Another Journalist comes for Nicholas Ibekwe...says N50k was a honorarium not bribe | Welcome to Linda Ikeji's Blog

LI_Leaderboard_4

LI_Leaderboard_1

LI_Leaderboard_2

LI_Leaderboard_3

Friday 26 September 2014

Another Journalist comes for Nicholas Ibekwe...says N50k was a honorarium not bribe

Read journalist Femi Owolabi's incisive and different argument below...
Sometime in February, at an interactive session– in Ikogosi Warm Springs Resort– with Kayode Fayemi, governor of Ekiti State, one of the participants– as many raised-hands jostled—was picked by the moderator to ask the governor his question. Nicholas Ibekwe, he would announce as his name. With an aura of confidence, he added, “I work with Premium Times.” His voice carried so much energy and his question[s] was punchy.  Nicholas appeared as the pugnacious type. You would notice this immediately he began to talk, gesturing more frankly.  Where I sat, a close distance to his seat, I nodded in admiration. This guy should replace one of those journalists who babysit Goodluck Jonathan during the presidential media chats. It is not certain if Goodluck will survive Nicholas.
There was something I was going to ask Nicholas after the session.
A month earlier, Nicholas’ Premium Times published an investigative report, Inside Nigeria’s Ruthless Human Trafficking Mafia. It was a report that overwhelmed one with sadness. A few days later, however, critical observers began to expose the faults in the story everybody had bought. The most vocal of these observers was the literary critic, Ikhide Ikheloa. “This story is a faabu,” Ikhide, on his Twitter and Facebook timelines, screamed morning, day, and night.  He would eventually produce an article, Tobore Ovuorie’s story: Fact or fiction? The critical pieces of evidence Ikheloa provided in that piece to suggest the story a fiction, are too weighty to be discarded. He ended with the line; ‘There are many reasons to confront this story, its veracity being the least, but still a crucial reason to deal with it. The credibility of a nation is pretty much gone, but once our journalists lose their credibility, it is all over.’
Day in, day out, Ikheloa would not relent. In every of his Facebook post, he pulled out the Managing Editors of Premium Times– Dapo Olorunyomi and Musikilu Mojeed– by the nape of their neck, to apologize to Nigerians for publishing what he called a fake story.
Later that evening in Ikogosi, as participants trooped to the poolside, where we go to lounge, I hastened my movement to meet Ibekwe who was ahead.
“Someone is discrediting an investigative report by Tobore Ovuore, one of your reporters at Premium Times,” I opened the conversation with Nicholas after we had exchanged handshakes. “He calls your bosses out every day in his Facebook mentions to whip them. I don’t like the way Ikhide is going about; rubbishing your newspaper which had become a household name, being a reliable news source.”
I needed a point from Nicholas (the man I had seen as a no-nonsense journalist from Premium Times), which I intended to use in a Facebook post to rebut Ikheloa’s criticism.
Nicholas looked at me, almost dismissively. He, however, managed to tell me that he knew nothing about all that. We couldn’t talk further as I left his side. That was the first and only time I had seen Nicholas Ibekwe.
If you do not know Nicholas Ibekwe, he is currently the most talked about Premium Times journalist who ‘exposed’ the bribery deal between popular Nigerian pastor, T.B Joshua and the journalists who went to his Synagogue Church of All Nation, where a collapsed building killed many. I have followed Nicholas’ tweets as they were consistently retweeted into my Twitter timeline. He is angry about many things; that Lagos Governor Fashola met with Joshua behind closed doors, and after the meeting, dodged reporters, and perhaps his most prioritized anger; how Joshua offered N50,000 bribe to each journalist at the press conference of September 14. He soon released a recording of the bribery deal he had alleged. And then, on the 23rd of September [yesterday], he eventually came out with his story: “Why I exposed T.B. Joshua for bribing journalists.”
So, why did Nicholas publish the audio? “…when I woke up last Saturday morning and saw the picture of President Goodluck Jonathan shaking hands with a grinning TB Joshua with headlines like ‘Jonathan consoles TB Joshua,’ I said damn it! I couldn’t stomach this blatant impunity.”
“Journalists shouldn’t be seen or heard telling the prime suspect they would write ‘just like you said’ after he offered to buy their consciences with N50, 000,” he also said.
