My boyfriend gave me N230k for Christmas but I didn’t know he was a robber’ | Welcome to Linda Ikeji's Blog

LI_Leaderboard_4

LI_Leaderboard_1

LI_Leaderboard_2

LI_Leaderboard_3

Sunday 25 May 2014

My boyfriend gave me N230k for Christmas but I didn’t know he was a robber’

Operatives of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), Lagos State Police Command, have smashed a four-man robbery gang who carried out an operation at the arrival hall of the Murtala Mohammed International Airport (MMIA), Ikeja on October 30, last year.

In the process, they carted away the sum of $1.5 million kept in a bagging store by Mrs Uche Eziama, owner of Deravine Company. According to a police source, the said money was kept in a bag and Mrs. Eziama intended to use it for a business transaction that could not hold, following which she decided to keep it in the bagging store. But to her utter shock, by the time she went there to fetch it, it had vanished. She alerted the police and some suspects were arrested. As the suspects were being screened, one of them, Ifeanyi Francis, confessed to the crime. Continue...


The police later recovered the sum of $224, 240 and two landed properties Ifeanyi said he acquired with the money. Also recovered from him was a Pathfinder SUV he allegedly purchased with part of the stolen money. He also confessed that one of the gang’s members, Chibuzor Onuegbu, who worked at the MMIA as a clearing and forwarding agent, was the one who told him to come to Lagos for the job. He said the larger share of the money was with Onuegbu, adding that Onuegbu confided in him that he would give the money to his elder brother, Kalu, to keep for him.

 Based on the foregoing information, operatives of SARS, led by officer in charge of SARS a Superintendent of Police (SP) Abba Kyari went after Kalu, who was said to have initially denied any knowledge of the deal. But he later confessed to the crime, giving details of the steps they took to steal the money. His confession led to the arrest of another suspect, Chioma Obinabor, who claimed to be a girlfriend to Chibuzor, the alleged mastermind of the crime, who was said to have escaped to London. Kalu said some money was given to him but he did not know the exact amount he was given to keep until the third day when Chibuzor came, collected the money and gave it to his girlfriend to acquire three and a half plots of land for him at Onigbo area of Port Harcourt.

