Chude Jideonwo: Why today - and President Buhari - made me cry | Welcome to Linda Ikeji's Blog

LI_Leaderboard_4

LI_Leaderboard_1

LI_Leaderboard_2

LI_Leaderboard_3

Friday 29 May 2015

Chude Jideonwo: Why today - and President Buhari - made me cry

Article written by media entrepreneur and Future Awards co-founder, Chude Jideonwo. Read below..
This morning, my team member, Oluwatobi Soyombo and I sat in the office, and discharged our final responsibility to the Buhari Campaign Organisation – we changed the bio of the Muhammadu Buhari account across Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and everywhere else to ‘President of Nigeria’. I asked Tobi for the privilege to do this myself, with my own hands. Then, as he looked at me, shocked, the tears began to follow. After sending out the tweet for the new president of Nigeria (personal tweets from him are signed –MB), I took to my own private account and shared: ‘@MBuhari better not disappoint us. This is too important. This is too important’.
My team and I were offered the job to handle the communication for the Buhari campaign in November 2014. I couldn’t believe it. We had never been close to the All Progressives Congress; I had never even met Buhari. Even the ‘closer’ Tinubu, I have not met since that time in 2002 when I served him tea as a production assistant at the Nigerian Television Authority.
I had a few weeks before declined a meet to discuss youth communication for the Goodluck Jonathan campaignbecause I no longer had any faith in his leadership, but I was almost certain he was going to win anyway. 
In May 2014, I had arrived Abuja to speak at a #BringBackOurGirls event. But I had hardly left the airport, when someone high up in the government called me: “If I see you up on that stage with Oby (Ezekwesili), you are finished in this country.”
So, I wondered, was it wise to finally set up enmity with the government for the next four years by working directly for its opposition?
All through the time my co-founder, Adebola Williams worked hard with the team of Uche Nnaji (OUCH) and Kelechi Amadi-Obi to shoot the photographs that redefined Buhari’s image, all through the period the team was assembled from Tobi to Alex Yangs to Kathleen Ndongmo, I couldn’t move. I was transfixed in fear, in hope that dared not speak. Could Nigerians actually unseat a seating President from the People’s Democratic Party? 
I wondered if the rage I felt was worth the sacrifice I was about to make – putting my life, my relationships and my business on the line in a country where the biggest advise our richest man has given entepreneurs is ‘never fight with the government of the day’?
All of that is history now. What looked like a mirage then has become reality. The job became a mission. After four months of the most emotional campaign in my lifetime, sleepless nights at the StateCraft Inc headquarters, from the campaign office in Abuja, supervising the setting up of billboards, fighting TV stations that didn’t want to air our ‘Is This Transformation?’ promos, Adebola following the candidate around the country, and rewriting speeches in the dead of the night because the candidate knew exactly what he wanted to say, we are here now. Nigerians have unseated a 16-year monopoly. 
So, this morning, I shared a story on my Instagram pagethat I haven’t spoken about in public before. 