I hadn’t listened to the audio. But in Nicholas’ story published in Premium Times, the audio was reproduced. I reached for my earpiece and gave that audio a rapt attention. Four minutes or there about. Perhaps I didn’t get the real thing, I played it again. And then, again. Time wouldn’t allow me, I would have transcribed here. Only first-class thinkers would agree with me. That audio I listened to has nothing to do with a bribery deal. Wait, you can call for my head later. Go back to that audio and listen again! In the audio, we hear Joshua announcing some 750k; to be shared, 50k each to journalists, to fuel their car. Some ask questions about the issue at hand, and Joshua– in a tone that depicts sobriety– answers them. And, as they round off, Joshua asks, ‘So, what are you going to write?’ and they all laugh at what seem a sarcastic remark from Joshua. I laughed, too.
In his story, however, Nicholas argued, “He clearly meant for the money to influence the reporting of the event, ‘So what are you going to write?’” he had asked. That makes it a bribe. Simple.’
Your head is in the air. Such is the problem when you are highly opinionated. By what logical conclusion do we pronounce that bribery?
Let me quickly state that it is wrong for Governor Fashola and President Jonathan to be seen patting Joshua’s shoulder over the collapsed building that was largely his fault. And of course, this is not an attempt to write in defence of Joshua. If you care to know, I may soon renounce my membership of the Pentecostal movement, following many atrocities within this Movement that do not stand well with me.
We are only stupid to assume 750k is money enough a bribe from T.B Joshua to hush journalists. The story was already in the mainstream media. I have watched NEMA PRO on Channels TV lamenting the difficulties they were having with T.B Joshua’s church authority. All had become clearer that there was illegal addition of storeys to the building which eventually resulted in the collapse. And even Joshua himself knows that the ‘hovering craft’ tale is not buyable. So, why exactly would he bribe journalists with 750k?
What is my point? That 50k is appropriately called honorarium. If after the announcement of that 50k for journalists to fuel their car and that Nicholas had rejected, he was then called back to further negotiate an increase, then it becomes a bribe! They are desperate about hiding something! Oxford dictionary helps us with the definition of an honorarium: ‘A payment given for professional services that are rendered nominally without charge.’ T.B. Joshua is no fool to think 750k is okay to bribe journalists so the story is not exposed. That is simply honorarium, and it follows the tradition of the church.
On the other hand, Oxford dictionary says this about bribe: ‘A sum of money or other inducement offered or given to bribe someone.’ Is Nicholas insinuating that 50k to fuel his car poses a bribery threat? Is it that Nicholas couldn’t have accepted that 50k and still go ahead to publish his investigative findings? When such honorariums are doled out, no journalist is held by any obligatory terms to accept. Depending on the circumstances surrounding the story, I, as a [freelance] journalist may accept or reject such honorarium. It would take the next lifetime to have me bribed so I won’t expose a story. If you decide to force the ‘honorarium’ on me, I will take it. I have a network of friends whose stomachs are an empty tank of beer. They will beer with that money and that story you are desperate in hiding from the public would have a smooth ride to the press.
Many people are aware of my affiliation with the APC, and admiration for Kayode Fayemi. The report I did for The Scoop after the Ekiti governorship election did not, in a single sentence, favour APC and the party’s flag-bearer, Fayemi. My editor was worried. He wanted a balanced feel in the report. “Do you mean you couldn’t find anybody who spoke well of the APC candidate?” he asked me before pushing the report for publishing. I knew I could not write it with the bias I have for the APC.
In the May 1994 edition of the American Journalism Review, Alicia C. Shepard writes; ‘Critics say that taking money from groups falling under a reporter’s purview raises all sorts of potential conflicts of interest or, at least, the appearance of one. The money also raises questions about a reporter’s objectivity.’ So, like Nicholas, if I were at the meeting with T.B Joshua, I would have rejected the honorarium offer. But, I will not refer to it as bribe.
