I'm hoping that one day I'll fully transition into the woman that I was actually meant to be" Nigerian transgender woman | Welcome to Linda Ikeji's Blog

LI_Leaderboard_4

LI_Leaderboard_1

LI_Leaderboard_2

LI_Leaderboard_3

Friday 30 September 2016

I'm hoping that one day I'll fully transition into the woman that I was actually meant to be" Nigerian transgender woman

Vera, a transgender woman who was born Charles Austin Nlewedum, recently spoke to the LGBTIQ  website NoStringsNG about her life and struggles in Nigeria. Read her story below:
"I am Charles Austin Nlewedum living in Nigeria. I am a transgender woman. My trans name is Vera, and I was assigned male at birth. I am trained in physiotherapy. My friends know that I am a transgender woman, but my family does not know, as I fear they will disown me if I tell them.

Childhood
While growing up, I felt different from the sex that was assigned to me at birth. I felt like a woman. My expressions mirrored a typical reflection of what society describes as a woman. Because of this and the stereotype associated with male homosexuality, many see me as gay, but I have always seen myself as a woman.
 
Experience with the LGBT community, friends and other people
I have experienced  a lot of abuses from people. I have been attacked, beaten and tortured. I was raped at age 15, and I have been living a fake life here in Nigeria as a man while I actually feel like a woman inside.
My experience with the gay community has been mixed; I have been partially accepted. Many still struggle with accepting that I am transgender.
When I came out to most of my friends, many rejected me, as I guess it was difficult and complicated for them to deal with. Ever since then, I have been living what I can describe as a fake life. Sometimes I will have to pretend that I am gay, just to fit in, whereas I know that I am a straight woman who loves men.
 
Emotional struggles
This has affected and limited me in so many ways, because I can’t express myself completely as according to the way I actually feel.  Sometimes I feel like trying on some female shoes, make my hair, and do my make up, but this is hard, because of what people will say, and possibly the reaction it will provoke from people who do not understand me.
At some point in my life, I became very miserable, and attempted suicide twice.
 
Hopes
I am hoping that one day I will fully transition into the woman that I was actually meant to be. I do not want to live a fake life anymore. I want to engage in activities that reflect who I really am inside. I feel completely tortured.
I want to go to a place where I will be accepted as me, where I can actually make my inside match my outside. I want to be me. I want to be Vera.
 

44 comments:

Unknown said...

Before dat wil happen cancer of d anus must hv visited u

Unknown said...

Good for her

Anonymous said...

You can dress like a woman na...see bobrisky...and he is owning it.You can also relocate to where it is acceptable to be transgender.simple

Anonymous said...

You can dress like a woman na...see bobrisky...and he is owning it.You can also relocate to where it is acceptable to be transgender.simple

Unknown said...

Ew another yoruba born by mistake.
So this one na some ones son huh?
WHAT FREEBORN WAN ASK IS THIS!: DID GOD MAKE A MISTAKE BY CREATING u a GUY HUH? ARE U GUYS MOCKING GOD HUH?
i am not against gay or transcend because they have their life to live but all am trying to say is that,you must not go through knife to prove some thing na.
FREEBORN WEPT FOR THESE GENERATIONS OF VIPERS




















#sad indeed

Unknown said...

Ew another yoruba born by mistake.
So this one na some ones son huh?
So this one na some one husband to be huh?
WHAT FREEBORN WAN ASK IS THIS!: DID GOD MAKE A MISTAKE BY CREATING u a GUY HUH? ARE U GUYS MOCKING GOD HUH?
i am not against gay or transcend because they have their life to live but all am trying to say is that,you must not go through knife to prove some thing na.
FREEBORN WEPT FOR THESE GENERATIONS OF VIPERS




















#sad indeed

Unknown said...

Is this one news? Just passing jejely

Unknown said...

I ain't Judy so I ain't gonna jude u, man.

Mr 47 said...

#PourSpit‎

Unknown said...

