Part 2 of Prayer Request: Beyond My Rugged Self - By Charly Boy | Welcome to Linda Ikeji's Blog

LI_Leaderboard_4

LI_Leaderboard_1

LI_Leaderboard_2

LI_Leaderboard_3

Wednesday 5 March 2014

Part 2 of Prayer Request: Beyond My Rugged Self - By Charly Boy

Written Charly Boy
My father and I didn't always get along but then again as a teenager or a wise ass kid, who got along with their "old fashion" dad? He prepared me for the person i am  today. We made up some 25yrs ago and since then we have built an unusual bond. He developed great respect for my struggles, consistency and focus.  I was filled with so much morale and value that i became a  misfit in an environment that degenerated and became vile and foul, where mediocracy, sycophancy, reigns supreme. In life there are a few things that can hit you so hard that even years later you are left emotionally scarred, one of such experiences for me was the death of my beloved elder sister Charlotte in 1981. That was the very first time I saw a dead corps closeup, my sister was too beautiful to die. Since then I always avoid wake keeps and funerals as much as I can,   because  i just cant bear to see people in grief. What I felt that day has never left me till date...

On Friday morning, the 15th of February, I left the Punk Palace with my no nonsense daughter Yvonne to meet up a few appointment already scheduled for the day. I just didn't feel right that morning, I got up from the wrong side of my bed, something was amiss but I couldn't put my finger on it.   I was unusually quiet throughout the day and my daughter sensed it. I didn't know what was doing me until later that evening I got the phone call from Oguta (my village) that rattled the hell out of me. My Father has just been hit by stroke. My household were all in shock.. When a family member has an illness, the entire family can be affected. No one slept in my house that day, my daughter, Adaeze was visiting from the States, she was most upset. The following morning she and my younger brother flew to Owerri from Abuja to go be by my fathers side, while i waited till monday to do banking before i left to join them. By the time I left on Monday morning, I was emotionally and spiritually ready for the worst, but nothing prepared me for what I was about to face on arrival.

The hospital acclaimed one of the best in Owerri, was in my books , like a roadside mechanic workshop. The doctors and nurses I saw initially were like fulkanizers. By the time I saw my father and how the stroke had distorted his face I became teary eyed. The whole setup was wrong..The left side of his body was immobilised, reducing my handsome father to a corpse like state. The Socrates of the supreme court was not fit to be in such a hospital. From the day I came till 5days later when the consultant were satisfied to grant his discharge so we could relocate him to Abuja, he was making amazing and miraculous  improvement. The care and attention my fada later got from the nurses and doctors was very touching, we became like one big family. I thank my brother cousin, Dr. Reginald Oputa and all those who showed love.
On the morning of the 21st of February as soon as my pops was discharged, I drove him from the hospital to Owerri airport e route Abuja. As I wheeled him into the departure hall, all eyes followed me. I even saw surprises on more than a few faces, but everyone was wearing such a big smile, the hall  suddenly  came alive. As I was readjusting my pops sitting position and cleaning his droll on the left hand side of his face. Almost all passengers in the departure hall was standing in line waiting to shake my fathers hand. Yes I know my Fada is a good man, always have been and am proud he taught me.  That scene was a very touching one for me. It was such an outpouring of love. Moments later, an elderly woman walked up to us and put twenty thousand naira in my hand and whispered, "keep taking good care of your father, I love you for this" After her, as if it was choreographed a man came forward and put a white envelope in my arm and said "here is my widows mite." The show  of love to me and my daddy that day brought tears to my eyes. Yes, I am very emotional and sentimental. I didn't quite get it till I saw the following mail in my face book page.

My Areafada Sir, 
Some things in life can leave you with so much surprise, it leaves you wondering whether what your naked eyes see is actually true.  You know the human mind always helps us to create pictures of things we’ve only heard of but yet to see or experience. Most times we might begin to believe the picture our mind has played out but sometimes we are privileged to see the real thing and we are shocked what the difference really is. Abeg no vex Areafada, you must be wondering where this is headed or who the hell it is but you don’t know me I’m a fan of yours on Twitter, Facebook  and on BB, I’m a huge fan.

My mind has its picture of you and what you are like, I imagine you sometimes and you come out to be this very mean, hard looking, pompous and scary fellow. I have never seen you before but that’s what my mind shows me.
Then I saw you for the very first time at the airport recently with your ill father, though I had heard the news, I didn’t quite get the picture of what it was like. My heart melted abi na froze, don’t just get it. Not because he was ill or because of who he is or who you are but because of the compassion I saw. I mean you are Charlyboy, my Areafada and you could possibly hire someone to clean him up and watch over him while he was with you but you were doing it yourself, that’s what I found amazing and loving and caring. Short of words…

It was a beautiful picture, different from what my mind had created. I have learnt again that never should we assume that we know someone. I’m not saying you are a saint, I’m saying everyone has their good side. I saw yours the very first time I met you. Twale for you Sir.

Your Big Fan
Big Ben.

Now this explains the big smile I saw on people's faces that day. God bless you all.

61 comments:

Toronto Finest said...

