How I survived cancer – Vast of Bracket | Welcome to Linda Ikeji's Blog

LI_Leaderboard_4

LI_Leaderboard_1

LI_Leaderboard_2

LI_Leaderboard_3

Saturday 24 August 2013

How I survived cancer – Vast of Bracket

Vast of Bracket opened up to Vanguardngr.com about his battle with Lymphoma, (a type of cancer of the blood) and how he survived. Read the interview below..
How did it happen? 
I don’t know what to say, but first of all, I want to give thanks to God. I was very sick. Before I went to the hospital, I attended a couple of shows. I wondered how I was able to perform at the shows because I was seriously ill.
My partner Obumneme Ali a.k.a Smash and I, had series of shows and in a situation where payment  has been made, I had no option than to grace the stage. We decided to round off our shows late last year in order to enable me take care of my health in 2013. But unfortunately, up till January this year, we were still going for concerts. We  even had to travel to Australia to stage a concert.

Then, I was visiting one of the hospitals in Lagos, and that was where I was diagnosed. They carried out all the medical examinations, and when the results came out, the Haematologist advised me to seek for further treatment  abroad.
If you have travelled to America or any Schengen country within two years, you can apply for a Priority Visa and we were qualified to do so. We applied and within four days, the visa came out. We met a friend in the UK who introduced us to his brother who is a Medical Doctor. He assisted us and we met a Haematologist who advised that I should re-run all the tests again.
The only thing we didn’t do was the surgery which I did back home before I was diagnosed of suffering from blood cancer. After everything, they started with the treatment they called “Bone Marrow”. It wasn’t an easy one, it was very difficult. I thought I would loose all the blood in my body but thank God I survived it. After a week, I started having complications, I had to return to the hospital to have blood transfusion after which I felt better. We spent a lot of money. At a point, I was hopeless and was only praying to God for His mercies.
After the second chemotherapy, I started exercising because the doctor advised  me to do regular exercise. However, it was after the third chemotherapy that the pictures I took while in the hospital leaked. By then, I was already bouncing back to life because I passed through the valley of the shadow of death. After the fourth chemotherapy, we shot a video, “Temperature” in London .
I didn’t even know I could do that. I initially thought the cycle would be six but before the fifth chemotherapy, the doctor informed us that it was going to be eight. I got confused at that point and even doubted what they were doing. I thought they just wanted to milk me because it was expensive. My manager, partner and Chief Executive Officer however encouraged me to complete the treatment.
I was only going to the hospital, then to the gymnasium and back to the house. After the seventh chemo, I was told to do a Lumber Punch- they would have to inject my spine. It was done after the fifth chemo and it was very painful. I thought I would be paralysed. I was told the Lumber Punch was necessary to prevent the disease from getting to the brain. At that point, our account was almost in the red.
Luckily, a friend known as Ugonna came to London during my third chemo and was moved when he heard that we had accommodation problem. He later gave us some money to look for one. Ugonna was the only person that assisted me financially apart from the prayers and encouragement of my fans and the media. I did the Lumber Punch and lost a lot of blood.
Two days after, I went to get another chemo. When one undergoes chemo, it kills both the good and the bad cells and flushes out all the blood in your system. So, you have to be refreshing. Imagine losing so much blood after the Lumber Punch and after the chemo. I was almost a dead person. My colour overnight. I remembered what the doctor told me that cancer is not the problem but the treatment.
After a week and a half, I started exercising, taking juice and everything that would help build my blood again. I was finally cleared from the hospital and I thank God for His mercies. A lot of people came to our  house to rejoice with us when we  returned to the country during the week. I want to thank them. The likes of P-Square, Jimmy Jatt, Dammy Krane, KCee, Chidinma, Illbliss, JMartins and many others.

What kind of cancer did you have?
I had Lymphoma. It is a blood cancer. When I asked the doctor what caused the cancer of the blood, he said, nobody knows the cause for now. According to him, it’s like a situation where  a dark complexion couple making a baby and the baby turns out to be an albino and if you are asked to explain why, you cannot tell.

I must say that when I was hospitalized, my partner was doing a good job. He would call the producer and they would make a beat and send it to me. He even made the chorus. I picked one of the songs when I came back and hit the studio. We did one of the tracks, it was fantastic. We did another song and it was good as well, all within two days.

During the seven months of your ordeal, what kept you going?
What kept me going was God. Before I went for the treatment,  I saw myself dying slowly. We got the visa and contacted the Medical Doctor that attended to us. It was no doubt the handiwork of God. This doctor handles only cancer related cases.My family, my manager, partner and CEO were there for me. We travelled together. They made sure I was well taken care of, while my ordeal lasted.