He also bought two plots of land in Aba with two detachable bungalows. Based on Kalu’s information, SARS operatives went after Chioma in Onitsha and arrested her, following which she admitted that her boyfriend, Chibuzor, gave her money to acquire landed property for him. She said she bought six plots of land for N9 million and another four plots for N10 million at 33 area of Onitsha, Anambra State. She said Chibuzor relocated to London after giving her the money. The police also revealed that Kalu bought a Honda CRV and rented a three-bedroom flat for N500,000, furnishing same with over N700,000. The said flat was said to be located at Abuloma area of Port Harcourt. The first suspect, Ifeanyi Francis (25), who claimed to have trained as a bricklayer, said he attended Government Technical College (GTC) Owerri, Imo State. Asked how he became involved in robbery operations, he said: “I got a call from Chibuzor Onuegbu. He became my friend when we were in Enugu in those days, and he asked me to come to Lagos for a deal. When I got to Lagos, I gave him a call and he came and took me to his house where he told me that there was something he wanted me to do for him. He said there was a bag he wanted to pick from a company where he worked at the MMIA Ikeja, but he wanted me to go and pick it for him. “I asked him what the content of the bag was. I did not know that he wanted me to steal the bag. I thought the bag was his. He brought out a tag ticket and a bag and said he would take me to the company and show me the particular place I would take the bag from, and that I should tell them that I came to baggage because I wanted to travel. He showed me the tag ticket that would be put on the bag. “He took me to the company and pointed at the place. When I entered, I told them what he instructed me to tell them and they opened the bag and saw laptop and clothes. I asked him whether I was going to pick it on that day and he said yes. He said they would charge N300 per day for keeping the bag and two days would be N600. “I later left the airport and went to my sister’s house to sleep. When my sister saw me, she was surprised because I did not inform her that I was coming to Lagos. Around 6.30 pm the same day, Chibuzor called and told me that I should come to the airport. I went there to meet him. When I met him, he said I should go and pick the bag. “I picked the bag, but I did not know the content. When I took it to him, he told me that what he planned to do did not work out well, particularly the things he wanted to put inside the bag. The next day, he called me again and said I should go through the same process. They still collected the bag from me and I left. “Around 7.30 pm the same day, he called me again and I told him that I was at my sister’s house. He said I should go and pick the bag. This time, the bag was very heavy and he was outside with a taxi. I entered. Why the bag became heavy was that he carried the one containing dollars and put in the one I brought to the airport. “I carried the bag containing dollars and entered the taxi cab he came with and we drove to the street where he was squatting with his sister. But half way, we stopped and he paid off the taxi driver, while we trekked the remaining distance to his sister’s flat. “As we were trekking, I asked him what was inside the bag. Along that street, there was a container. We entered the container and there he opened the bag and showed me the content. When I saw dollars, I was so shocked that I nearly lost control of my mind. It became very difficult for him to close the bag, so he brought out part of the money and put it in the other bag we were carrying. “When we got to the gate of the sister’s house, he said I should find my way and that by the following day he would give me a call to come. He rushed to the backyard and within 30 minutes, he came out. That was between 9 and 10 pm. He said I should give him the bag and that I should go with the other bag, and I left. “In the morning of the following day, I went to the sister’s house to see him. For two hours, I could not see him. Fortunately, he came out to buy something, thinking that I had gone. I rushed towards him and asked how we were going to share the money. He said there were other people behind the business who would get their own shares, but that he would give me something for the excellent role I played in stealing the money. “I wanted to play a smart one on him, so I told him that the money he put in my bag was no longer there because I put it back without him knowing, and he said it was not true. He threatened not to give me anything until I brought out the one in my possession. I went inside, checked the bag and counted the money. It was about N60 million. “I used the money to buy land while he carried the bigger bag. I bought two plots of land for N4.5 million and built a six-bedroom flat, bought a jeep and enjoyed my life. My only regret is that the government will confiscate my land and vehicle and the balance I have in the bank will be returned to the owner while I will become poor again; a situation I thought that I had overcome for life. The second suspect, Chioma Obinabor (27), who claimed that Chibuzor was her boyfriend, said: “My boyfriend, Chibuzor, told me that his name was Michael Okafor when he started ‘toasting’ me at ITC Motor Park in Onithsa as we were travelling to Owerri in the same commercial bus around November 2013. I later learnt that his real name is Chibuzor Onuegbe. “We did not know each other before then. When the bus moved, we started discussing and became friendly. He asked me about my name, village and where I was going to stay in Owerri. He told me that he was working at the MMIA Ikeja and that God had blessed him somehow and would take all the glory. “I told him that I used to help my brother to sell goods in his shop. He later paid my transport fare and I gave him my phone number. He later called me and invited me to one hotel in Owerri on a Friday. The hotel is situated on Douglas Road, but I don’t know the name of the hotel because I was not interested in that. I only wanted to honour his invitation because I had fallen in love with him, thinking that he was a responsible man. “We later made love. And when I wanted to leave the hotel, he gave me N20,000 for transportation back to Onitsha and I was very happy. “He later invited me again to another hotel in Owerri and gave me N50,000 as transport fare back to Onitsha. All these happened between November and December last year. He even invited me to the hotel the third time, and when I was going back to Onitsha, he gave me N100,000. During the Christmas period, I called him and told him that I wanted to buy something for Christmas, and he asked me to send my bank account number to him. He paid N230,000 into my account, bringing the total money he gave me to N400,000. “In January this year, he told me that he wanted to travel to London and asked me to help him buy some lands. He gave me money in dollars and I later bought land for him with the money. I bought a plot at 33 area of Onitsha, Anambra State for N10 million, but I paid the owner in dollars for four plots of land. “I took the documents to him in Owerri for signing. Later, I went to buy another six plots at the same 33 area at the rate of N9 million. I bought it from a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN) based in Abuja. “When he told me that he would travel to London through Ghanaian Airport, I decided to go with him so that I could branch to Togo to see my father who was sick and was taking treatment in a hospital there. I dropped when we got to Ghana while he left for London at 11 pm that same Saturday with a promise to call me when he reached London. “But I was arrested in Onitsha in March when I went for my father’s burial. I have shown the police all the lands and documents. I did not know that they stole the money from MMIA in Lagos. This incident has taught me a big lesson because from now on, before I accept to be anyone’s friend or fiancée, I will investigate him properly.” The third suspect, Onuegbe Kalu (34), who claimed to be elder brother to Chibuzor, said he was newly engaged with a beautiful woman. He also described himself as an electrical engineer working with an oil company in Port Harcourt. He said: “Early this year, the operatives of SARS invited me to Lagos and I honoured their invitation. They told me that my younger brother, Chibuzor, stole money from the company where he was working at the MMIA, Ikeja, Lagos. Chibuzor was staying with my in-law who got him the job he was doing at the MMIA. “I was invited here and I took an undertaking to look for my brother. When I left, I tried to get him. Luckily for me, he called and told me that he would visit me in Port Harcourt. He came with a bag of money and told me that I should keep it for him. I did not count it. He asked me to help him acquire landed property with the money. “When he left, I called close friends and told them that the police had asked me to help them to arrest my brother for stealing millions of naira, but they said it is only a stupid man that would see wealth and choose poverty. That left me confused as to the next step to take. “As I was thinking about what to do, he came back a few days later and told me that he wanted to collect the money to give to somebody who would be able to use it to acquire land for him quickly. He only left N5.2 million with me and asked me to use my name to buy a land and develop it. I had no choice but to comply. “Already, I had bought two plots of land for him for N10 million. But before he left, he told me that he would give the remaining money to his girlfriend to buy land for him.”