This man shd go to church for prayer request jor. Notime

sojiment said...

Bedroom must be very boring for his wife having allowed him Tim yo write this epistle...

sojiment said...

Bedroom must be very boring for his wife having allowed him to write this epistle

Millypee said...

This man don start again.

Anonymous said...

Really touching!He is made whole IJN!Amen

Unknown said...

Really touching!He is made whole IJN!Amen.

Anonymous said...

Oh my god. Wat happenning.
Is d father dieing
Mrs okonkwo

Anonymous said...

Oh my god. Wat happenning.
Is d fathere dieing
Mrs okonkwo

Anonymous said...

Oh my god. Wat happenning.
Is d fathere dieing
Mrs okonkwo

Anonymous said...

Oh my god. Wat happenning.
Is d fathere dieing
Mrs okonkwo

Anonymous said...

Oh my god. Wat happenning.
Is d fathere dieing
Mrs okonkwo

Anonymous said...

Oh my god. Wat happenning.
Is d fathere dieing
Mrs okonkwo

Unknown said...

Awwww... ur dad is aged,so b prepared cos e can go anytime soon... jst b strong 4 ur family!! loveeeee

Unknown said...

Very touching

Unknown said...

awwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnn!!!! these is very emotional i know he looks scary and weird ave always seen him has hard cover but soft on the inside.................. #godbless all does bad news about u i never believed.

Anonymous said...

Never judge ur fellow human...some of us are still human tho...

Unknown said...

U neeed d prayers more

Anonymous said...

awwwwwwwwwnnnnn!!!! ave always known u as a good man, i know u look scary and weird but u re just ur persons, hard on the cover but soft inside #godbless all those stories about u i never believed.

Unknown said...

awwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnn!!!! these is very emotional i know he looks scary and weird ave always seen him has hard cover but soft on the inside.................. #godbless all does bad news about u i never believed.

Anonymous said...

I dislike this Dude...He scares me..Gosh!

~Beautiful Lopez~

BLING said...

on paragraph 2: lines 2/3, u got up from d wrong side of your coffin you meant yeah? i dont know bt i just cant get my self to like dis Charly Boy of a creature.

www.glowyshoes.com said...

Quite touching..check out www.glowysofiscated.blogspot.com for ur shoe gist.

Bonita Bislam said...

This guy is becoming boring.everyday article from same him makes it monotonous for people like me to read#myopinion

AnnMarie said...

May God heal him

Anonymous said...

Tears flowing from my eyes. . . Children care, honour & love your Parents. God bless u Charlyboy.

Anonymous said...

Why do I get the feeling that Mr Charles is seriously craving for attention with all his various writeups... Didn't he see someone he's older than using his writing skills to speak and defend the personality of someone who society holds in high esteem... Why is he always in our faces, telling us stuffs that has no effect on our lives and why does he always talk about himself like he's the only one in the lime light, I personally don't care if his dad is sick or not, I don't care how he runs his marriage, his personal life and what he eats for lunch. If he wants to talk, let him talk abot what affects us as a people and forget about himself for once.
If the urge should come to talk about his personal life and what goes on in it, I think that was why the diary was invented, otherwise he should take a chill pill. My name is Lucky

Anonymous said...

May God send his healing hands upon your dad....The famous oputa # nice man #

Anonymous said...

I can relate with the Areafada in this trying time.Reminds me of how we carried My late Dad until we finally lost him to Pancreatic Cancer in 2011.May God sustain ur entire family and grant ur Dad speedy recovery.

Anonymous said...

May God forgive u Toronto or woteva u are...idiot!


*****Biggest Dick*****

Unknown said...

Thats Love ...Area fada keep it Up!

Truth Hurts!!! said...

Awww... area fada!!! I just wept, reading your write up. I pray for God's blessings n grace upon ur family, amen.

Beautiful piece!!

Anonymous said...

May the Almighty God heal n guide u sir oputa.I wsh u quick recovery amin.as for charlyboy keep standin by his side.he really nid ur luv,care, support n prayers.tnx

Unknown said...

Seconded

Unknown said...

Seconded

Anonymous said...

Any mean comment here is insensitive. This man is going through pains. People have different way of going about pains and preparing for the worst . Please allow him. Chi

Anonymous said...

Badoo of Toronto abi na Canada....wat is it na...ur comments smtimes!!!ishhhh Dan allah Dan anabi..yi shuru

Anonymous said...

May God forgive u Toronto or watever you seem to be. Didi is well in Jesus name. Amen. Ekwueme nwa ogaranya. $£.

Bekemhen said...

Is not only the church that can pray for someone,Ўoΰ too can. May the healing power of God rest upon him and vitalise his motal body keeping everything anew in jesus name.Amen

Anonymous said...

HEYA, HANG IN THERE. GOD BLESS!

Amarachukwu said...

Whatever!!!

derry said...

Oputapanal is ageing but God is in control

Anonymous said...

Amarachukwu...pls change ur name....cos ur attitude sucks..even if u don't like Charley boy...dis isn't a watever situation...so keep ur fucking mouth shut if u can't be sympathetic...thanks!