Interestingly,  when the picture I took while in the hospital leaked, I was reading the outpour of love, prayers and soothing words from my fans. Some of them even said, they would die if I die. Then the press guys were there for me. They  were  keeping tabs of my progress and informing my fans duly.  All of these,  did a whole lot in keeping me going. That’s why I got the courage and I know that it has always been God, my family, the media and my fans.

What have you learnt from your experience?
I learnt that life is very precious. No matter what you do and wherever you are, don’t look down on anybody because you don’t know who will help you tomorrow. Another thing is that you don’t have to be scared of death. You have to face the challenge. Live a normal life. If you are scared of death, you will die. At a point, when I got very scared,  the sickness came in full force, but when I started picking courage, it subsided and I recovered.

Culled from Vanguardngr.com

134 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, did a journalist write lumbar "punch" or was it Vast? Either way, just "Wow". It sounds so bush...
Also, it is wrong to say that he survived cancer. He survived the treatment...the cancer, we have yet to see.

MAMA IFU IS ALWAYS RIGHT

Unknown said...

Wow, did a journalist write lumbar "punch" or was it Vast? Either way, just "Wow". It sounds so bush...
Also, it is wrong to say that he survived cancer. He survived the treatment...the cancer, we have yet to see.

MAMA IFU IS ALWAYS RIGHT

Unknown said...

Thank God for this bruh. Its nt easy

kwansa said...

Welcome home dearie,thank God for d gift of life.so hapi for u.

Anonymous said...

So happy for him...so lucky he survived it

HATERS-SLAYER said...

all is well dear God has healed u. #ella john#

Rough Diamond said...

In all we give glory to God for ur life!

Anonymous said...

I feel you bro, I have Hodgkin Lymphoma and I'm currently receiving treatment in the UK too. I have a new perspective on life but more importantly this disease has brought me closer to GOD and GOD has been Great. My family and friends have been tremendous, and I have a new appreciation for them, words are not enough to express my gratitude for all they've done for me., they've taken my fight to survive personally and I know its GOD's doing. I am inspired by your courage and positive attitude,that's the same attitude I have and it has helped me by the Grace of GOD handle my treatment relatively well. I can't wait to finish my treatment and be free of this disease. Thanks for sharing your story, I am greatly encouraged by it.

Anonymous said...

God is great!wit God all tins ar possible.my broada I really wanna tank God 4 ur life.i reject evry deadly sickness in my life n dat of my family,AMEN!

Anonymous said...

Thank God for your life. Do not relent in prayers bcos cancer is more spiritual than physical.

★★PRINCE CHARMING™★★ said...

How heart-warming!! How very stouthearted of him! Thank heavens God saw him through.

Anonymous said...

It Ȋ̝̊̅§ well wif ur sdoul dear

Anonymous said...

It Ȋ̝̊̅§ well wif ur soul dear*

joli said...

Thank God. Indeed God is faithful

BRIGHTINO said...

I dey fear this cancer pass HIV. Hiv prevention- abstainance,condoms and one partner. Cancer prevention-unknown. Causes- unknown. Treatment-unknown. Which kind wicked diseases be this? Sometimes I dey wish say person fit port from one sicknesss to another.so that if cancer come, I go just port enter malaria.

Anonymous said...

I just thank God for you my dear.our God is a living God.am so happy for u dea.linda,post comment oh.

Anonymous said...

God is rilly awesome!! Thank God 4 ur life bro...

Anonymous said...

Waoooh tnk God for bro*d journey of ur success is yet to come..

Anonymous said...

Thank God for you @ Vast,God has indeed proved something to you

Anonymous said...

Thank God for his mercies. I pray this terrible disease doesn't recur in you in the mighty name of Jesus. I love your courage. Fear indeed adds to what kills one slowly when ill, Being strong and hopeful has a way of pulling you thru. This is so true, difficult as it may seem, one has to try and remain positive in bad situations. Our God is ever so faithful.

Unknown said...

Your healing is permanent in Jesus's name.

Anonymous said...

mr dear Vast, u hv every cos to surrender ur life to Christ as d Arthur n Finisher of faith for he is really concerned about ur life. To him be d Glory. Linda firstooooooooooooooooo

Anonymous said...

God is faithful
Awwww thank God for you,what a testimony
Vast you should be closer to God if you werent before!God bless you

Jayboi said...