In 2013, six of us friends including Adebola Williams, ‘Yemi Adamolekun, ‘Gbenga Sesan and Kola Oyeneyin came together and decided that, beyond mobilising citizens, leading protests and using the media to drive conversation, Nigeria needed our passionate, sustained prayers. A year before, after our active involvement with #OccupyNigeria, and the events after, we were beyond disillusioned.
And so, every Saturday morning, we went from the houses and offices of one to the other and we would cry, and we would scream, and we would pray for country. Ah, we prayed. Nigeria’s future looked so bleak. It looked so dark, didn’t see any logical pathway to change. So we went to God with our hearts, we went to him with our disappointment; we went to him with our pain. We asked him, “What should we do? How should we do it?”
One day, as we prayed, in an office on the Lagos Island, I was so overwhelmed with despair I fell down on the floor and began to speak in frenzied tongues, tears streaming from my face, banging furiously on the cabinet in front me. My heart was desperate; just desperate for something to give way. 
I didn’t know my friend, Kola, had the gift to interprete tongues. But then he began to interpret what I was saying. And it frightened me, because he was absolutely right. He captured the fears in my heart, and the requests I was making. He said, paraphrased, ‘God says He will change Nigeria. It looks like it won’t happen, but He will do a new thing and it will spring forth. We won’t understand how He will do it, but He will.”
Two years later, God has kept his promise. 
I do not know what the future holds. I cannot even say with certainty that this new dispensation will fulfil the promises it made to us when it called us on board and to you when it asked you to vote.
But I know one thing: I spent the past four years giving the Jonathan government the benefit of the doubt, willing it to succeed. Yet each time it failed, I was on the street, passionately denouncing it. And when, finally, after the Chibok girls went missing, I lost hope in it, I put everything on the line to join Nigerians in punishing it. 
Things have changed.
I have invested faith that Buhari will be different, not just because he is a new president today, but because I have been priviledged to sit in the same space with him, I have listened very carefully to his wisdom and his depth. I have counted the cost and I have overwhelmed faith that he is the leader we need. 
But we, and he thankfully, know this: he cannot play with our future. He cannot play with the future of our children.
We have cried for this nation, because it has failed us too many times. We have worked our fingers to the bones, and our ‘bloods’ have boiled because we believe in its potential. Therefore, our tempers will be short, our forgiveness will be costly, our reactions to real and perceived failures will be swift.
Our hearts our broken, our spirits burdened. We desperately need the promised change, and we need it to start immediately. 
 Nigeria has suffered enough.
*Jideonwo is managing partner of Red Media Africa, ‘the media group to reach and inspire the largest number of African youth at any time’. One of its companies, StateCraft Inc, was official communication agency to the Buhari Presidential Campaign 

95 comments:

Davido's driver said...

Nice piece. Kudos

Davido's driver said...

Will read later... Driving from eagle square to lagos

Alloy Chikezie said...

After 4 years will see if He's the change we've been shouting.

Your comment will be visible after approval

Unknown said...

Yop. Nice

Unknown said...

I cnt finish dis. Even if recharge card is hidden inside.

Unknown said...

Very interesting

Unknown said...

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said..
.
Many article still on the line no doubt....
.
.
***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

Anonymous said...

Kwkmd_naija aka Davido's driver, ur condition is helpless.

Yinka said...

Lol

Unknown said...

Ok

Unknown said...

Chude just spoke my mind. I earnestly pray and hope that he would not let the hope of millions of Nigerians down.

He has the requisite experience, knowledge and passion to deliver the much evasive dividends of democracy

Unknown said...

Buhari, just promised.
Give nigerians 24 hrs electricity in 6 months.
Bring down the price of dollar to one naira in 3 months.
No stories. No lies. No excuses.

Anonymous said...

Lmao

ANIFOWOSHE said...

Linda, I see no reason why u find it sooooo difficult to publish my comments over a year!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Linda, thanks alot for bringing today swearing in of d President, and other Governor's to us via ur post's. God bless u abundantly, and enlarge ur coast.

GEJ, thank u for doing what u could for this country, for conceding defeat, and giving us peace. May God tak u frm grace to grace.

GMB, and other newly sworn in Governor's, congrats, and I wish all of u d very best during ur tenure's in office. I pray u meet, and exceed d expectations of Nigerians.

My fellow LIB reader's, as we experience dis change of leadership's, so shall we experience d needed changes in our individual lives.

Shalom! Shalom!! Shalom!!!

Anonymous said...

Chude how much were u paid? The bring back our girls campaign is it over now? We are waiting for u and Oby ooo

Unknown said...

When GEJ came on board, we were all with high hopes and four years later it was a different story altogether. I'll wait till the end of his tenure before I can say anything on his performance.

Unknown said...

Wow! N I pray God guides our new president tru!

Unknown said...

I'm coming

90 year old woman who donated N1m life savings to Buhari spotted at inauguration ground today(SEE HERE)

cheiress said...

Its your eye water.....feel free dude.

Anonymous said...

Wow,..,thank God that regime is over and we look forward to better things and great change! Thank you Jesus

Unknown said...

The piece shows that Nigerians are good people in dire need of a good leader to shepherd us to the promised land...I have strong feeling that Buhari meant well and will do well for Nigeria.
GEJ meant well but did not well for Nigeria.
Kudos to Jude for thought-provoking piece.The lesson from his piece is that "Always do the right thing even if it is not popular at the moment.

