Man narrates how he was imprisoned for 15yrs for a murder he didn't commit | Welcome to Linda Ikeji's Blog

LI_Leaderboard_4

LI_Leaderboard_1

LI_Leaderboard_2

LI_Leaderboard_3

Friday 11 September 2015

Man narrates how he was imprisoned for 15yrs for a murder he didn't commit

A 40yr old man identified as Effiong Elemi-Edu has narrated how he was imprisoned for 15 years for the murder of politician, Alfred Rewane, which it was later discovered that he was not to involved in.

Narrating his ordeal to Aljazeera, Effiong  who is from Cross Rivers, said on October 6th 1995 in the Ikeja part of Lagos state, he had gone out to buy suya for himself and his wife when suddenly he heard gunshots. According to him, he took cover and later decided to run to his house. As he made the move to run home, he was halted by an order from a police officer.



"I stopped. There were police officers, lots of them."

They asked him where he was going and he told them but instead of letting him go on his way, the officers pushed him into their vehicle and accused him of being an armed robber.

"I didn't understand what they meant because I was not carrying any weapon on me, just the money I was going to use to buy suya. They took us, myself and one other guy to SARS [Special Anti-Robbery Squad] at Ikeja, where they kept me under a tree. Later, they came and took me to the 'theatre'. There, there were two drums filled with sand. I was tied like a goat, two of my hands at my back; they crossed an iron rod at my back, and then hanged me" He said he hung in that position for One hour, 20 minutes.

"They tried to force me to admit I was an armed robber - they even shot me in the leg. I have never robbed anyone in my life. I was just a young man struggling to save money to get admission into a higher institution to further my education."

Effiong who had a dream of becoming a mass communicator had his hope dashed because an influential politician Delta state, Alfred Rewane, had been assassinated that morning by unknown gunmen at his residence in Ikeja GRA, a few hundred metres from Effiong's home.

Effiong was in the wrong place at the wrong time

"They held me for days. There was no phone at that time and there was no way for me to get in touch with my family. It was my wife who learned about it. I think the people who saw me when I was taken away told her. Then she travelled home to inform my mother. They wanted me to copy a statement they had written to say that I am an armed robber and that‎ I conspired with the others in the murder of Rewane. I refused. They beat me till my face was covered with blood which was pouring from my left ear.‎ I didn't want to die, so I recopied the statement in my own handwriting. The statement is what they used in implicating us. As I was recopying the statement, the only thing on my mind was that I didn't do anything and that my God will let everyone know the truth. It was later that one of the‎ policemen came to tell us that he was sorry, that it was an order from above.‎ Later, they charged eight of us with the murder of the man. I don't know the man, never heard of him. Those that I was charged with murder with, I had never seen any of them in my life."he said.

After being tortured and forced to admit guilt, seven of the men were arraigned before a high court, and sent to Kirikiri prison to await trial. But when the men arrived at the prison, prison officials insisted that the police take them to hospital to have their wounds treated. Instead, they took them to a police station - where four of the men subsequently died, reportedly due to the injuries sustained while being tortured by the police.

"The torture and suffering were too much," Effiong reflects.

Rewane's killing was later linked to the military junta of Nigeria's then dictator, the late Sani Abacha. But Effiong and two other men - Elvis Irenuma and Lucky Igbinovia, who had both worked for Rewane - continued to languish in prison.

Then, after 15 years, more than 200 adjournments and the prosecution's inability to produce any evidence linking the suspects to the crime‎, the trial judge discharged the case and acquitted the suspects, upholding a 'no case submission' made by the defence counsel.

"It appears to me that all the police did was to visit the venue of the incident and arrest the workers," the judge declared in her judgement.

So it was that, 15 years after they were arrested, three of the seven arraigned men - Effiong Elemi-Edu, Lucky Igbinovia and Elvis Irenuma - walked out of prison.

But gone was the fit 25-year-old who was picked up that night. In his place was a balding 40-year-old man who walks with a limp,  a constant reminder of the torture he endured.

"I spoke with Lucky recently, he's in Switzerland now," Effiong says. "I don't know what he is doing there. We speak but not regularly. [And] I saw Elvis in June this year. I am supposed to call him, only I don't have enough units in my phone."

As for Effiong, things are not going according to plan.

"I've been facing a lot of challenges, accommodation-wise, money-wise. I need to get my own place. Right now I'm squatting with my brother and his wife in a one-room apartment. That's why I'm praying to God to help me get a place of my own. "When we were over there [in prison] ... at times these churches [would] ... come over to visit. Immediately [when] you ... come out and say you want to go to church and give a testimony, they will look at you and say 'Where is this guy going?' Once, somebody came out [and] they accommodated him. [But] ... the guy packed everything away [stole from them]. So they [the churches] stopped helping other people."