Anonymous said...

Weren't you the one commenting under chris attohs love message to dami that you wished you had a boyfriend? Well "ugly lopez", your ugliness, childishness, lack of empathy, is probably the biggest reason for your singleness. I would advise you, grow up, learn to shut the hell up when you have nothing nice to say, sit your funky ass down at the kiddies tables when adults are talking and commenting, get rid of that ugliness inside you and you know what? one day, Perhaps one guy might just see you and with pity in his heart ask, why is this funk still single? Just for the sake of planet earth, I would not let her eggs go to waste and choose to consumate with you. Silly ugly thing like you, disliking someone. What did he do to you? He scares you? You know how many degrees of freedom we have, if he is standing to your east, look to your west and shut the hell up while you're at it. Guy is sharing his heartfelt thoughts and thats all you can bring to the table? A bowl of negativity?

cyr ed said...

Justice Oputa 's one of the greatest judges this country has even seen. No lawyer graduates, without coming across,a couple of his judgements. Obviously the old saying 'the apple does not fall far 4rm the tree' is entirely off this time! The father's totally diff 4rm the son. But the love n closeness btwn them is never in question regardless. He allowed his son to live his dream, now the son's happiness n fulfilment reflects in his compassion towards him now.. May God guide their family

Anonymous said...

There are too many irrational people leaving ridiculous comments on this forum. For crying out loud, how many of them will take the time or have the heart to do what Charly Boy is doing? Won't they relegate such duty to their house help or relative(s) from the village? Rubbish! I have never liked Charley Boy but lately I have come to the conclusion that he's a good guy with a huge heart. My mother suffered a stroke in Nigeria some years ago and we(her children) brought her to the states where we all reside. It was not easy looking after her in that condition. We all took turns and lost her a few years later. (Still so painful). I can feel Charley Boy's pain. I have nothing short of genuine respect for Charley Boy for the way he takes care of his parents, his undying love for his children and his solid marriage to the same woman for so long. To all of you cursing, swearing and commenting sheepishly on what you know nothing about, kindly take a chill pill.

Anonymous said...

Ur name is Lucky, nd no 1 really givs a fuck abt dat, so shut d fuck up.

Unknown said...

Eeya....Charlyboy go to God in prayers.He alone holds the key to ur father's good health.
The Lord is ur strength.

Apple said...

May your dad get well soon

Anonymous said...

Justice Oputa is a great man...I remember his court room proceedings...how inspiring he was to young me and he made me aspire to great heights and I felt proud for the igbos...get well soon IJN..
May God reward u charlyboy...the blacksheep of the family mostly turn out to be the ones at their parents' side in old age.. Lesson,allow your children develop their own personality.

Anonymous said...

Cyr ed...you are one of the few learned readers/commenters on this blog...I agree with you totally....justice oputa was and still remains a great man..nigerian youths lack knowledge of their history,they only know the evil and corrupt pple that deface naija hence the many nasty comments on this blog..

Anonymous said...

Justice Oputa is a great man...I remember his court room proceedings...how inspiring he was to young me and he made me aspire to great heights and I felt proud for the igbos...get well soon IJN..
May God reward u charlyboy...the blacksheep of the family mostly turn out to be the ones at their parents' side in old age.. Lesson,allow your children develop their own personality.

Oyemen. said...

*Smiles*.

Anonymous said...

Linda y didn't u post my comment

Anonymous said...

The Lord Denning of our time is going. Who can fill in the vaccum? Enjoy every moment with your parents cos as you age you begin to appreciate their efforts. Parenting is not easy. I am happy Charly Boy now appreciates his father the more.

Values change as we age.

MY TURN said...

Is the guy ill or something...

Anonymous said...

I have always known that your "hardman" show is a cover up. The MAN inside is Humane "what I see". May God strengthen your Daddy and grant your heart desire!

BEAUTIFUL ONYINYE said...

MAY GOD BLESS UR KIND HEART FOR TAKING OF UR DAD CHARLES. MANY CELEBRITIES CANT DO THIS. I PRAY DAT JESUS' STRIP WILL HEAL HIM, MAY GOD REWARD HIM WITH LONG LIFE, STRENGTHEN HIM AND SAVE HIM, AMEN.

perpetual amaka said...

why are some people so insensitive? this is a tough time for charly boy for crying out loud.some comments here are so full of childishness plllzzzzzzzz.think before you type this time around.may God heal mr. oputa in Jesus name. AMEN

Anonymous said...

AREA FADA don't lose hope ,your fathers good work will get him well.

JOYCHY said...

Well I pray & wish ur dad a speedy recovery. hv really come 2 see d other side of u.
But Charly some of d details pointed out here are better off left out, not really necessary 4 d public....

THE GREAT ONE said...



MAY GOD HEAL JUSTICE OPUTA IN JESUS NAME. AMEN.THERE IS NOTHING IMPOSSIBLE FOR HIM. MEANWHILE, CHARLY BOY REALLY NEEDS TO TIE HIS TWO LEGS TOGETHER AND PRETEND TO BE A MERRMAID.

Recent Posts