Such an idiot!

Unknown said...

I ain't Judy so I ain't gonna judge you, man.

Anonymous said...

fuck u linda,i wonder why u keep posting transgender stories.oloshi

OSINANL said...

RUBBISH... TRY IT AND DIE

Unknown said...

Disgusting

Unknown said...

Nonsense! Linda take note!

Anonymous said...

When you allow the devil into ur home.

NaijaDeltaBabe said...

Na him sabi


...merited happiness

Chizzy Liz said...

*****************************now dix ix completely crazy...... I have given up on d world *******

Chizzy Liz said...

*****************************now dix ix completely crazy...... I have given up on d world *******

Unknown said...

This dolt is as confused as that individual ruling Nigeria at the moment, your place is in abyss.


#GrachiDynasty

Anonymous said...

Where are d Igbo bigots here?! Later they will say transgender is only associated wit Yorubas. There goes ur brother fools! Waiting to see more lyk him, hahaha

baba said...

Me too

Unknown said...

Just slide abeg.

Unknown said...

Thunder weh how fire you still deh Sambiser forest deh fight Boko Haram.Complex fool.Nobe only woman.Idiot.Rather than for you to be proud of whom God the Omnipotent creator made you to be, uou are busy trying to re-creat yourself.Come practise that nonsense for Nigeria and am sure that jail awaits you.Stinking piece of shit.You have tried to commit suicide twice, it's very simple, let me teach you how to try for the third time and am very sure it will work perfectly, locate any supermarket or should very close to you, but a full bottle of Bleach or jik, pour in a clean cup and mix with just half cup of Shaving powder.I can guarantee your death after that.I will await hour Burial Poster afterwards. Try this now and am sure you must get a befitting result in hell.

Unknown said...

ode
-D great anonymous now as Vivian Reginalds

Eddy Ogbunambala said...

Good luck with your transition

Anonymous said...

This brother is not well...

Anonymous said...

Linda please stop giving this people attention, they're the reason God is unhappy with the earth. All these disasters are happening because of these their act. Remember Sodom and Gomorrah.

Anonymous said...

Dude... Take a chill pill. Nothing should be assigned to one tribe. Its ignorant for any body to suggest only Yoruba's have transgenders. But dude.. What makes you think this guy is Igbo? Because I didn't see any indication of tribe or region on the article.

Anonymous said...

Linda please people like this are the reason why God sent Buhari to Nigeria out of anger, among other disasters happening in Nigeria. Please stop giving this people publicity.

Unknown said...

And what makes u think he is igbo

Chuks Bruno said...

The devil is actually thinking he's winning

Unknown said...

Well-done and sorry for all the emotional trauma!

Anonymous said...

Hes name is charles Nlewedim .....HE IS IGBO..YES HE IS

Chidiogo said...

Instead of you to say that you want travel to America or Europe to escape the economic hardship of the nation you are claiming to be a persecuted trans. This is a failed attempt to attract sympathy from the LGBT of the developed nations. Transgender ko, cogender ni. Abeg, shift let us focus on pressing issues like the free fall of naira.

Anonymous said...

U are so stupid and dumb cos that name is a Yoruba name abi? Must u comment ob everything? Jobless boy

Anonymous said...

Enter your comment...get ur life right man is what God has made you image man

Anonymous said...

Lol...@born by mistake

Anonymous said...

Lol...@born by mistake

Unknown said...

Bitch

SIMPLYCOCK said...

Confusion breaki bonni...yepa!

Anonymous said...

Then u both must b suffering from glaucoma cos d name on d post indicates n suggests he is ya brother! Gerrarahia mehn!

Anonymous said...

He is the most ill mannered Igbo. Very illiterate. Igbo s don't talk like this. He has hate in him. Don't respond @ Anon 9:10

Anonymous said...

Freeborn or cageborn is really insane. I doubt if he can read at all. Do dull headed.

Recent Posts