The globally recognized Associated Press, AP, recognises this honorarium thing. On its website, under the heading, AP News Values & Principles, we read this: ‘Associated Press offices and staffers are often sent or offered gifts of other items—some of them substantial, some of them modest, some of them perishable—by sources, public relations agencies, corporations and others.’
‘Sometimes these are designed to encourage or influence AP news coverage or business, sometimes they are just ‘perks’ for journalists covering a particular event. Whatever the intent, we cannot accept such items; an exception is made for trinkets like caps or mugs that have nominal value, approximately $25 or less. Otherwise, gifts should be politely refused and returned, or if that is impracticable, they should be given to charity.’
End of discussion? I know some would say this is an attempt to euphemistically rebrand bribe as honorarium. If you are of this thought, I borrow the words of Nicholas and I throw them at you, ‘I can’t help you if you can’t decipher that. I am a reporter not a brain surgeon.’
Well, bribery is a criminal offense. And if Nicholas insists this is a bribe deal, he shouldn’t hesitate in writing the lawyer, Femi Falana, on the need to take this case up.
It is no news, that journalists in Nigeria are underpaid. Nicholas, in his story, admits this. According to www.payscale.com, a [USA] journalist earns an average salary of $36,834 per year. According to me, a Nigerian journalist’s pay in a year is around $6,000. It is not totally a bad pay. What is bad is the delay and irregularities in the payment. While I was covering Osun election, I interviewed an academic, Babatunde Bakare, at the Bowen University. I didn’t know him from anywhere. After the interview, he asked me how I was surviving as a journalist. I told him I have other things that I do that pay my bills. Even though I wasn’t seriously investigating any story, I was just seeking the opinion of an academic on the election, Babatunde felt obliged to give me something to support my transport and logistics. He would later tell me that until his recent appointment as an academic, he was a senior producer/scriptwriter for one of Africa’s largest TVs, AIT. And he wasn’t paid salary in the last ten months he had worked with AIT.
I also stopped taking Sam Nda-Isaiah’s presidential ambition seriously the day I heard he owed his reporters at Leadership Newspaper, four month salary. It took a Twitter/Facebook protest to get Sam to bow to his employees’ demands. These delays, irregularities, underpayment, are not justifiable reasons to accept bribe. No, they are not. These reasons, however, justify the collection of an honorarium, such type that does not mean you should report a black story as white.
Nicholas, then, advises journalists to ‘explore other related and legitimate means of making money like researching, writing, and editing reports for NGO…’ This is the silliest of all advices. Journalism is a professional job. The burden of researching, investigating a story, is already time consuming. News are time bound, and Nicholas risks his job with Premium Times if he fails to beat deadlines for the kind of ‘pending stories’ he mentions in his piece. I make money as a private academic researcher. The months I have more than two research jobs, I suspend my journalistic activities. And the day I become a full time journalist, I should resign as a researcher. Journalistic work is enough work to get enough pay if things were right.
As I conclude, I should raise an issue. After the three day media/blogger interactive forum in Ekiti in February, participants were each offered 50k honorarium by the organizers. My name is Femi Owolabi. I received the N50,000 (of course it never influenced my subsequent criticisms. Many who also accepted the money had asked Governor Kayode Fayemi harsher questions during the forum and even wrote critically about his policies after we had left). However, Stanley Azuakola, the editor of The Scoop and Chinedu Ekeke, the editor of Ekekeee in their separate critical reports, revealed that they politely rejected the N50,000. Out of about thirty participants, Nicholas Ibekwe inclusive, I am yet to read of any other apart from Stanley, Chinedu and Stanley Achonu (the Operations Lead of BudgIT), who didn’t take that N50,000 honorarium. It is, therefore, logical to believe that Nicholas Ibekwe, who now accuses his fellow journalists of bribery when it was honorarium, received such in February in Ekiti.
If he didn’t receive that money, here is my apology in advance.

