Sierra Leone sprinter, who lost entire family to Ebola, now homeless on streets of London | Welcome to Linda Ikeji's Blog

LI_Leaderboard_4

LI_Leaderboard_1

LI_Leaderboard_2

LI_Leaderboard_3

Thursday 9 April 2015

Sierra Leone sprinter, who lost entire family to Ebola, now homeless on streets of London


20 year old Jimmy Thoronka, a top sprinter from Sierra Leone who competed at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow in August 2014 is now broke, homeless and living illegally on the streets of London. Jimmy vanished after the Games where he competed in the 100-meter relay race after he was told that his entire adoptive family had been wiped out by Ebola in the small village of Bombali district in Sierra Leone.

While trying to find his feet in London, his passport and all the money he had was stolen from him...


Jimmy's Visa expired in September and with no way to get back home, he started to sleep on the streets.
“Mostly, I sleep at the park,” he told The Guardian. “Sleeping in the park, sleeping on the bus, moving around the bus up and down … So I’ll be doing that until daybreak.”
He said he still hopes to be a world athlete and has been keeping shape even though he was destitute
"I really want to be a star, a real athlete, a good athlete, one of the best stars in the world, or at least in my country. So I have that dream, that even in the situation I’m in, and the constraints that I face, I just keep saying to myself, ‘OK, I have to keep training, I have to keep training.’”

Shortly after Guardian ran his interview, he was tracked down and arrested by London police on a charge of overstaying his visa. But after a thorough investigation, the UK police decided not to deport after confirming that his hometown Gbendembu in Sierra Leone was badly hit by Ebola and remains under quarantine.
 “I am so happy that I am free again,” he told the Guardian on Sunday. “At first I was told that they were going to send me back to Sierra Leone and I cried and cried. I was very scared.”
After Guardian ran a second story on the athlete, someone touched by his plight opened a gofundme page for him to help him raise money. So far about $40,000 has been raised for Jimmy.
 “I am amazed that people all over the world have offered to help me after they read my story,” he told Guardian. “I don’t know how to thank everyone. If I can make a success of my life as a sprinter my plan is to go back to Sierra Leone and help homeless people. I know how much suffering there is when you are homeless. Last week I had no hope but now maybe I will make it.”

53 comments:

Davido's driver said...

Oh dear! My oga will help him im sure

AbokiDaWarriBoy said...

Awwww I feel for em o* dried tears*

Unknown said...

Ehyaaah.. Where is the government?

SHOCKING Reasons You should Never have SEX Before marriage!!!

BONARIO NNAGS said...

Awww! I feel his pain, I pray he starts making a living for himself again from what he knows how to do best.

~BONARIO~says so via NOKIA LUMIA

Flavia said...

It's never about falling...its about getting up and running faster...its about not giving up regardless the circumstances. It's believing there is always something beta. God be with him

Unknown said...

What is 'maybe'? You are a free man with $40,000 to your name, so where is the maybe coming from bsyds what has his embassy over there done??? Linda take note!

Unknown said...

What is 'maybe'? You are a free man with $40,000 to your name, so where is the maybe coming from bsyds what has his embassy over there done??? Linda take note!

Unknown said...

It's a shitty world but hopefully you'll be all you want to be. Amen. ----C21

Unknown said...

Is well ..government should do something about it

Unknown said...

Happy4 him.....thank God 4 u

Unknown said...

what a world

Anonymous said...

why you so late on your news stories

Ehi said...

God is good. From hopelessness to hopefulness.

Anonymous said...

I LYK HS FAITH AND I PRY HELP COMES TO HIM FAST....TOMJERRYSWIT

Unknown said...

So touching story, thank God people came to his aid.

Anonymous said...

Mehn, I'm fighting tears. God continue to bless this young man pls. #LINDAPOSTMYCOMMENT

Unknown said...

A yah what a pity may you find help in christ name AMEN





....JOSHSAYSO...LIB...FAN

Unknown said...

It Is Well!

Carina Kikelomo Jacob said...

So sad. I hope help comes his way.

Unknown said...

Wow, I am happy for him

Unknown said...

Wow! Thank God 4d lovely people in UK to assist him b on his feet if not he wil hav b deported back home, and he wil hav to start frm square one.

Dantil said...

Sure u can make, bt wen u do, don't forget ur word. Go back hoem & help d homeless. God b wt u amigo

Unknown said...

HMMMM MAY GOD HELP U MY DUDE,HIS NOW UR FAMILY.

Eze said...

Sorry man ........ur ambition now shld be to get a permanent visa or move back to ur country or find a legal home......and not all this ""'I want to become a star "''' one......wish u well niccur

Eze said...

Sorry man ........ur ambition now shld be to get a permanent visa or move back to ur country or find a legal home......and not all this ""'I want to become a star "''' one......wish u well niccur

Seun Ajet said...

How did he get to London in the 1st place?

tsalz c.e.o said...

#smile..

Nky said...

Is well wit u

Anonymous said...

Gud

ody k said...

Gud.Linda watch

Unknown said...

That's unfortunate.

Innocentia Annie said...

Sad news but
Thank God something is been done
and his dreams
i pray shall come to reality

Unknown said...

My brother come carry me go club joor

Unknown said...

God is in control, but dat guy is 20 yrs old???? HMMMMMMMMM

Anonymous said...

He went to rep his country @ commonwealth games

jaysus said...

but what did he do with all the money he made? he put all of them in the wallet that was stolen? abegi!

Anonymous said...

He was at the London Olympics game

Unknown said...

GOD is in control.

Unknown said...

it is well


...linda i'm here!!!...

Unknown said...

it is well


...linda i'm here!!!...

Unknown said...

Linda this a very old news this guy situation now is more far better now their is a charity on his name that already donated upto 30 thousand pounds At as last month so by now it suppose to be more than that

Unknown said...

Chai. Rise n shine not the end

Unknown said...

Chai. Rise n shine not the end

Anonymous said...

All these things are possible but how will he achieve this? Clueless...

Juleslouis said...

Aww. I bet most of d whites won't want to touch him cuz his family died of Ebola. I wish him luck!

isa uk said...

Very old news, the home office is deciding his case whether to keep him in uk

Unknown said...

@ jules..u right..buh I feel for him..

Ada said...

Such a pity. You shall share better testimonies in future, Amen.

Unknown said...

When there's life, there's hope

Anonymous said...

May GOD help him! #team@seybyth (IN D CLUB) WO NI MO KA WIRE dropping soon Dope shit

Anonymous said...

May GOD help him! #team@seybyth (IN D CLUB) WO NI MO KA WIRE dropping soon Dope shit

Anonymous said...

Dis EBOLA bullsh*t!!! Hw many peepz r left in d affected countries. Dshyne

Unknown said...

Happy for you again

Recent Posts