Early on in his imprisonment, his wife would visit him. But the visits stopped without warning, and when Effiong was released, he heard that she had remarried. He had no idea where to begin looking for her.
Two years later, Effiong also remarried. His new wife, Juliet, lives in Cross River, where Effiong is originally from.

"My daughter is one year and four months now. I'm yet to set my eyes on [her]. Her name is Rose. They sent her picture to me. [But] I haven't travelled home to Cross River since 2013 because financially I'm not okay‎. I'm so down. If I see money now, I will travel home today, today, today. I can't tell you a lie, life has not been easy. What will I do? It's only by the special grace of God that one is surviving and living. Things are really so tough in the sense that I just leave everything to God. These days I watch football. Then listen to gospel songs. If I'm alone, I just go through my Bible. They wasted my time. They wasted the talent that God gave to me. At times it pains me, when I look at the way things are going. I know the level my friends are at now. Is it not my classmate in secondary school that is a commissioner in Cross River? The other one is working in Central Bank. The other one is a lawyer in Port Harcourt. But I don't dwell on those things. If I do, one day I'll just be struck down by a stroke. So I have to put all those things behind me [and] let the will of God be done."he said

Source: Aljazeera

89 comments:

Unknown said...

God's retribution b open u

Blog It With Olivia said...

Chai, very ugly situation, there's nothing as painful as suffering for somethn u knw nothing about, kills some1 softly










#iT WiLL OnLY gEt BettER
#iT MusT eNd iN PrAiSE

Blog It With Olivia said...

Chai, very ugly situation, there's nothing as painful as suffering for somethn u knw nothing about, kills some1 softly










#iT WiLL OnLY gEt BettER
#iT MusT eNd iN PrAiSE

Alloy Chikezie said...

That's the kind of police "forces" we have in Nigeria. Other countries they have police department, but here in Nigeria, we have police "force" so appalling how they treat innocent citizens.
I think the government or police should compensate this man for all the 15yrs they wasted his life and time.

Your comment will be visible after approval.

Unknown said...

What a pity*sheds tears*May God comfort and stabilize him


My Year Of Linda's 100k

Unknown said...

Quite touching, Let Got gotcha... you gone be alright man

Livvsreamblog said...

Nigeria jagajaga...poor man dey suffer suffer

Unknown said...

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said...
.
God fuck this country by far shah...... God i hate my country with passion i swear....
.
.
***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

Anonymous said...

I remember during the Justice oputa panel how almustapha told the world of how police arrest and force suspects to read thr scripts and then implicate themselves. The nigerian police force have done too many evil in the country and they will never have peace those that involved in all these kind of rubish .amen

STERN said...

I don't need to read it cos I know it's gonna be a sad tale. Sorry man..

BONARIO NNAGS said...

Very unfortunate incident, many people are suffering same fate in our country Nigeria.
I don't if I am to term SARS a blessing or a curse to our country.
They have wasted many innocent lives.

~BONARIO~says so via NOKIA LUMIA

Anonymous said...

AKOBA ADABA OLURUN MA JE JA RIIIIII......

Anonymous said...

Poor man how can I reach this dude I want to help him .

Pro said...

Tears in my eyes, corruption everywhere God forbid... may God strengthen you Mr effiong and give you speed, it is only with GOD that you can overtake.

That vuvuzela P guy

Unknown said...

Touching story. I pray that he recovers every thing he lost


Revealed! How Sleeping on Your Side May Protect You from Alzheimer’s

Unknown said...

What could I have done, that warrants I should always be ignored? How does an intelligently upright lady become an MUMU? And finally ended up single parenting after 15yrs - pained, lost, used & dumbed. I thought they said one should not die in silence but here I am, ignored by all. And not one, not one eye care to know if I am well.
Sometimes, lives could be saved if given just alittle attention: encouraged and helped to stand and pick the pieces of their lives. But here I am, ignored again to wallow away because I can't find my helpers. Perhaps this life is not for me.....

Anonymous said...

Linda, this is a very pathetic story,how do we help financially? Any bank account details to pay into?or are you his bearer,can we get a genuine way out reaching out to him? Police men have ruined his life but I believe it's for a better purpose, God, the greatest porter,would mend him back together again. amen

Unknown said...

Kai..... God have mercy... And you want to tell me that if this man pronounces a curse on any of those officers and any member of their family, that they will go scout free? It's a pity... Why we say things like, I no follow N10,000.

Unknown said...