109 comments:

Amicable said...

Bribery n corruption is common in naija,why can't everyone rest about this issue

Anonymous said...

These guys really thinks there are people out there that will read this long ass story? My friend Goodbye!

Unknown said...

Sisi Linda beg bring us gist concerning ties and hubby.

Anonymous said...

After you don use the money buy bow tie...U come dey talk say honorarium not bribe...mtchew!

Baby95 said...

Wahala dey.

Unknown said...

#tiwa and hubby#tiwa sack has sack her hubby.lol

Unknown said...

Everybody wants to be noticed. No be only Honorarium, na Intinerarum. Abeg bribe na bribe.

I'm out. ***CATCH ME IF U CAN***

debi said...

Why? I have not seen his criticism anywhere. The time spent on this justification should have been used to tell the situation with the collapsed building.

Anonymous said...

idiot people. Abeg shift. Badguy.com

Anonymous said...

#Story for the gods

Unknown said...

Bring us gist concerning tiwa and hubby.who is sacking who lol.

Anonymous said...

YOU ARE A STANDARD FOOL..NOW GO HIDE YOU FACE

Unknown said...

Bro Femi, forget this ur Oliver twist grammar. Bribe na Bribe.
⌣̊┈̥-̶̯͡»̶̥♡thanks ⌣̊┈̥-̶̯͡»̶̥ 

The Sexiest Mother Of This Blog said...

yawns
akuko ifo

Unknown said...

Long essay


BORN TO SHINE!!!

Everything Rosham said...

Story for d gods.. Too long####Dadulcie##

Mrs CJ said...

You re silly

Anonymous said...

We listened to the audio and inasmuch as the reporter who exposed this does not hold my fancy, it still does not take away the gravity of what went down between the pastor and the journalists. Journalists have lost their credibility as far as I am concerned. A once respected pressman is now the spokesperson of a government he found fault with at inception. Azu, who used to be a respected journalist with punch, also had a few skeletons in his closets that were later revealed. And CNN had to remove him from its panel of judges. This is no longer debateable. Face it guys, your stories are no longer credible. You are always looking for the highest bidder. This shit right here does not sell anymore.

Anonymous said...

1. Please explain why N50,000 is fuel cost for journalists. Even if they live in Ghana, they won't spend N50,000 on fuel.



2. "Only 1st class thinkers would agree with me". Is that your version of the emperor with no clothes? Did you actually graduate with a first class from any University?



3. Does your profession have no morals or standards or ethics? Such that you justify receiving inducements by saying "I'm not adequately paid".



4. If you are a first-class thinker and you have some balls, get a job that pays; those exist, you know?



5. How many visitors to SCOAN get N50k transport honorarium? Or is it only journalists who buy fuel? Can you explain why the church gives to journalists and not others, If indeed, it is not bribe?



Anonymous said...

1. Please explain why N50,000 is fuel cost for journalists. Even if they live in Ghana, they won't spend N50,000 on fuel.



2. "Only 1st class thinkers would agree with me". Is that your version of the emperor with no clothes? Did you actually graduate with a first class from any University?



3. Does your profession have no morals or standards or ethics? Such that you justify receiving inducements by saying "I'm not adequately paid".



4. If you are a first-class thinker and you have some balls, get a job that pays; those exist, you know?



5. How many visitors to SCOAN get N50k transport honorarium? Or is it only journalists who buy fuel? Can you explain why the church gives to journalists and not others, If indeed, it is not bribe?



Anonymous said...

What is all these compilation of dog-biting rhetorics. Gimme a break guys!what the fuck is honorarium?what are u guys judging or condemning?sick f**ks!

»_»_• \0/ ^FORTUNEDEXC£L@REDIFFMAIL.COM^ »_»_• \0/

Anonymous said...

Such a ridiculous write up. Your corrupt mind is skewed of reality perception. You have gotten so used to receiving bribe that your conscience has sugar coated it with the word honorarium. Shame on you.

Uche Emma said...

Hmmm. Honorarium indeed

SisiTiti said...

I'v always been against that nicholas of a guy since sunday i'v been lashing out at him SCOAN wld be blamed for so many other things like the additional building but tb joshua giving them some amount of money to take care of their mobility didnt seem like a bribe to me and am also "a first class listener and thinker"and nothing in that audio shld be percieved as s bribe frm tbjoshua to the journalists but trust nigerians so many people dint even listen to the audio...Nicholas I dont know why you decided to do this but I hope you dont get urself into a lot of trouble both from man and God...

Unknown said...

all dis journalist nd their wahala....... na here una wan show say una sabi write abi???

Unknown said...

Enough already

Flips said...

A well written article, but the fact that TB Joshua announced the sum to be distributed and eventually asked the sly question tells me it was nothing more than a systemic bribe

Anonymous said...