Anonymous said...

Nice one.....

Anonymous said...

Hahahahaha! Prisca Ginika (6.44PM) will not finish me with laughter ooo! "I cnt finish dis. Even if recharge card is hidden inside". Oh boy, can you imagine? Recharge card? But seriously, is this a joke or is it that our younger folks can't read these days? Great article, by the way....

Eagle Eyes Media said...

So help us God! We've been through a lot.

Anonymous said...

Lol Prisca, so funny.

Anonymous said...

This is perhaps our last chance to mover forward as a nation.There is so much riding on this.Regardless of what political party one belongs to,this is the moment to join hands together and propel the nation to greater heights.Great article but the speaking in tongue thing and its interpretation?Naaaa,I`m buying that crap

@MEETD®EALEVANS™ said...

PARENTAL ADVISORY!!!
***adult content***



U an idiot, d stupid youth of today, how did u read DAT within a minute

Orevaoghene said...

Read it! Nice one bro

Unknown said...

I can actually relate to dis write up nd I believe God Almighty will take charge in dis new administration. I really do believe.

lorlar said...

Very very inspiring. It is good to pray for Nigeria. It is the will of God.

AQO said...

U missed then. Excellent piece! Let's take each day 2 pray 4 Nigeria as we pray 4 ourselves. It is well.









Jesus is Lord.

Elle said...

Pls try and finish it, this concerns everyone, he has just spoken what is on everyone's lips and hearts

Unknown said...

*just as u promised

CHUKS said...

Guy go siddon abeg
all of una don dey position una sef

Unknown said...

He better not disappoint us....the people want
change and change they MUST get....

amazeballs said...

Wow! nice piece............i pray Buhari's tenure will bring in positive change we so much need.

Baby girl said...

Pple ffg u frm ur village will nt leave u..@davido's goat

Baby girl said...

Dirty liar

Unknown said...

@Prisca, so rech card is ur weakness. Lol

knowurway.com said...

A special thanks to your exellency fmer Governor Of River State. Hon Rotimi Amaechi, u are truly a man of courage. May God continue to strengthen GMB and Yemi Osinbajo, to lead Nigeria. Today is the day Nigerians has been waiting for it is true today is a great day to all Nigerians, I also want to thank the CEO Linda ikeji's blog, for job well done for giving us news update in all over Nigeria during the election period... A especial thanks to your execllency the LIBers senate president Bonario Nnags Via Nokia Lu, and honorable members in the house Temilola ogunleye, Ogundiran Oyindamola, Christie benjamin, Oge mary, Chemmy walata, Igwe adaobi, Slimy, AbokiDawarriboy, Cee Speaks, Chisom ike, @lwkmd, Juliet lwuno linda take note. Lol, emik marian, and the rest of LIBers here who support and vote for APC, I love ur courage as u all stand for what is right for our great country Nigeria. Keep it up and don't give up. Because I believe as we continue to speak one voice together with faith Nigeria must be better again to we and our children to leave and please always remember to pray for Nigeria and may God continue to bless Nigeria and all LIBers in jesus mighty name. Amen! Long live LIBers. Long live federal republic of Nigeria. Peace out to u all. one love ({})

Unknown said...

Hopefully, Buhari doesn't fail us. It is well.

KriZo 01 said...

If that can make u cry, what will u do if u find out another man is focking ur wife? Ewu gambia

Anonymous said...

chude you cry all the time anyway...no news there!

Anonymous said...

Deep insight from Chude....

Unknown said...

If all you wrote is true, if God really said He will do it, then maybe I can begin to hope because honestly, I've been indifferent and skeptical. Not bc I don't trust in Buhari, but bc I don't trust Nigerian politicians to corperate with him in the same way they refused to corperate with GEJ. Only time will tell

Seno said...

With your mother's effort/prayers and your personal determination right from childhood, I know you will go far. Weldone Chude.

Unknown said...

Lovely n interesting piece

Anonymous said...

