The Best Grilled Chicken You'll Ever Have...the experience of a Naijafoodie | Welcome to Linda Ikeji's Blog

LI_Leaderboard_4

LI_Leaderboard_1

LI_Leaderboard_2

LI_Leaderboard_3

Friday 6 June 2014

The Best Grilled Chicken You'll Ever Have...the experience of a Naijafoodie

This article was NOT written by me, Linda. It's from a Naijafoodie recommending Jamal's Grilled Chicken. Read below...
So naturally when my cousin, Bola, told me about what in her opinion is “Naija's' most deliciously grilled chicken suya" I took it with a pinch of salt. Why? Because she easily gets impressed and she hasn't been around like me; food-wise. In my opinion the best grilled chicken I have ever had was at the Las Olas Grill in Buenos Aires, Argentina.  And in Abuja no grilled chicken beats Yahuza's' chicken suya or the Asokoro joint.  However, my curiosity got the best of me and I decided to find out for myself. As they saying go, the taste of the chicken is in the eating. Continue...



On my last business trip to Abuja I decided to see and taste for myself. I took time out from my schedule and asked my cousin, Bola, to come pick me up and take me to have a taste of this so called best kept secret. I had intentionally avoided the buffet at the Transcorp Hilton Hotel, where I stayed, so that it doesn’t interfere with my appetite. The grilled chicken, called JamaI's Chicken, I was dutifully informed is a meal all by itself. I equally convinced my girlfriend, Benedicta, who was also visiting Abuja at the time from Port Harcourt to join me in the evening.

We drove for about 5 minutes until we arrived outside Jamal's Chicken Hut. It is sort of a hidden suya joint. But trust me, it’s worth finding. It is not a restaurant or a hut per se as the name implies but rather an open space sheltered by a canopy. It is located somewhere in the Wuse 2 area within the premises of an apartment building. I was told that the grill-master works as a cook in one of the flats in the building and together with his employer's wife cater for events. I also noticed a lot of other upwardly mobile young people waiting to pick up their grilled chicken too. It is a coded ABJ grilled chicken affair I thought to myself. The few that know about it don't share with the majority that don't.





The grilled chicken is prepared on a charcoal fired grill. Seating is outdoor but there's' rarely space because only 4 chairs are available. It’s probably best you order to takeaway but if you are not time-pressed for anything then I advise you order and eat in your car while chillaxing.

We ordered 2 fullchickens.  The order arrived wrapped in aluminium foil and accompanied by side onions with a very hot and spicy pepper. Benedicta and I collected the “Aboki” suya-master’s number and I promised that I would write about my grilled chicken experience when I returned to Lagos; be it good or bad.  


If these pictures looks tantalizing to you, we can assure you it tasted out of this world! For the chicken I have this to say: they’re marinated, they’re spicy and they are MEATY! The chicken is certainly not anorexic.  Their secret recipe marinade is made from all natural ingredients and infused with a blend of herbs and spices. Jamal’s grilled chicken is exceptionally seasoned and perfectly prepared. Smoky, succulent, tender and finger-licking fabulous – they have a nice kick to them – so buyer beware, you WILL be addicted!

The flavor of chicken is similar to the "malam style" grilled chicken popular in most part of the North BUT with a hint of some sort  of spice combination slightly similar to the South African seasoning you will find at Nando’s; think Nando's but multiply the deliciousness and juiciness by 100!  It was exceptional as the chicken was tender and full of flavour! It was also so, so succulently excellently tangy and mouth-watering. The spice mix is out of this world. And as a whole chicken sells for N2000 and half chicken sells for N1000 it is very reasonably priced too; considering most grilled or roasted chicken Suya parts in Abuja go for N600 apiece. We savoured every bite of it. Mmm! It was finger licking good and we wished we had ordered more!

Now back to my narrative. The following day we called back the master griller and placed orders to take back to our friends and families in Lagos and Port Harcourt respectively. We wanted to share with them our grilled chicken experience and also know what they think about the flavours. My husband had this to say when crushing meat and bone; "Chai! Chai! WetinAboki wash put for inside chicken. The best grilled chicken I have ever had!" And he should know, his love for chicken suya dates back to the mid ‘80s!