Guilty conscience is disturbing them one by one, shameless people

Anonymous said...

Even though I don't buy your argument, I like the way you have presented your case without resorting to name calling or disparaging anybody s integrity.your article I think is well written logical and makes sense. You are one to look out for.

Unknown said...

the fact that the rot in the media has always been there does not mean that the populace should not rally support for any journalist who is trying to turn a new leaf. is it not callous and sadistic to receive graft from a man who is the cause of the death of several innocent people (both local and foreign) due to his negligence? these journalists have thrown their individual conscience to the dogs! watchdog, my foot.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe this guy. He's trying to justify taking money from someone and thinking he can really be critical of that person. It's not yor fault man. U won't be the first person to sell their soul when poverty strikes. What did U do with the 50k sef?

amankechinelo onyeemenaenyi said...

How will a building collapse and you still have tym and money to give out smh.just passing by

amankechinelo onyeemenaenyi said...

How will a building collapse and you still have tym and money to give out smh.just passing by

Anonymous said...

STOP WRITING NOW!

I can't believe this person graduated from university talk less of qualified as a Journalist. Lord have mercy. What is this??

My people, read this then go and read an article by the lowliest reporter in Washington Post or TIME magazine and weep for your country.

Kimmy*****

Anonymous said...

Good writing skill. I learn't a new word today..honorarium. I have seen T.B Joshua a many occasions. The fact remains, he is a giver and can still give even if all his church building collapses. I am sure he didn't know that his honorarium would cause him scandals. @amfestus

Da Epic Pen said...

The crux of the writer's argument is easily lost in this epistle. Most times when honorarium is handed out, the amount isnt mentioned; you simply hand the envelop to the journalist, coz it is just a token. The Prophet's question immediately after he announced/handed out the gift shows intent, which was clearly understood by the journalists. Simply put, bribe was offered, and was happily collected.

Da Epic Pen said...

The crux of the writer's argument is easily lost in this epistle. Most times when honorarium is handed out, the amount isnt mentioned; you simply hand the envelop to the journalist, coz it is just a token. The Prophet's question immediately after he announced/handed out the gift shows intent, which was clearly understood by the journalists. Simply put, bribe was offered, and was happily collected.

ary said...

A rose of any color is still a rose

Anonymous said...

This argument can only come from an untrained reporter. As LIB fans usually say: he should take several seats! Those who studied journalism or Mass Communication know that collecting "fuel money" or "honorarium" is simply wrong and unethical. Poverty or unpaid salaries can never justify acting in this way. There is something called the ethics of the journalism profession which is recognized and enforced all over the world. This writer obviously has no clue about this. The fact that this sad culture is entrenched in Nigeria where all values have been eroded and corruption and negativity rules, does not make it right.
Nicholas Ibekwe has said and done the right thing in this instance. No attempt to blackmail him will change anything. Smart editors like those at Punch newspapers should hire this Nicholas guy!
By the way, I have a first degree in Mass Communication and over 20 years of experience working in PR, so I know what I'm taking about.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Sharap dere...bribe nah bribe

Anonymous said...

Story that touch the bumbum and tickles the cli*t••#GiftedDiva#281d27a4

Unknown said...

Sometimes i wonder if some people actually read or listen before hating on others...GOD can u all just listen to the audio...i feel Nicholas felt foolish for not collecting cos the audio didn't state the 50k was to decide what to write, now let me rephrace the fuel-ing part...it is not new, we all visit people "be it your dad, mum, uncle,BOY FRIEND, SUGAR DADD, OR ANY ONE WHO IS SUPERIOR FINANCIALLY and when leaving, you get a "T.P" i have never in my life hear a nigerian guy dash his girl friend the exact transport fair when leaving uno,it's just a token to appreciation your visit,it does not in anyway influence whatever shit u write, "it's a general term, and TB Joshua said it clearly "Fueling" probably Nicholas was expecting him to ask them all the cost of transportation to each of the journalist houses ahaaaa guy common...so those that came from iyana paja should have been given 1 thousand naira,i'm very sure u will call him a stingy man if he does that, i am never a worshiper of SCOAN but Why make such allegations and cm up with a fucking rubbish leak audio that only favour the man ... if u decided not to take it, i think it's ur business don't call others coward for ur choice...i rest my case

Anonymous said...

idiotic fellow

Anonymous said...