Oh I thank God for his life... Ur story is an inspiration! U r like the face of bracket, I wonder what would have happened if u didn't survive! But all glory to the Almighty!

Ogbenihoky said...

Thank God for saving his life and preserving talent.. I really like the part that you had to deal with your fear of death!

Anonymous said...

I thank God for ur life u are heal well and sound and forever u will be in Jesus name amen

Anonymous said...

Thank God for sparing his life and preserving talent.

Anonymous said...

Touching! Wish u all d best bro!

#Danjay#

Unknown said...

God is ur strength,with him all thinz are possible.but u ought to be going for regular check up cos it dosent go dat easily.

Anonymous said...

thank GOD for u o.beautylindy so u no visit

Anonymous said...

Am so happy he is fit again..thank God..mr vast I'll be anticipating good music from u cos that's wat u always do..love the temperature vid................THE DON

Anonymous said...

omg my darling brackect, thank God d storm is over ,..so hapy for u

Anonymous said...

Thanks 2 God u made it

ANYA IKENGA said...

Thank God for ur life jarre. All these sicknesses from pit of hell. I hope God will give mankind the solution one day.

Akontealabs said...

I tank God for ur health...it shall be permanent... No going back To d hospital

Anonymous said...

Thnk God 4hz lyf

Anonymous said...

God is a mghty healer.it takes a miracle to win a battle with cancer.we re glad to have you back to Ngeria.

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy 4 u oooo. God replenish u wif all the good things u must hav lost in the battle wif ur life

Anonymous said...

We really thank God!! god bless you Vast

Anonymous said...

thnk God for ur life dear...so happy for u

Anonymous said...

Thank GOD!

Anonymous said...

Bless u Vast n U r healed IJN, U r so humble n I feel humbled too. Dt u went tru dis with no nigeria promo(like we See all d time even on dis blog Linlin no vex)I will personally put U in prayer o, n 4 ur crew kiss kiss kisses dts wt partnership is about Dbanj n others pls learn..pele gan o, ndo o, stay stronger. U r healed completely IJN.
*Mee*

prince sunny said...

It is well with u my broda

Yemi said...

Thanking God 4 u! He is sure a miracle worker.

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for him. Thank u Lord

Anonymous said...

Awww tnk God for u o

Anonymous said...

Thank God 4 His love over u

Anonymous said...

Thank God you've bounced back.

-Blunt Ibo boy-

Anonymous said...

I bless God for ur life. He that has started the good work in u he is able and will surely complete it

SEXY MAMACITA said...

Awwwwww! Thank God 4 ur recovery n survival. I Love you Vast, my instinct tells me u're a nice person filled wit humility, kindness. *Kisses*

Anonymous said...

Thank God for your health. The God that started this will perfect your healing IJN. Amen

Unknown said...

Life is very precious, don't look down on anyone, don't be afraid of death bcos if you do you would die, pick up courage. All well said Bracket. Thank God U pulled through, now many can key into your testimony. God be praised.Am happy 4 U.

Biolizee said...

Happy for You Vast...May God continue. 2 Help you...

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! Thank you Jesus for this Miracle, Lord you are good! May God continue to bless and keep you!

Anonymous said...

Tnk God for saving his life! Now its lumbar puncture not lumber punch. @mystikquin

Anonymous said...

Thank God you made it. So happy for you.

Anonymous said...

Omg I cried...eyhaa,thank God u survived it,I love u soo much and cannot wait for your up coming songs:) londongal

Anonymous said...

Awww his words moved me to tears, i kept on imagining wat he went through. Much love boo, d God dat saw u tru this trying period will bless u in thousand folds. U really ve good peeps around u keep them closer.

Unknown said...

first to comment , i tanks god 4 ur life bro

ms fadeshewa said...

Awwwww I can't blive am cryn...Thank yhu Lor for sparing his lyf

Nini said...

I thank God for ur life my dear. I have a little cousin who's been recently diagnosed of leukaemia and is lying helplessly @ luth. Dey keep running tests after test and now d nurses r on strike. God help us in this country!

Anonymous said...

Thank God 4 ur life

Anonymous said...

Thank GOD you are healed..

Anonymous said...

Thank GOD you are healed..

stan said...

Linda, P-Square US/Canada Tour is underway,n I hear its a huge hit!...Kindly update us as other blogs are...Thanx.

Anonymous said...

wow...May God continue to bless him! It is not easy but with God...you will win!!!

Muny said...

Eeiya very touching n inspiring..... God is eva faithful...he wl open doors 4 u 2 recover ur money.... Success dr!