As a self- appointed Jamal’s Chicken Hut Ambassador I would like to plead to all grilled chicken disciples/lovers and fellow LIBers out there to share the link to this article via the various social media platforms out there;  Twitter, BBM broadcast, Whatsapp, Google+, Facebook etc. Help spread the grilled chicken gospel and share the love! Cheers!

JAMAL’S GRILLED CHICKEN WILL BE AT THE UPCOMING @ DMPEVENT, ABUJA
If you would like to have a taste of Jamal's Grilled Chicken you can do so at the upcoming Designer Market Place (DMP) event in Abuja on the 7th of June at the City Park, Wuse 2. 
Jamal's Chicken is in the process of opening a proper grilled chicken joint. Therefore you may wish to add them on BBM PIN 25B8266E or follow twitter handle @JamalsChickento receive updates on upcoming BBQ events, special offers and promotions.
BBM PIN: 25B8266E           
·         Incase you add on BBM and it stays pending for a long time. Kindly re-invite again.

66 comments:

Urbane Hanger said...

I wish I can print out that Chicken for breakfast. hehe

CLASSIC BROGUE SHOES

Unknown said...

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said...
.
I will like to marry frm that family.... I dey pity vegetariansi swear....
.
.
***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

Peejay said...

Ok, now you've made me hungry.

Anonymous said...

The price is reasonable , over to those in Abuja. Bimpe

DOBY DOBY said...

Na so nah.. Lwkmd@ d spics mix is out of dis world. . Odikwa egwu. . Nice write up shaa cos if im in abj wuld av gone to av a taste of d perfectly grilled chicken.

Angie said...

Linda why are you this wicked?
I salivated all thru the article and still salivating as I'm writing this....


* My R1.50c comment *

Unknown said...

Linda dis kind moni...... chaiiiii
looks sumptous... hpe it tastes soooooo

Amarachukwu. said...

long tin..seen

Unknown said...

Dats very gud o

Unknown said...

My type of suya but I luv it very dry

Anonymous said...

Linda, are u implying that u put up this post for free????

Sylvia said...

Na wa! Wat a story just for chicken.. Am so wishing I could be in abuja nd run down to d mallam's table....hmmmmmmmmm,is someone out dia who would buy me a ticket to abj frm pH?? I wanna be at d mallam's table ooooooo. Add me up,no be joke 24d3c49c

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...... Nice one. I love it grilled too.



CoolDiva speaks!

Unknown said...

Hmmmm!!! Odikwa egwu!

Unknown said...

Luks lyk human meat!


Anonymous: keep off



#Pesty

Anonymous said...

linda!!! the super, duper, hyper.


via official intercom

Unknown said...

Woww..And the title of this very long composition is 'My best chicken experience'.Still surprised how this made news.

~IG:Jessiliciousjes~

Mr_SouL Get Naija Twitter/IG followers/7AB109CB said...

Linda u are wicked, why post dis kind thing now way hunger der wire me voraciously...*swallows spidt*

Lady kim kim said...

Salivating bt abuja is far mehn!

JOYCHY said...

NOTED

Fola said...

Nice advert. D guy sabi talk, I read till d end.

Anonymous said...

ummm.Why did you have to post this when i never chop this morning!!!!

Anonymous said...

ummm.Why did you have to post this when i never chop this morning!!!!

Anonymous said...

Madam your story makes no sense to me,since you have their number call them to get a comprehensive address or at least drop the number here so we can reach them to get proper description to the place...Wuse 2 is big so i'll just keep driving around n asking people if they know Jamals suya joint? Doesn't make sense especially with the level of insecurities in abuja now...Also not all of us in abuja go to parks again this days because of the fear of Boko....So if you ain't sharing the number or address i'll gladly stick to my asokoro or maitama suya at Gana street thank you.

yetunde said...

Its nt fair,dey shld come to lagos nw,I want to taste it too.

Anonymous said...

so linda, grilled chicken in abuja is now news? i hope you are being paid for advertising?

Anonymous said...

Ok. I really hate Abuja peo right now. See what we're missing. *hot tears*

Enigma said...

choi, Linda! u go like food, so u know Asokoro joint and Jamals grilled chicken. well, those are truly the best suya place in abuja.

i-spit said...