Culled from The Nation Online

113 comments:

SouthEastern said...

$15mUSD kept at the Airport by
someone in hard cash? Thats money
laundering!

Bonita Bislam said...

Is this chioma for real? Imagine her saying her only regret is that govt will confiscate her land and car after thinking she's overcome poverty
Madam,is it your money you used to acquire all those assets? Whatever happened to the words "guilt & shame"? .Na wa o

Anonymous said...

Choi! As in ehn. See the amount of money(someone's money) they spent. What!!!

Amarachukwu. said...

Wetin come happen to the man?

Anonymous said...

See clean up

Angie said...

Ok, robbers are everywhere.
Wonder why it's so difficult for the authorities to arrest the *big time thieves...; talking abt politicians tht loots millies of £ and $.

*My R1.50c comment *

Anonymous said...

SOMETHING NOT RIGHT WITH THE STORIES:::::but glad finally they caught the guys

Unknown said...

Everyday for the thief one day for the Owner. Owo palaba won ti shegi. ⌣̊┈̥-̶̯͡»̶̥♡thanks ⌣̊┈̥-̶̯͡»̶̥ 

Anonymous said...

Can u imagine?buying n wasting smbdys effort.sure u ll suffer 4 dat

Okoro said...

Too bad

Unknown said...

Smh. See wetin money dey cause...

DOBY DOBY said...

D part wer dey made love iz nt necessary nah.. she talks too much.. tho I dnt trust SARS.. they can accuse u of wat u did nt do.. dis statement looks lyk wat d SARS officers wrote demselves. .

Anonymous said...

Menh" Boiz dey para ooooo
***Stainless***

DOBY DOBY said...

D part wer dey made love is nt necessary. . Tho I dnt trust SARS. . They can accuse pple wrongly. Dis statement looks lyk wat SARS officers wrote demselves

Unknown said...

Wetin person no go hear!! 230k for xmas??? Shey na dangote pikin?? Lol.. She z a pest ..


#Pesty

Ella said...

What??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, an ibo man again

Unknown said...

U choose wealth over poverty now sars will woop ur ass for u and u won't forget d memory in ur life.

Anonymous said...

DAMN IT!!! This is Naija's version of James Hardley Chase, just that this version isn't fiction.Its real!!!

Anonymous said...

Things are happening in dis our obodo country oo! Buh d woman dat own dis money is dumb. There is Internet banking which u can do transaction online, so MMIA is d safest place to put sometin like dat, mumu ppl tank God for d good work of SARS. Hausa with killing,Yoruba with rituals,Igbo with stealing. Which way 9ja?

confessor said...