Everyone that is spiritually alive and sensitive knows that the emergence of this new administration is by divine orchestration. The finger of God, and an answer to many years of sincere and hearty cry of downtrodden Nigerians. It is one thing for God to call a man to service, it is up to the man to fulfil the calling. I pray that the Buhari/Osinbajo government will not fail in this calling. They will not fail God and Nigerians. God bless and prosper Nigeria, and turn our years mourning into dancing... Amen.

Unknown said...

So U watched TRANSFORMATION frm afar, givin it d benefit of doubt but jumped on d CHANGE train?
SOMETHING DSNT ADD UP

Unknown said...

Nice piece. We just hope GMB and his crew don't get to disappoint us.








Busy Fingers.

Unknown said...

..... Or should I say
THE GRAVY TRAIN

Unknown said...

One thing is sure
afta walking d corridors of power in ya 30s, u'll be on easy street d rest of ya life
just ask reno omokri

Unknown said...

Irabo, well done. You gat plenty sense. God bless Nigeria! Linda take note!

Anonymous said...

I usually don't comment but I have to today, chude still same passion u had when u contested for d postof information way in mayflower. D drive and all is still there. Keep it up. Nice write up am proud to be an ex may

Pidgin Mistress said...

Well said irabo *take a hug*

Pidgin Mistress said...

Lol, take heart dear, don't worry d change go reach ur side this time. Sai Linda ikeji

Anonymous said...

Na sit down dey look we dey.his time starts today to tick.

Anonymous said...

Every idiot can write any rubbish

The Therapist said...

Don't be lazy

ANYA IKENGA said...

Crook paid for a job said he was crying? Ever heard of crocodile tears? Lazy man. Wait till u are spoon fed by a government.

The Therapist said...

We need your type in Nigeria sir keep working for the good of the nation

Unknown said...

That's my team! I'm hopeful too.... Fela Durotoye's dream is coming to...

Unknown said...

Dis is touchin!!!all eyes fixed on buhari...

NaijaDeltaBabe said...

Welcome to a new Nigeria

Anonymous said...

May God complete what He has started in a wonderful way.

Anonymous said...

Our emotions overwhelm us so much sometime so its natural to shed tears. Tears dont move or change Jack.

It is a natural given wish of every tom, dick and harry that the new President take Nigeria as a nation from point point A to point B. I have not seen anyone who does not want this but.....there is a VERY BIG 'BUT'.....a very big one!

Given the dept of institutionalize and systemic rot, what parameters, what semblance of change, what can l see that give the practical hope(not hope in the sentimental sense) that taking the nation from point A to point B will happen in 4 yrs or even in 40 years....beyond the persona and aura of the new President? What?

My answer to the above is NONE. Persona, cries and aura Don't change stuff. So you ask, what will change 'stuff'?

Without dwelling into into how we got to this state and discussing the grand contradiction and conspiracy that is Nigeria: the tvs, radios, blogs, newspapers, magazines and their endless and often egghead public affairs analysts cum public commentators (gosh!) have too over analyze the problems of this nation (as if you decree corruption out of existence by banishing it with your mouth...we need to fight corruption, he must deal with corrupt people, corruption must be dealt with...)

Here is the answer:

let the real work now begin. The talk is enough. Please stop the talk. He do...Show us something else on tv...no more public affairs commentators pls. let the work begin. let the work start. let us go!.

Talk is so, so cheap.

Anonymous said...

This guy is gay.

Unknown said...

Lmao! This one pass essay jare...

oscar said...

After reading this...I had to kneel down and pray...Nigeria needs more of that now,let this new era be grounded and founded in our prayers...Nigeria would be great again..and it begins today with you reading this. CHANGE is here.

Unknown said...

Wow! I always wondered about the team behind GMB. You all did us proud. God bless you all. You played a great part in making Nigeria great again. God bless you.

Anonymous said...

BAD BELLE, shame to u.

Olamide Jnr. said...

A very touchy article....I am a youth and i do read...the old ones always thinking they are smarter than the new generation.

Anonymous said...