Kai..... God have mercy... And you want to tell me that if this man pronounces a curse on any of those officers and any member of their family, that they will go scout free? It's a pity... Why we say things like, I no follow N10,000.

Unknown said...

And someone will tell me there's Human Rights Commission somewhere. This country - CRAZY!!!

Anonymous said...

EHYA DEY WASTED UR YRS....TOMJERRYSWIT

Unknown said...

Touching story... I felt for this man's narration... NPF wasted his time and talent.

Anonymous said...

Only in Nigeria... They are meant to compensate this man! Any lawyers willing to take this up? Keyamo this is work for you o instead of justifying GMB Work dem no pay you for

Unknown said...

God will punish those men that blackmailed them

Unknown said...

Omg!!! What a terrible experience???? I felt so much for him. God ll grant him d grace t get over dis bad experience. NPF, God is watching u all, wat eva u sow shall u reap.

Unknown said...

Sorry man, sh*t happens!

Unknown said...

So touching felt like crying

..May God help you pick up your broken pieces

..JOSHSAYSO..LIB..FAN

..JOSHSAYSO..LIB..FAN

Anonymous said...

The Lord is your strength..when there is life there is hope.

Anonymous said...

Something needs to be done to compensate people for this kind of treatment from police, someone needs to be accountable, it is a regular thing by the police. But they will not want their family members to go through such, but put innocent people through pain

Anonymous said...

Something needs to be done to compensate people for this kind of treatment from police, someone needs to be accountable, it is a regular thing by the police. But they will not want their family members to go through such, but put innocent people through pain

Osinachi IBIAM-URO said...

Very pathetic story. Please how can this man be reached? www.nachsales.com

Anonymous said...

My dear fellow BV's prayer point ' pray dat u dnt b at d wrong place at d wrong tym'. Prayer!!!. Pray, pray, pray.

Anonymous said...

OH THIS STORY JUST BROKE MY HEART.GOD PLEASE LET THE REMAININING YEARS LEFT FOR HIM BE FILLED WITH JOY AND LAUGHTER. I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT GOD. *CRYING*

Anonymous said...

SANI ABACHA IS THE WORST THING THAT HAS HAPPENED TO NIGERIA

Anonymous said...

THIS MAN WAS ON MOMENT WITH MO SOME MONTHS BACK, SO MO WITH ALL HER MONEY COULDNT AT LEAST HELP HIM OUT? SOME PEOPLE ARE SO STINGY. ALL THEY KNOW IS HOW TO BUY DESIGNERS AND TRAVEL ABROAD

ary said...

Chai! What a waste!

Unknown said...

And government wouldn't compensate this man? And the policemen that arrested, wrongfully accused and tortured this men are still in service? We have a long way to go in this country.

seyi crown said...

Only those in it can explain, 95percent in d prison are innocent only God can help us....pray he will get all d help he needs




Seyilicious

Unknown said...

NIGERIA

Anonymous said...

Police Brutality.. So awful!!

Unknown said...

Hmmmmm
Nawa ooo

When will naija police stop this wickedness?

Unknown said...

Hmmmmm
Nawa ooo

When will naija police stop this wickedness?

AC£S said...

Damn...sad world

Anonymous said...

I am going to give you part two of this story.the government and nigerian politicians will all pretend as them all deaf.noboby will do anything about it

Anonymous said...

Sometimes we shld be be careful when bad thing s strike people cos it cld be from the past deeds...karma they call it,and Nigerian police n sorts will suffer same

Unknown said...

It is well with you.

Anonymous said...

This is so horrible.The bad eggs in the Nigerian Police force just wasted this man's years and turned his life upside down.Please Linda, how can i reach him (effiong)and may the perpetrators never go unpunished.

Anonymous said...

It's such a sad news. We don't even have confidence in the police that is supposed to help protect you and i and the judicial system cannot even be relied upon. Sad sad sad. Wasted years gone

BLUNT said...

I want to help this guy with my token. Who has his contact please? It will never be well with the witches and wizards at the Nigeria police Force.

Anonymous said...

where is that mumu police that was writing about how the police is our friend and how they sacrifice their lives for the citizens? i wish to hear what the dumb fuck will say about this.... those damn police are just a bunch of legalized cult members without a conscience

Anonymous said...

your story is so touching my brother. it is well

Unknown said...

He has never met nor sees d man, bt wrkd 4 him? I'm lost.

Anonymous said...

your story is so touching my brother. it is well

Angel delight said...

So sad.thank God he is new out.my first time here

Anonymous said...

Linda pls provide his contact details so we can help.

Anonymous said...

very bad look at the poor man
very sad story
infact am weeping for the man

Lady D said...