Well hello calories!!! Whaarido phat bitches in the house!!!

Anonymous said...

interesting! adverts takin a new direction..oga chicken ambasador, pls wil u tak me along wen next u goin..plss!
stylecast OAU

Unknown said...

Soooo...it's not in Lagos?

Anonymous said...

LIN LIN I DEY OFFICE AND I NEVER CHOP OO. OYA BUY THIS CHICKEN FOR ME. LOVE GRILLED CHICKEN. #PICCANTO#

Unknown said...

Won kan n je ki chicken yi wu mi je ni ah

Chuka said...

Abeg we need am for lagos oh...

Anonymous said...

My girlfriend then my husband? How many people are narrating abeg..

Unknown said...

Linda pls am in class n has not eaten! This pix just erupted all the hydrochloric acid n am salivating! Can't wait to check it out #abjonmymind#

Anonymous said...

Lindodo smart u. E be like say u de take style advertize ur biz. Anyhw...wl try it out...me really like grill. Tx for d Ad. Gny.....

bizzy bright said...

Hmmm av not tasted it av started feeling the the taste already. I think it will taste great.

Unknown said...

Hummm mouth watering

Bbg Eze said...

Wud really love 2have a taste of ds Jamal Chicken........too bad I reside in Lagos. Or is der any provision 4doz in lag?

BONARIO NNAGS said...

Looolz am salivating already.
My place has been Chicken village,maybe imma try this one.

~BONARIO~says so via NOKIA LUMIA

EbonyAma said...

I am a vegetarian, so I don't need dis.

@KweenAwo said...

Today is the year's middle day. We have completed 183 days and we still have 183 days. So, have"A happy half year, hope 2 see u @ d end of the remaining 183." Hope i am the only one to wish you this unique wish !:* send this to all ur contacts if u wish to see them next year! But send to me first...

Anonymous said...

I'll def check this spot out. BTW I thought Nandos was Portugese chops and not South African. Just asking

Anonymous said...

We nid a branch in lagos plsss ma mouth is so watery choi!

Anonymous said...

Linda u sure say u buy any of dese meats @ all??? Dis 1 wey u dey advertise lyk dis wit full details, m sure d guy gav u d grilled chickens for free

fikky babe said...

As in. So not interested.


Anonymous said...

What's the address lets even see if this one is sweeter than the grilled chicken sold near bamboo restaurant on usuma street maitama.

Anonymous said...

hiss. Who cares if its not in Lagos

Anonymous said...

OK, i hear, still love my buffalo wings, yummy

Chikaka said...

Anon June 6, 2014 at 12:10 PM; you are right.

"Nando's is a South African casual dining restaurant group originating from the Mozambican–Portuguese community with a Portuguese/Mozambiquan theme."

APPLE said...

I wish it was in Lagos, this way when i visit homeland i for go taste am :)

Unknown said...

am hungry



BORN TO SHINE!!!

Anonymous said...

yes i know the chicken very sumptuous.

Anonymous said...

My dear....u can say dat again. See as water full my mouth..#smackslips...swallows#

Unknown said...

Yummy....

Unknown said...

Linda send me one o

Anonymous said...

THE CREATORS OF THIS ABOKI CHICKEN ARE GREAT MARKETERS SE HOW THEY HAVE INDIRECTLY MARKETED THEIR PRODUCT PRETENDING THEY ARE SOMEONE ELSE

Anonymous said...

Linda, this looks good. Hook a sister up.

Anonymous said...

CHEI!,WOW,WOWED,WHOA & NA WA O O! I never knew food to look this good,taste this good(according to those that tried it) and be dangerously SEXY !

Anonymous said...

My dear,
That is impossible.

Anonymous said...

mehn i went dere today see fight for chicken, linda u sure did sme marketing fr dese pple

Anonymous said...

I had this chicken today but didn't get the taste I expected. However, a friend had same and was impressed.

Anonymous said...

Wishing I can be in Abj now.Counting already cos I will be in abj

Anonymous said...

I shd b sure . Gud money was paid 4 did advert!

Khemmee said...

Hmmmmm. Wot an advert. Brilliant & creative. Nice job!

Recent Posts