Made in naija,its only in naija journalists get paid by their investigatees,who ever they went to investigate automatically becomes their employer,do you people ever think of your children,i guest no.
The answer is simple,you do not give what you do not have,hahaha! Naija press should wake up 'cos their children future is on their shoulder.

PersonPapa said...

I listened to that audio over and over again, there was no iota of bribe in it, the "so what would you report " is sarcasm and a follow up to the earlier comment of 'why did you start with people that died not people rescued

Anonymous said...

Ok we have seen your bow tie,250 naira watch and your un-natural pose. Local attention seeker. -AY NUTTER

Anonymous said...

A good orator kns wen to stop talkin.....A gud journalists kws wen to stp writing gad dammit!!!

Anonymous said...

If you like call it honorary or recharge card money or fuel money or even say lunch money...bribe na bribe...#gbam.....

Anonymous said...

Too lengthy #yawns Waka pass

Ajose Olasupo said...

Nicholas Ibekwe is just an hypocrite...body will soon tell am. He has collected this money b4 and just bcus this did not reach him he started crying foul

Yemi said...

Why should you Collect money when abt 120 pple lost their lives.what if ur brother or sister is one of those who lost their lives ?




naija dj said...

U too funny!

Anonymous said...

Absolute Rubbish!!!!!

Anonymous said...

lol, honorarium indeed. D type police, nepa and custom dey collect abi? Oloshi Journalists.

Anonymous said...

Its unfortunate dat journalists will go to a site of tragedy n say they are collecting honorarium. Just unfortunate.

Anonymous said...

Well written piece. I actually like the fact that this saga is bringing out the issues in the media industry and their plight. Hopefully, something good should come out of it.

Regarding Ibekwe's claim, I think he has a plausible cause. The intent of the cash offered to the reporters, going by what was on the tape, was to persuade their report of the issues at hand. If the Prophet hadn't asked about what they wanted write, I would have agreed it was intended to be an honorarium.

No one can deny the lack of integrity among Media practitioners these days. Blackmail and bribery have been rampant without as much as a fowl cry from anyone. Its about time.

Unknown said...

Honorarium! Linda tnx for this new word,haven't come across it before

Anonymous said...

Bribery and corruption is common in Nigeria and should thus be accepted? Wow. Decency and good values have been eroded in Nigeria ... Opata

Anonymous said...

femi u shd be ashamed of urself . call a spade a spade. they were bribed period

Anonymous said...

God bless you Sir/Ma. The comments here had gotten me so demoralised. It's either this serious issue is waved away as "too long. I can't read" or "it's the norm in society and we should remain aloof". You make me have hope for Nigeria ... Opata

Janelicious said...

Mmmmmm
This one long oooo,pls Linda did you read this before u posted it? Talk true

Anonymous said...

wch pastor in this circumstance wud think fueling the cars of journalists wen he is suppose to be really sobber about d death of his members.femi bury ur first class brain in shame

Anonymous said...

I read Femi's response but unfortunately I am not convinced by his explanation. I also listened to TB Joshua on the recording and whether or not his intention was to bribe them, his act of offering that money up amounts to bribery. Churches are non-profit organizations by law and even though Nigerian churches have learned not to be accountable, on their annual report and financial statement, what will he call that money?

oilandgasdissertation said...

#gbam

Chop Chop said...

Future employers please take note.

Ola said...

Making excuses for unethical crap .... As usual for some! ....

Anonymous said...

HONORARIUM KE, UNA BE PASTOR?

Anonymous said...

Infact that no1 makes lots of sense, Ghana by air ooo! Mtsww

Unknown said...

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said...
.
Tb really a made a mistake at first instance i swear.... E for no give anybody money, nw see what he has caused nw...
.
.
***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

APPLE said...

Where i come from it is called bribe!

Aragon 3 said...

hhhmmmmm.............all these conter motions


I laff in mandarin

Anonymous said...

FIRST TO COMMENT***(GURU) We have heard.Enough of this write ups from all this journalist..TB Joshua in the lips of everybody..

Grace said...