My igbo brodas and land
Land land land land land and jeep
Unfortunately, d lands wld be given
2 d owner of d money

Anonymous said...

So this Chibuzor doesn't ever want to be poor again, hence his love for landed property. Wise investment but wrong way to acquire wealth. Work hard for your own money,and the wealth will stay forever. Any money gotten out of someone's sweat doesn't last.

Anonymous said...

This narration is so wacky. Are they for real?

Nwa Aba said...

$1.5M? Hmmmm lips sealed

Anonymous said...

Those guys re stupid.

Anonymous said...

Too long jare

Anonymous said...

Lool..ballership..nw una don enter trouble..................#King

Anonymous said...

Yeye D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣ smell in Funke Akindele's voice(pretty liars)...!

Unknown said...

Stories that touch.... Neeeeeeeeext..

……………..
.
.
.
¤GROWN MAN IN A YOUNG BODY¤

Debbie Chelsea said...

Hmmmmm,eya i pity d Girl...in her mind she has gotten a gud n rich BF.....not knowin he is a thief...it is well

Unknown said...

EeeeeeeeeeWwwwooooo, as I dey read am, my head dey swell up say na money be dis... Hmmmmm plenty mony for dead body o, u try guy coz u spend it money wisely bt ole paraku nie.ahahaha only u, infact dangote no get property reach u.igboid I hail o.

@MEETD®EALEVANS™ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
@MEETD®EALEVANS™ said...

Criously am laughing. They spent it well, the wise men...na who dem catch be thief..

Anonymous said...

God help us in diz country

MECURY said...

God of Isreal.

Anonymous said...

Abeg linda summarise this jor i...ts so long a letter can't read

Anonymous said...

They really do talk a lot! Too much info!

Anonymous said...

I BEG NA WHO GET ANY FAMILY MEMBER PHONE NUMBER MAKE I CONTACT EVEN THEIR OLD PALS CUT MY OWN SHARE AS CHRISTMAS DON DEY REACH?
LINDA,U FIT ARRANGE D NUMBER 4 ME BCOS I SURE SAY D MONEY NA NAIJA PUBLIC FUND WAY 1 PERSON WANT CHOP ALONE.I DEY WAIT 4 D NO.

franco said...

this is not a case of robbery, but a case of theft dwelling....we should stop confusing robbery with theft

Unknown said...

OMG!!! This guy is very smart if u ask me all he did was just acquire lands and lands...kai too bad

Anonymous said...

Monkey don go market,e no fit come back. Una wan enjoy for another person sweat,oya all of una,back to square one. And the girl be feel like,i've got a rich boyfriend who's gonna marry me.

Unknown said...

Who keeps $1.5M in a safe? What's the source of the money? There was no robbery operation at the airport as being reported. It is a case of a thief stealing from a thief or how would you explain the sum of $1.5m NOT being kept in a bank vault but in a bag deposited at the airport baggage store.

Stack said...

O boi...dix story long no b smal..ladies & ofe tinxx..ladies watch b4 u leap...

ary said...

Ndi igbo sef! I tire for us. Your boyfriend gave you 230k and you no ask am wetin he dey do?

Da rosy said...

Chai, make una hear money o ! Kai una get hardluck oooo dem catch una, sorry

David (dave_gino) said...

1 point what million dollars? Chai. Short of words.

Monkey Face said...

Greed !!!

Imagine how this foolish girl has dragged herself into this mess !!!

As for the elder brother , let him rot in jail

Unknown said...

Wow! Aunty lin what baffles me mos & is sooo appalling is dt in dis whole, including d actors & actress involved No one had d conscience to ask d Commando/Director of Operations--CHIBUZO a simple question“Bros How did U come about this sudden wealth of urs” Oh Poverty & Corruption, E no go beta for U No body gives a dalm any more what's impt is dt u hv made it, Hw u made it is immaterial. God pls help us.

Otush said...

Thieves....the girlfriends story is funny tho...typical of Naija babes..

Unknown said...

Greedy man.

Unknown said...

Baddoss of life, thank for the outcome though....
.
.
.
***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

Otush said...

