13 students hospitalised in Lagos after inhaling poisonous fumes | Welcome to Linda Ikeji's Blog

LI_Leaderboard_4

LI_Leaderboard_1

LI_Leaderboard_2

LI_Leaderboard_3

Friday, 7 March 2014

13 students hospitalised in Lagos after inhaling poisonous fumes

13 students of Ogba Junior Grammah School, Ogba, in Ojodu Lagos collapsed yesterday March 6th after inhaling an unidentified poisonous fumes discharged from one of the cottage factories in Ogba Shopping Arcade, Vanguard reports.
This came four months after 25 of the students of the same school collapsed after inhaling an unidentified chemical waste discharged into drainage by a Photo Laboratory, situated in the Shopping Arcade.

When Vanguard visited the school, the management and staff were wondering which company would have discharged such hazardous fumes this time around.

Also, our correspondent observed that parents of the students raced to the scene to verify the condition of  their children. While those whose children weren’t affected by the emission rushed them back home, some were also sighted wailing over the ugly incident.

Mr. Oladokun, the father of one of the victims, who rushed to the scene immediately he heard of the incident, said: “I was in the office when  my wife called me that my daughter, who is in JSS 3 was also affected.”
The incidents was said to have occurred at about 12:40 pm while the students were still in their classes.

Vanguard gathered that the leak of the dangerous gas was least expected as it enveloped the premises making the victims unconscious.

Officials of the  National Emergency management Agency, NEMA and its Lagos state counterpart, LASEMA and the Lagos State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit, SEHMU arrived the scene and rushed the unconscious victims to the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, LASUTH, Ikeja for treatment.

Of the 13 affected students, one was a male while the rest were females. Vanguard investigation revealed that one of the students was in critical condition and has been admitted at the Intensive Care Unit.

Some of the affected students were: Tijani Mariam, Subaidat Oladokun, Adebiyi Taiwo, Muiz Rodiat, Ogunbami Omolade, Onaigbe Blessing, Karimat Akiode, Rasak Gbolahan and Modupe Idowu.

Vanguard learnt that although the company responsible for discharging the chemical was yet to be identified, the state government has shut the school and the shopping complex indefinitely.

Source: Vanguard

60 comments:

kendrick Oke said...

they should keep inhaling..
nonsense!!!

Anonymous said...

So bad #bright bravo#

last baby said...

God. This is carelessness

kendrick Oke said...

thank God they didn't die anyways

diamondblinqZ said...

Na wa o. Wat is dis country turninq in2? D north isn't safe wif boko haram den d south or west or east isn't safe also wif eda kidnappinqs or polluted @mosphere n wat hv u. So were else cud one qo 2 n b safe? I am tired already.

Alloy Chikezie said...

The commissioner for environment need to do something about this, to prevent something of this nature repeating itself


Your comment will be visible after approval

folake alice said...

Thank God nobody was killed

Utonwa said...

Please make this people no go kill our children them.bikowa!

ONYX GODWIN said...

Terrible! Hopefully no lyf wud b lost

bonita bislam said...

How can companies be sited so close to school? But do we ever learn? Imagine same thing happened some times back and it isn't enough reason for either the school/company to relocate.This company should be sued sha

Okoro said...

Thank God no one died and I pray no one does..

Emer said...

There is no need to shut the school. The shopping arcade/complex which is obviously the source, is enough.

Anonymous said...

I knw say no Igbo nigga go follow dere cus I don fyn Igbo name taya I no see ....igbo man and his mind no fit succumb 2 dat gas ......#proudly_Igbo





Ejòr elo ní nokia charger..

Obinna James said...

It's a pity our government do not monitor any of these companies in naija. They do what suits them and get away with it, They enslave there workers and torture them still no one talks, Where are heading to? I feel for these children, wishing them speedy recovery.

dorcas akpan said...

What kinda thing is dis?????that company should be sued......imagine...

RHOSE E said...

GOD PLS TAKE CARE OF OUR CHILDREN OOOOO

Anonymous said...

I don dey find IGBO person name there but Non-found Igbo man no fit succumb 2 dis gas ..........Igbo kwenu !!!!
#Proudly_igbo oya ndi ofe mmanu start talkin thrash...






Ejòr elo ní nokia charger..

Anonymous said...

Aye axemen!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Na wa ooo!!! Pls God save those Children....

Zenki brown said...

That company shud be shut down. Air pollution in its highest order. Wanna kill pple???