Yes excenllent write up. An I join you in hoping..Dat been said when will Nigerians understand that dia are three arms of govermnet and d president controls only one arm.. so even if he has a good vision for the country if the other Nigerian citizens that make up the other arms are not ready to function the govt of the day will still look bad. Our biggest problem in Nigeria is our legislators, we are suppose to be more careful with the kind of ppl we elect as our law makers.because this arm of government alone can frustrate the efforts of the presidend and turn a good agenda into chambule. And as Nigeria has it lots of them are just Bench warmers cancarwarms just ready to infest and eat up the treasury of the country. This is the time for ppl like you Mr writter to mobilize youths to protest or write open letters for the salaries of these legislators to be reduced because there function is insignificant to the collective good of the country. How much are doctors being paid? Lectures, these are ppl dat actually affect lives. Buhari might promise heaven and earth plan for Nigeria to be paradise. He and we better pray they cooperate with him ....selfish rebellious citizen

Anonymous said...

Chude or wat ever ur name is...ppl like you is d reason y Nigeria is still wer it is today...go get a live if u lack one and stop looking for firm.

Anonymous said...

When GEJ came on board, we were all with high hopes and four years later it was a different story altogether. I'll wait till the end of his tenure before I can say anything on his performance.Nigerians can draw a conclusion too early and easily about our these so-called politicians. This is why they felt highly disappointed and frustrated if at the end of the day nothing happened. Based on performances not on sentiment.

Meee said...

Insightful!

Anonymous said...

Uche nnaji would be acting like OUCH is LV

Anonymous said...

Uche nnaji be acting like OUCH is LV

Anonymous said...

Just laughing because I know d kola he is talking about. Don't fake God. God spoke to...

Unknown said...

Irabo, finally we succeeded!

Anonymous said...

neither is he selling it....believe it or leave it

Anonymous said...

It's called fame, thank me later Otule nsi, yet u want to insult ppl here

Anonymous said...

Could dis guy be a faggot?

Anonymous said...

Fuck off poor fool

Anonymous said...

His husband u mean...dude behaves like a faggot

Anonymous said...

Fuck off poor fool

Unknown said...

Nigeria shall be great again. Amen.

Subomi said...

have faith, stay hopeful, stay positive

Anonymous said...

No Vincent,I didn't have any hopes from GEJ.I wish he had done well but I wasn't surprised at his failure.

What surprised me and which I'm yet to get over,Is the extent of the damage done

Unknown said...

I read every bit and i share in your aspirations. I pray and hope for a better Nigeria.

Rubylicious said...

Only if the Nigerian youth will imbibe the reading culture, it will go a long way in our enlightenment. This is a wonderful piece, I got teary eyed at some point.

Anonymous said...

This is rubbish. Jude or wetin, you are one of the pple that deceive Nigerians as a fake youth. You never see sufferness and u re one of those that embezzle Nigerias fund during GEJ days (dats why u re threaten and hiding ur face), becareful ooo, because records has it against you. And, you Linda Ikeja, I am dissappointed that you are associated with this fool, looking for fame in d new administration ( he just used u). Linda, remember where God took you from just blogging to world stars, so dont play with his pple. We are taking notes. Yemi is my name, see you later

Anonymous said...

Till the legislators release their loot, through notorious salaries and clandestine constituency project finance, I have no hope in the change mantra. Till ministers and the executive stop accruing wasteful budgets to themselves and their families, I have no hope. Till people who are not elected govt officials stop receiving visiting presidents at d airports, I have no hope. Till the judiciary is independent, I have no hope. Till the efcc stops reading the body language of the president before knowing those to go for and those to free of all charges, I have no hope. Till top civil servants along with their organisations accountants and directors,stop embezzling the money belonging to their staff and organisations, I have no hope. so forgive me for not crying like jideonwu and others, who must have been obviously very well paid for the deft change scam they just pulled on the nation, but iam not impressed at all.

Anonymous said...

Chude and Debola are exactly what is wrong with Nigeria. They chop from any government in power and when it becomes inconvenient, they clean mouth and on to the next one. Let them discuss all the contracts they got under the Jonathan administration including the YouWiN project. Millions and Millions of naira they collected and now they are forming holier than thou....abe park well jare and enjoy your loot.

Recent Posts