I jus knew it was an honorarium, I already knew that first journalist was sprouting nonsense if u watch T.B Joshua's station or u know him at all u will know he always gives out cash. dat man was just seeking attention. Am sure many of you are new to the concept of giving out honorarium, learn people!!. tanks to the author for point out this already obvious news to dimwitted persons

Nne said...

Mr journalist, A man whose building collapsed killing so many people will honestly not be in the mood of giving fuel money to reporters on d site...you know the truth!!!

bunmi said...

Bribery is bribery, no matter d English u call it.

Unknown said...

I dont think most of the people that have commented read through this arcticle from my own point of view Nicolas hasnt told the truth weather he was offer an extra cash secritly when he refused the innitial 50k that was publicly decleared. Sum say why did TB joshua ask what they are going to write to be fair if i was the one on that condition i will ask that same qeustion he TBj ask. On the other the writer alleged the he Ibekwe has been collecting honourery in the same form of money why did he call this one offered by TB.J a bribe ?

Unknown said...

BRIBE; To give someone money or some other incentive TO DO something. This payment precedes a 'rendered service'.

HONORARIUM; An amount paid voluntarily for providing a service. This mostly comes after the service has been rendered. E.g compensation for delivering a speech.
For an honorarium to be given, there has to be NO STRINGS ATTACHED. But that clearly isn't the case here, he WANTED them to "correct what was out there", subsequently asking "so what are you going to write now?"

From the scenario that played out at SCOAN, I think we can deduce which of these fits in perfectly. C'mon 'Mr. First-class thinker', this is pretty straight forward. It's a bribe.

Anonymous said...

Lmao

Anonymous said...

Honorarium in such circumstances is a politically correct name for bribe.

Unknown said...

I wish I knew you in person....Ur stupidity is just epic.

dee-d said...

@francis why he called TB is bcs his a man God who is meant to be leading by example !!!! I wonder why him that lost his building and his people should be giving out money !!! Are we not meant to sympathize with him? Why is even money involve? Why will he forget the dead ones ? Why not him tell the whole world how many pple died that he will need our prayers for the souls that was lost . Anything secret is not for God !!! Pple wake up !!!! We are blind !! Though we shall follow what he said abt jesus and ignore their behaviour s... okwa ndi pastor aa oga adi nma.

Anonymous said...

Long ass boring story... I was going to write a comment questioning the integrity of whoever wrote this article and infact anyone who tries to blame Nicolas for standing up against immorality, but instead I would like to remind them that the deepest place in hell is made for those who choose to ignore reasoning in face of injustice and indiscipline... Whatever happened to ethics?? Since when has TB Joshua turned logistics coordinator? The sooner we decide to end out ignorance and begin to call spade a spade, the better for us

dee-d said...

See his Kwak tie and wrist watch ! No b only Honorarium why not call it your Phd? Or award? His honoring u bcs ur a journalist. How shameless u can be. Last I checked journalists are meant to find out and tell d truth on what happened in an occasion or what ever it maybe . But see them asking the pastor what they will say .shaaaaaaame on u!!!!

Anonymous said...

Bimbos are def going no comment like bimbos. So when something bad is pervasive, your best response to it is to rest. Shame!

I'd be shocked if this is posted.

DAT IGBO BOY said...

So long a deception...

Unknown said...

Nico is an hypocrite 4 expose T.B joshua? How do things change ?

Anonymous said...

With this, I will have to give credence to that age-long yoruba adage that says" eni to ba je dodo..koni so ododo" If these people divert this energy on focusing on d issue at hand.. I am sure things would go on well. You got it wrong when u said does Nicholas think 750k can be regarded as bribe? Is bribery in d amount? It can come in a bottle of beer... ! Whether in a Ghana must go or in a bottle.. all na bribe!
And whether he is humble, generous does not prove anything. Was he negligent or not?
We youths complain about d Govt and corruption but it appears many will mess up if given the opportunity to right the wrong.. the reason is not far fetched.. many benefit from the wrong.
You honestly don't have to kill anyone to become a ritualist... benefiting from such tragic incident is appalling.

Anonymous said...