Anonymous said...

If GOD be for us who we be against us nobody. It,s well my brother I like u and p square

Anonymous said...

Am happy for u and I thank God for his healing upon your life

Anonymous said...

What an inspiring story!!
Btw, education is good o. See d way d guy wz able to narrate hz ordeal without gettin hz readerz bored.

Anonymous said...

I thank God for ur life and I want to use this opportunity to tell u to draw closer to God even more...The doctor only cures but God heals!I decree that affliction will never rise again in ur life In Jesus Victorious Name,Amen!
KOME

Anonymous said...

Vast pleassssse let me love u...I promise to be faithful and true to u.I love u so much. Bimbo

Anonymous said...

Glory to God! Congrats dear n may healing be forever lasting. While is good n great to thank God for grace n love. Is time to serve him with your whole life because is u predictable. Is those that know their God that can put him in under their feet. Praise God for his healing power.

Anonymous said...

Otito diri gi Omni everything.Amen

Anonymous said...

Lumbar Puncture, not 'punch'. they probably gave him intrathecal methotrexate. Thank God for you.

Anonymous said...

Lumbar puncture...not punch,and it is used F☺я̲̅ diagnosis...A fluid called cerebrospinal fluid is obtained during lumbar puncture

Anonymous said...

I'm happy 4 yah

shennel said...

Oh my love,tnk God u re beta now.

Anonymous said...

A friend of mine had dis same type of cancer, it was horrific. It takes the grace of God and early detection to survive. she went through exactly the same process and I remember how horrible she said it was, not to talk of the bill. Really thank God for ur life.

Anonymous said...

Your healing is permanent honey..Thank God for Life.nkesi#

Anonymous said...

I have learnt a lot from it my dear yori yori brother. Truly,neva look down on anybody u neva knew who will help u. At sm point in life,our so called friends will disappoint cos there were there 4d good times,help usually come from d least expected places*** humility all d way. Thank God u survived it! U ar stronger dan ur chanllenge. Can't wait 2hear more of ur sweet memories! Ify

Anonymous said...

Thank God your better! May God contiune to strengthen you.

Anonymous said...

I give all thanks to God 4 his divine healin and grace...u shall nt die young Vast..Remain blessed

Anonymous said...

Welcome back to life brother.
We thank God for his mercies.

Anonymous said...

To God is the Glory,tnk GOD4ur LIFE

Pearl said...

God indeed is wonderful. Blessings unlimited dear.

Ginger said...

Awwwww! I can imagine the pain u went through.thank God for the permanent healing.stay strong God is with u.

Anonymous said...

U ll continue 2 live in health.God bless u.

GlossyDee Event Service said...

Whoa I'm touched Glory b 2God in d highest for God have increased ur living on earth nd u'r healed forever amen

Anonymous said...

Thank God for healing u.its not easy for 1 to survive this kinda illness...I thank God for you..

steph said...

You are a true testimony of God's goodness,mercy and grace.

Anonymous said...

Thank God for your life.....May your healing be permanent IJN.

Anonymous said...

Eya...with God,all things are possible

Anonymous said...

I thank God for ur life

Chika Gift said...

U shall not die but live & testify d goodness of God in ur life. Tanx be 2 d almighty.

Anonymous said...

You are a survivor.

queen hadassah said...

I thank God for his life and for seeing him through his treatment. I'm also happy that his partner, CEO, manager and his family were able to support him financially without begging. We know that the treatment of Cancer anywhere in the world is expensive but he able to pull through. I pray that God will replenish him abundantly

Anonymous said...

All Praises,Honour Α̲̅πϑ Glory Belongs to Almighty God!!!Vast is a Success** CHY.

Anonymous said...

I thank God for your life. May your healing be permanent in Jesus name, amen.

Anonymous said...

May ur healing be permanent in Jesus name amen

@Ammybirch said...

Thank God for your life!

Anonymous said...

God is indeed wonderful. May your healing be permanent IJN.

Anonymous said...

I feel lik cryin ryt nw,,...Am so hapy 4 u!!!love u guyz so so much,ad wish u guyz al d best in lyf!!!smiles*

Anonymous said...

Мαу G̲̣̣̣̥Q̶̲̥̅̊D̶̲̥̅̊ continue †• Renew U̶̲̥̅̊я strenght.

Anonymous said...

Recieve divine healin now, IN JESUS NAME!!!AMEN.

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for u. God will totally heal u In Jesus Name.

Anonymous said...