Thieves....the girlfriends story is funny tho...typical of Naija babes..

Unknown said...

Aunty lin pls publish my comment ooo I take God beg U hahaha. & less 4get t dt Anonymouse & dt Wilhemina gal shld stop attackn each oda, Are they Iraq & Iran self

Unknown said...

Wow! Aunty lin what baffles me mos & is sooo appalling is dt in dis whole, including d actors & actress involved No one had d conscience to ask d Commando/Director of Operations--CHIBUZO a simple question“Bros How did U come about this sudden wealth of urs” Oh Poverty & Corruption, E no go beta for U No body gives a dalm any more what's impt is dt u hv made it, Hw u made it is immaterial. God pls help us.

Anonymous said...

Jesus christ ! What's this world turning too ? May God forgive ur soul

zEuS said...

Hehehe..... Everyday for d thief, one day for the owner.... Most of people y'all see is involved in some act or another..... Singing......*wen d bush meat go catch the hunter*

Anonymous said...

Igbotic and money, they can kill their mothers for money. Awon omo ale jati jati.

Truthfulness pays said...

See where greed has landed u? I pray u find christ while in prison.









Truthfulness pays!

Unknown said...

Yawa don gas ladies look well before u leap. Money don put dis girl for trouble, u met him in a bus and cause of money u fall in love and am sure u have who u are dating b4 o, now money don put u for trouble. Dieris God o

Anonymous said...

Ihe n'eme n ala Nigeria.

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm, quite interesting!! How I wish is govt money dt u stole it wuld av been beta bt since is someone hard earned money is nt good. Let God have his way cos dis country cn mke someone go steal bcos dis our politicians r mking life difficult 4 pple in nigeria.

Anonymous said...

Mehn! See level...I gaz b vigilant wen eva am @ MMIA

Anonymous said...

They sld leave d girl base on her story she don't kn what d guy did

Anonymous said...

Too long

Unknown said...

I QUOTE " I only wanted to honour his invitation because I had fallen in love with him, thinking that he was a responsible man. -- He later invited me again to another hotel in Owerri and gave me N50,000 as transport fare back to Onitsha. "...How can a man give you 50k for transport fair from Owerri to Onitsha..and you think he his a responsible man..THIS GIRL MUST BE JAILED ALONGSIDE HIS GIRLFRIEND

Adaeze said...

Igbo kwenu... hmmm they can do ANYTHING for money!

halimsy said...

Ole burkutu shame on them

Anonymous said...

Igbos & land.....

jbankzE said...

Story too long jare.......I nid beta news

~@iamJbankz Olamide's PA~

Anonymous said...

Funny story,money is indeed the root of all evil.
Shygal

Anonymous said...

Igbo Kwenu!!! Do you know that 50% of armed robbers in Nigeria are Ibos?

Steveosky 4 Real. said...

This is Crap !!

Unknown said...

How would u know that he was a robber when u were busy spreading ur legs and getting blinded with money. Gals will never learn. All they care about is money money money and not minding where it comes from. I hope y'all will learn from this. ***CATCH ME IF U CAN***

Anonymous said...

It beats me why Nigerians celebrate wealth & seldom bother to question the source of it. Our values have turned upside down. Ur brother suddenly comes into stupendous wealth and you never asked him any questions. Idiot.

Anonymous said...

" only a stupid man will see wealth and choose poverty"...what a lame excuse to justify stealing...chibuzor and co are not the only ones in trial here...our sense of what is right or wrong as a nation has never been under any more scrutiny! This is a country where parents arrange for JAMB special centers for their kids, political office holders see corruption (abi na stealing?) as a normal thing and the religious institutions are cesspit of corruption.

Unknown said...

Impatient! They should be lock away...many souls must hv been terrified . Story too long

Unknown said...

Nawa, see how my fellow lady spent so much money o. It's a pity she has to vomit it. Chi buxom and Ifeanyi though.....I reserve my comment.

Anonymous said...

10million 20million na wa oooooooo I need small abg

winniekoko said...

Enjoy ur live wen u are young....lol

Anonymous said...

Lol,lazy ass..

Anonymous said...

