Jones and you don't have to prove a thing to anyone else! Period! People are dealing with their own issues, so who cares whetehr you wear bend down or boutique???? It always cracks me up when I see 9ja ladies talk about they only wear Designer X, Y Z....yet u know ur salary can barely pay your rent. Delusional, that's what it is....a lot of these designers no even chart una for their market research or demography....lol

Linda, again...good stuff. When u want to go ahead with the foundation thing abeg give me a shout, definitely interested.

aproko manager said...

Wowowowowowowo...nd u fulfilled your dream in 2015...am so not giving up on God and myself

Recent Posts