Deolar08 said...

Diz company needs to be closed down for such hazardous fumes! I pray God grant diz children involved quick recovery#

hilary obiorah said...

It is all the planlessness of this our country, industries and schools shouldn't be in the same place at all! But here you see a filling station smack dead in the middle of a residential area!

Milly Pee said...

na wa ooo. hian ooooh!

IBK said...

Thank God for d prompt medical service

Anonymous said...

When the government refuses to do its work,you give permits for factories situated in residential areas.churches n mosques built around homes etc.the lack of electricity supply causing most companies to run generators round the clock endangering lives with its emission cos the fuel is bad,the equipment needs service from over usage.

@edDREAMZ said...

If steady light dey for naija, all this rubbish for dey happen.....
.
.
.
***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

@MeetdrealEvans said...

That company will pay tru their nose...

@edDREAMZ said...

All those factory owners should be arrested as quick as possible so as to avoid causing more harm to other people ......
.
.
.
***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

Anonymous said...

Chemical company plenty around that side and government need to act fast ! Maybe evacuate them



Jaccuzi #gidiboi#

Anonymous said...

To make quick money, people would use cheap chemical. God save us all

Anonymous said...

Smh,if these kind thing happen in the states. I don hammer be that. Chaii. Awuff money

Anonymous said...

U are an idiot for makin such a senseless statement.. If it were ur child would u have said such? Or do u think dey inhaled it by choice? Think befor u talk, and be careful lest ur words judge u Someday.. Ewu kambia

CAPTAIN'S BOO said...

Thought my mum heard a false information when she called me to ask if I wasn't affected by any poisonous gas.
The school is quite far from mine na.
May God grant them speedy recovery.

Anonymous said...

Sweetie! Pick Race now to JESUS and you definitely will be safe.

fakeyorubagirl said...

Who knwz if d effect could be cancerous in the nxt 3yrz?! Naija n their disrespect 4 lives sha!!!! I just taya I swear.abeg any1 knwz aw I can renounce my citizenship?I'm ashamed 2 b a part of all this negligence n hardship

Anonymous said...

U sure say no b bokoharam send dem so

Anonymous said...

Again?
Wasn't the lab sanctioned the first time it happened?
I guess not.

Anonymous said...

All the parent should watch, Ellen brockweik

Anonymous said...

Kendrick why did u say that? Are u that wicked? What if ur siblings were there ?If u don't know what to say seal ur lips biko

Topebrass said...

Nice move by d govt

peperina said...

I pray dey close down the company

Anonymous said...

I kno say yoruba pple go soon blame Goodluck

Anonymous said...

WHAAT IS THIS AGAIN?

otevee said...

serious....the school should be moved from there na...and i pray its not a residential area cause if yes the factory should be sued...i pray d kids get well soonest

Amarachukwu said...

Thank God no life was lost!

norsence Aye axemen said...

U are mad,c ur mouth like Aye axemen stupid.....u beta go repent..hissss

J said...

Thank God for quick intervention to save lives of these students. Disasters are unpredictable, it always necessary to put in place emergency system.

JBayo said...

Thank God for quick intervention to save lives of these students. Disasters are unpredictable, it always necessary to put in place emergency system. God bless Federal Republic of Nigeria and these first responders for saving lives.

Apple said...

Those Chinese companies in that area should be checked properly, Nigerians should not just collect bribe and cover them up! Nigerians can not try this rubbish in their country!

AnnMarie said...

thank God they survived

Anonymous said...

Just kill ya self,as simple as dat!!!!! Ewu gambia

Anonymous said...

Lol

Anonymous said...

Just kill ya self,as simple as dat!!!!! Ewu gambia

Anonymous said...

God wι̥ℓℓ continue to watch over them and give them quick recovery.

Anonymous said...

Y do u reason tru ur anus? Mumu highst level

Anonymous said...

Since incidents of this nature occur there frequently the school should be relocated if possible.

vc10

Anonymous said...

Since incidents of this nature occur there frequently the school should be relocated if possible.

vc10

Anonymous said...

I wish dem quick recovery


FDJ

Anonymous said...

Kendrick I fink u have mental prblm to hav said dis

Anonymous said...

The implication of these toxic chemicals can be devastating both now n in d long run.our authorities shld stop treating issues like this wit levity.what those children inhaled can have an adverse ef
fect on their health which could be worse than death.

Recent Posts