Lindo, give us a chance to help this guy connect us if you can.

Unknown said...

Thank God he's out

Anaigbo said...

Join Biafra and together we will redefine humanity

Uck said...

Allen Peters, don't be DUMB! Since you are lost,let me help your lack of understanding. The part you refer to is "But Effiong and two other men - Elvis Irenuma and Lucky Igbinovia, who had both worked for Rewane - continued to languish in prison."
This means ONLY Elvis and Lucky had both(referencing JUST 2 people) worked for Rewane; NOT Effiong.
You found yourself now?

Cas_paul said...

Where are all the human right organisation in Nigeria? Isnt dis the kind of cases dey are suppose to do a probono on? Pls an organisation needs to build a case against the Nigerian police for the injustice suffered by the man, he needs to be compensated.

Cas_paul said...

Allen read that line again...he hasn't seen the man b4 but two of the men that were arrested with him,were working for d deceased.

Anonymous said...

eeya...please institute a civil suit against the police for wrongful imprisonment. I hope and pray something comes for you soon. Such a sad sad story.

scott said...

Nigeria police....

lulu said...

unless those police involved and many other like them genuinely repent and give their lives to Christ, their families & generations to come shall suffer worse cases in JESUS name..AMEN. pls Linda can YOU set up an account for this man so that some well meaning Nigerians can contribute something for him to start off..PLEASE.

Anonymous said...

Linda u can help by setting up a go fund me account for him so we can help, useless Nigeria police and stupid judges

Unknown said...

Eeeeeeeeeyah! God help us all. Linda take note!

Unknown said...

Eeeeeeeeeyah! God help us all. Linda take note!

Anonymous said...

A lot of innocent people in jail for what they don't know. Some just because they refuse to give police 20 naira. I don't know how they sleep at night . Their children are the ones paying for their sins. They should flush these bad eggs out of the police force. And Nigeria judicial system should look into cases like this without evidence and free those involve . Am praying for those wrongly put in jail. God will touch the heart of those in high places for your freedom. Am so sorry about your situation oga.

Anonymous said...

We have more cases like this today. He said one of the police officers came to apologize that he was acting on orders from above. Can u imagine the kind of people in top positions. This story should be repeated until govt compensates Mr effiong. God have mercy

Anonymous said...

This can push one searching for those police men family and kill all of them
for killing a one man dreams,,,well is well,work with God cos no time is late

Unknown said...

What a touching story......Linda can I get his bank info or contact to make a little token for aid..my email is akingchioma@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

OMOTOLA WONT FIGHT FOR THIS CAUSE, I CAN BET!

It's quite sad to read this story but be strong my brother, its well.

nunulicious said...

he should not be begging for something to eat. where are all those civil groups and human right organisations. step in biko.

Alice said...

I am moved to tears for this man, how unfortunate.
Linda can you please set up a page to contribute our widow's mite for this man.
Please I really want to help.
Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Include ur Email and phone number

Anonymous said...

Get a lawyer and sue the police!!

I B M bolubantin said...

So sad...I pray that GOD should bless him supernaturaly ...there should be some form of compensation

Anonymous said...

I have never commented on this platform & I'm not sure how this works as I'm not very social media savvy but reading this has just changed my erstwhile happy mood. I dunno if Linda reads comments & I wish I knew a better way to do this, but if she does I would like to drop my email address. Pls get across to this man (I really don't know how possible that is) and have him contact me (with proof of course). He deserves to go spend time with his family. aaabulime@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Linda do you have any idea how we can reach this man to send him money? I really want to contribute any small thing I can to his life. Pls post his details if you have it. I'll be checking. Thanks and God bless you.

Unknown said...

Nigeria Police force is an evil organization.they are better terrorist to boko haram.They are killers.their soul is Dark

Anonymous said...

As the Lord liveth, you will regain all the lost years in Jesus name! This is so sad....

Anonymous said...

Hi, Don't give up your miracle is on the way. buzz me for a chat 7B370BA4

Anonymous said...

Hi Linda i just had to comment please how can he be reached. i would like to help

Anonymous said...

Hi Linda i just had to comment please how can he be reached. i would like to help

Anonymous said...

God will establish u and his purpose for keeping u will come to pass

Unknown said...

There are more people like this, imprison for a crime they never committed

Ebby said...

Have you ever seen any policeman or woman making a good home, all their children are hoodlums, useless,nonentities and vagabonds and they the policemen and police women their lives are always miserable bc their hands are not clean. God will judge all of them their generations.

future is now. said...

Linda open a platform to generate money for dis man,u no get human fueling.

Recent Posts