Cancer is really an awful ailment..tank GOD u are better now..D lord is ur strength

Anonymous said...

Am §☺ happy for u wen ℓ̊ had u ar sick v been praying for u,ℓ̊ thank God for every tin may U̶̲̥̅̊Я healing B̶̲̥̅ε̲̣̣̣̥ pamanet in jesus name.

Anonymous said...

In the name of God who never changes,may ur healing be permanent for he heals the sickness nd the course. I declear u free from cancer or any oda ailment IN JESUS NAME AMEN!!! LINCHUK

Unknown said...

May God grant you healing

Anonymous said...

Try as much as u can to respect ur self! @ ur age abeg dey respect urself so pple no go too dey yeye u! Fucking baby mama! Agbaya oshi!

Anonymous said...

Give glory to GOD.

Anonymous said...

Pls oh, lymphoma is not cancer of d blood. Cancer of d blood is leukaemia

Anonymous said...

You are healed in Jesus name. Amen.

Anonymous said...

See how ur baby popped out her eyes cos of the blunder u just committed. She is like "am I safe?" So how then do medical doctors say cancer survivors? "He survived the treatment, the cancer we have yet to see" abeg what does that mean? Mama ifu the blunder blaster.

Anonymous said...

May you be healed in Jesus name. Amen

Anonymous said...

Mama ifu u can tlk nonsense. Thank GOD 4 u o vast

cyndy Andy said...

@ mama ifu. u should thank God for him and b happy for him and stop checking the errors. U r such a fool cos even if he said he survived cancer, he said it with faith cos with God all things r possible.one word for u 'fool'

Anonymous said...

By HIS stripes you are healed in Jesus Name. Amen.

Anonymous said...

By HIS stripes you are healed in Jesus Name. Amen.

Anonymous said...

You are healed in Jesus name. May the power and grace of our Lord be with you during this difficult time.

Anonymous said...

"bone marrow" as a procedure, "lumbar punch" abi na "lumbar puncture". Hiahn!! While I am thankful to God for the artist, his writeup shows me that he went through procedures without having any accountability for submitting himself to all those procedures. How else would you not know you had a freaking bone marrow transplant? Well, maybe the stuff affected his brain so he was not retaining information.... This is the difference between enlightened patients and the rest. Enlightened ones will interact with the doctor to the extent that they can speak medical lingo about their conditions without you knowing they are not physicians. If you are not knowledgeable about your condition and you cannot obtain the correct info from your doc, you are more likely to become a victim of poor medical choices. In other words you are not positioned to advocate for what is best for you. This is sooooo common in Nigeria. I better get off with my rant.....

Anonymous said...

He'll be healed in Jesus name. Pls take him abroad if you have the funds, the Nigeria health system is terrible.

Anonymous said...

Thank u Jesus

Anonymous said...

Instead ov yuh tankin God on his behave u r dere correctin english na u go school pass..God no let u see sickness ohh..mumu

olydex said...

Congrat dearie..The Lord is yφυr strength

T.A said...

Thank God for your life Vast. And I pray that has you have stated earlier, you have overcome this cancer in Jesus name and it shall be permanent. @ Mama Ifu and the anonymous @6:41 pm who was ranting and lecturing us about "lumbar punch" or "lumbar puncture", you both are just dumb, daft and unreasonable. If you can't just thank God for him and wish him well then just pray to be in his shoes and let's see how you handle it or react! You're both immature!

Anonymous said...

I wonder wats alws wrong wt pple! Is it d grammar or physiological term dt matters now? Did u u get d message? Guy pls ignore them,I like ur gut, u r so determined. Thank God 4 his mercy, he will heal u completely.

Sylvia said...

U r perfectly healed ijn.....

ITALIAN said...

Eeyah..., am so happy dat he came bak safely bcos is nt easy o. Is only d hand wrk of God, let us bear in mind dat dia is notin pass God. Welcum bak home broda.

Unknown said...

TNK GOD 4 UR LIFE DEAR.

Unknown said...

TNK GOD 4 UR LIFE DEAR.

peculiar said...

God we thank u for protecting and healing ur son. we ask dear God that You will perfect his healing in Jesus name. Amen. Welcome back dear.

Anonymous said...

This is really inspiring especithe " donot be afraid of death " part. I was diagnosed with tumour of the thyroid, and I testify that the waiting time for the biopsy result was the most difficult part, I now know that the fear of death is the worst fear. Though fortunately mine wasn't cancer but that was a trying time for me as I got to appreciate God and his gift of life.

Recent Posts