Ibo pple can call money brother!. They worship money

Anonymous said...

u guys were so unfortunate

Anonymous said...

IS the store a bank,ask the ownner of the money where did she got the money from,is our money, this is money laundery ,pls of all findout the true come of the money,is our money

Unknown said...

In d voice of my President ' we should not take stealing for corruption'. The did not commit any crime by Nigerian's leaders standard.

APPLE said...

How will you know when most of you girls are so materialistic.

Anonymous said...

Who owns this money? And how did he make the money? Am sure he stole it or he is a ritualist.

zomy said...

Na wa o...things dey happen

Anonymous said...

Can't u read properly? Ifeanyi made that statement not Chioma

Anonymous said...

Hmmm! Sharp sharp moni we ibos like moni ehh! Work hard nd God wl bless u

Anonymous said...

Igbo and robbery. Their regular trade mark.

makasteve said...

OH POVERTY.....God pls help us o but dis girl took risk sha

Anonymous said...

Lmaoooooooooo i hail my igbo peeps o.

Unknown said...

Nw wat happened to d man?? And this is all abt money..

Anonymous said...

Anybody dat believes d girl's story is just dumb. Who gives another person so much money to buy property for him or her without element of trust, commitment & long bond. My point is dat d girl knew d boyfriend way back and not just recently. Unless with her ojukoro behaviour she would have used d money for her own stuff & not buying properties for d guy. Person wey dey collect tfare like salary would have gbeja with so much millions.

Unknown said...

Illiteracy & Poverty have dealt a blow to this woman. She's a disgrace to Motherhood for selling her child for money.

>VIA TECNO B3

Unknown said...

Story story.......Story. Your boyfriend na ATM. Bull-shit

>VIA TECNO B3

Bony bony said...

Auchhhhhhh

Anonymous said...

In fact, how will a reasonable person keep such large amount of money where there is eletronic-banking and e-transaction. Na God catch her now. Abi where she sef get the money from wey she no fit do online banking or transaction.
@ Linda, post my comment make ℓ̊ no vex for you o

Anonymous said...

Wait a minute, where did the Owner of the money see such hard currency in cash? She should be thoroughly investigated. Too much money.

Unknown said...

Choi!!! Lots and lots and lots of money!!!!

Anonymous said...

My thought exactly

Anonymous said...

Hahaha! E reach to ask. My dear work on your comprehension skills oh.

Unknown said...

Dat gurl shuld b held to pay back all she ate..ibo gels nd money

Anonymous said...

Seems to me that the big thief here is the original owner of the money. 1.5 million dollars in cash....hmmm

Unknown said...

Dat gurl shuld b held to pay back all she ate..ibo gels nd money

Anonymous said...

Most reasonable comment. The biggest thief is the original owner.

Anonymous said...

Mumu

Anonymous said...

The kind of english I see here tho.

Anonymous said...

$1.5m bros.

Anonymous said...

Wot Linda wrote was $1.5mill USD = over N150mill_ abi ur eyes need a medicated glasses?

Anonymous said...

Who is the owner of this money? I think the owner should also be in consideration because what goes around comes around or is it company money in Nigeria? if so why in dollars and why not in the bank . Nigaaaaaaaaaaa

ZeeZe said...

The owner of the money has a strong mind, leaving all that cash in an airport and being able to sleep at night. I swear this recovery of the money was juju assisted because enh tracing all those assets - glad she has her money back

ZeeZee said...

LOOOOOL Crim does not pay at alllllll LOOOOL the guy was smart but- sorry his downfall shall be sure- that girlfriend person was duped seriously though and LOL at the person who said
"bought two plots of land for N4.5 million and built a six-bedroom flat, bought a jeep and enjoyed my life. My only regret is that the government will confiscate my land and vehicle and the balance I have in the bank will be returned to the owner while I will become poor again; a situation I thought that I had overcome for life" #saybyetoyourillacquiredriches annd say hello to something you never worked to get out of #hellopovertyforyou

Anonymous said...

My brothers,you can easily earn money on google adsense and stop looking for bad ways to get money,i give free lessons for through writting articles on how to earn money on line,legit,no scam and its all free

visit
http://www.dailydock.com/

Recent Posts