With this, I will have to give credence to that age-long yoruba adage that says" eni to ba je dodo..koni so ododo" If these people divert this energy on focusing on d issue at hand.. I am sure things would go on well. You got it wrong when u said does Nicholas think 750k can be regarded as bribe? Is bribery in d amount? It can come in a bottle of beer... ! Whether in a Ghana must go or in a bottle.. all na bribe!
And whether he is humble, generous does not prove anything. Was he negligent or not?
We youths complain about d Govt and corruption but it appears many will mess up if given the opportunity to right the wrong.. the reason is not far fetched.. many benefit from the wrong.
You honestly don't have to kill anyone to become a ritualist... benefiting from such tragic incident is appalling.

Anonymous said...

My thoughts exactly. The Nicholas guy was just seeking attention and he got it. Chikena!

Ajiifixing said...

What do you expect from a profession that produced Reuben Abati, Olusegun Adeniyi et al.

Anonymous said...

The first journalist said because they were not pay well, that's why those that collected do so. Today another one is saying is an honorarium. What makes you deserve honorarium? You are corrupt, simple. Dont try to justify anything here. Youruba will say, Nkan ti o da Koni oruko meji, koda lo nje(that is, something that is not good doesn't have any other name than not good).

austine ihechukwu said...

Guess most of u here dnt knw that journalists are usually givn enevelops whenever thet attend press conferences huh, come 2 tink of it was the 50k issue the only thing discusses there? How come the dude didn't release the audio of other things that transpired there?

Anonymous said...

*Linda. There is a thin line between bribery and honorarium. While $25 is little money to an AP journalist, N50,000 is a lot to Naija journalist and that constitutes bribery.
This writer will like say Nigerian policemen on our street are taking honorarium.

Stanley Chisom Nnaso said...

hian!!! Na bible dis guy copy and paste oooo..... This thing too long nah. Abeg who finish am? Summarize am give me.

www.twitter.com/stannaso

Anonymous said...

No mind the mumu "journalist."

Anonymous said...

As in, Mr Bowtie no get case.

Anonymous said...

Don't mind the shameless thief. I would believe Nic Ibekwe 1000 times before even listening to this fraud.

Temitope

Nkechi J. said...

You are either an illiterate or just a poor soul who can no longer differentiate right from wrong. There's something called ethics in all profession. As a journalist accepting any kind of offer from a subject you are writing about simply clouds your judgment, this is fact! If you want true unadulterated information, then you should know that only one who has no stake in a matter can tell you an unbiased view. Call this money whatever you want but we all know these journalists can no longer be trusted tell us what they really saw, for their hands have been stain,!

fifi said...

Mr man nobody knws you and we dnt want to know you.you are obviously lukn for your 15 mins of fame.wel u hv got e go nd rest biko.

Anonymous said...

"First class thinkers" my left butt cheek. Why is Linda giving such idiotic nonentities free PR?

Anonymous said...

abeg you are looking for publicity joor.

Anonymous said...

T. B. Joshua has done nothing wrong. We are all witnesses to his unending kind and magnanimous show of solidarity. He gives out cash running into millions of Naira on a weekly basis. Hundreds of thousands to Widows, d aged and students. Even if he wants to bribe it won't be 50k. D total of 750k is not up to wat he gives out to individuals for assistance. Pastor Joshua also relishes opportunities to joke. He may have made one or two mistakes regarding dis saga (since he is human). Pls listen to d audio; it wasn't a bribe. Mudiskingo.

Anonymous said...

With due respect, this is hogwash!! An honorarium was paid you in the Ekiti elections, because you were specially invited to cover the event. Your services were specially sought to report on the day's events, and that was why you were paid. Were you specially invited to SCOAN on that fateful day? Were your services rendered to TBJ or the Nigerian people? It insults our sensibilities when you try to gloss over your misconduct. This should stop!

Unknown said...

All dis journalist sef...e don do for una

Anonymous said...

U deserve a kiss for dis Debi...exactly my thots. I was hoping by now we'll be reading abt extensive analysis of d collapsed building & how d defects brot it dwn#apogeeventures7@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

just like the garri wey Fayose give the poor masses of ekiti be honorarium. i now understand that word.

OMG!WOMAN said...

Hahahahahhha.. I laughed out loud on this.

pender said...

There are - I just read it. There are still ppl who haven't tossed away their reading culture

Recent Posts