Chimamanda Adichie stands by her Trans Women statement: 'I didn't apologize because I have nothing to apologize for' | Welcome to Linda Ikeji's Blog

LI_Leaderboard_4

LI_Leaderboard_1

LI_Leaderboard_2

LI_Leaderboard_3

Friday 24 March 2017

Chimamanda Adichie stands by her Trans Women statement: 'I didn't apologize because I have nothing to apologize for'

Acclaimed Nigerian writer and feminist, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie is unapologetic and unwilling to back away from her recent statement on transgender women which caused widespread outcry last week.

It will be recalled that in an interview with Channel 4 News, Ms Adichie said the experiences of transgender women differ from women who are born female. "My feeling is trans women are trans women"


Her comments drew immense criticism, resulting in Adichie posting a clarification of her earlier remarks on Facebook.

Addressing the controversy again at a public appearance in Washington D.C on Monday, March 20th, while promoting her book, "Dear Ijeawele or A Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Suggestions," Adichie  stated that she "didn't apologize because I don't think I have anything to apologize for"

“From the very beginning, I think it’s been quite clear that there’s no way I could possibly say that trans women are not women. It’s the sort of thing to me that’s obvious, so I start from that obvious premise. Of course they are women but in talking about feminism and gender and all of that, it’s important for us to acknowledge the differences in experience of gender. That’s really what my point is."

"I didn’t apologize because I don’t think I have anything to apologize for," she continued. "What’s interesting to me is this is in many ways about language and I think it also illustrates the less pleasant aspects of the American left that there sometimes is this is kind of language orthodoxy that you’re supposed to participate in, and when you don’t there’s kind of backlash that gets very personal and very hostile and very closed to debate"

"Had I said, 'A cis woman is a cis woman, and a trans woman is a trans woman,' I don't think I would get all the crap that I'm getting, but that's actually really what I was saying"

Adichie also doubled down on her idea that gender is about an individual's interactions with the world, going back to her statement that a woman who once lived as a man has felt male privilege.
"I think gender is about what we experience, gender is about how the world treats us, and I think a lot of the outrage and anger comes from the idea that in order to be inclusive, we sometimes have to deny difference," she said.

Adichie also cleared up any misconceptions about why she thinks acknowledging differences among women is necessary.

"I think there were people who felt I was somehow making a point about the Oppression Olympics: "You haven't suffered enough," "It's not at all that. It's simply to see that if we can acknowledge there are differences, then we can better honestly talk about things"

19 comments:

Unknown said...

Gbam.. correct woman 🖒. Now Clifford orji abi ms Sahara can now go and drink acid.. acid will be actually good for all transgenders.. they will spare humanity further misery..

Anonymous said...

I love chi I just can't stop loving her

OSINANL said...

I CONCUR WITH HER...
A TRANS WOMAN IS A TRANS WOMAN

Daily diet tv said...

Nne, E wekwa obi!

Jide said...

Trans-women were formerly men and have a different experience than women born as females.
penis exercises works

Oluwadamilola Akinayo said...

Well said by her there is an obvious difference...

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is a positive development. Finally admitting trans women exist. Especially since they are right in front of us, everywhere, but you were pretending to be blind.

Perhaps now you can begin to tone down the homophobia. Being afraid of gay men makes absolutely no sense.

Hrm Paul said...

The truth is she is full of bull shit she is neither here nor there she is hiding under big grammar to shade trans.she is being unequivocal. Simply put Aduche is saying trans women are not women that is wat she is saying and not trans women are trans women wat does dat mean.state the obvious madam dey are not women simple

Oghenetega said...

Osheee..

Unknown said...

Lol.
"Confusion everywhere" in Fela's voice.

Unknown said...

sweet heart!
-D great anonymous now as Vivian Reginalds

Anonymous said...

Nne supu oyibo.

Sam X said...

Better go get a man before this bitterness eats you up. Its usually the man less women that discourages the fellow women to disengage from men so they be in same category.

Anonymous said...

Courageous woman. Very proud of her.

Anonymous said...

All I see is a hideous dress.

Anonymous said...

I think u a the bitter one here. She is married with kids but d likes of u DAT want to cling to their gender, enjoy.

Affordable lands at low costs said...

Supported

Anonymous said...

Trans women ARE NOT women. Has their DNA changed from XY to XX simply because they changed their appearance to that of a woman?

Unknown said...

Trans this or trans that. All is nonsense. Can a man try God?

Recent Posts