Outrage as mom who forgot her 4 month old son in a grocery store is charged | Welcome to Linda Ikeji's Blog

LI_Leaderboard_4

LI_Leaderboard_1

LI_Leaderboard_2

LI_Leaderboard_3

Monday 31 August 2015

Outrage as mom who forgot her 4 month old son in a grocery store is charged

Cherish Peterson, a mother of four young kids, said she was horrified to realize she drove off from a grocery store in Arizona last week without her two-month-old son and since then, there's been a roller coaster reaction on social media.
The incident happened in the Phoenix suburb of Gilbert, on a day when the high temperature was 104 degrees. Peterson returned to the grocery store to look for her baby after about 40 minutes. She didn't notice he was missing until she had driven all the way home.

"As I was pulling into the garage, my 3-year-old-goes, 'Where is baby Huxton?' I turned around and looked and realized he was gone," Peterson said.
 She said she was distracted by two of her other kids and forgot her son, who was still in the cart.

"Normally, I put my cart away, but I didn't need to because I parked at the front of the store, and I never park there. And I drove away," Peterson said.
An off-duty police officer found the infant and took him inside a nearby Supercuts.
Huxton was checked out at a hospital before being returned to his parents.
"I'm a good mom who made a horrible mistake," she said. Police believed it was an accident, but the internet was not as forgiving.
People questioned the 28-year-old mom's parenting skills and wondered if alcohol or drugs were involved. There were also comparisons to the treatment of Shanesha Taylor, an unemployed Phoenix mother who in May was sentenced to 18 years probation for leaving her two sons inside her SUV during a job interview.
"People went crazy thinking that I should have my child taken out of my home and they should have never given me my baby back and I should be in prison right now," Peterson said. "Nothing they can say can make me feel worse than I did in that moment I turned around and saw my car seat missing."

The next day, police said they would recommend a misdemeanor charge of child endangerment against Peterson, which sparked another backlash.




The hashtag #IStandWithCherish trended on US Twitter and more than 16,000 people joined a Facebook group to support her.
"There is nothing I love more in this world than being a mom, and there is no one in this world that can love my kids more than me," Peterson said. "But you know what? I count my blessings because my baby was OK."

Peterson's husband said they are grateful to the off-duty police officer and first responders who took good care of their son, but he also believes public pressure forced the police department's hand.

The prosecutor will now decide whether to move forward with the misdemeanor charge against Peterson.
Peterson's husband Nathan Peterson rushed to his wife's defense.
''I married the best, in terms of the mother and wife Cherish is to me and our children,' he said.
'A mistake was made, and we learned, but we're not perfect. We're not perfect. But we love our family and we love our children and we are grateful that everything is okay.'
'It's hard when you can't shield your beloved wife and family from hateful and judgmental things,' he added.

Cherish has since been charged with a misdemeanor charge of child endangerment to the town prosecutor by Gilbert Police Dept.

Source: CBS

50 comments:

Unknown said...

Uhmmmmm what the hell is she thinking eeeh?
Auntie linda shay you see that woman!

Unknown said...

Uhmmmmm what the hell is she thinking eeeh?
Auntie linda shay you see that woman!

Anonymous said...

Hmm
~D great anonymous!

Unknown said...

I don't know why God keep on given this insane biches children to take care of when they have not taking care of them self's.

















#sad indeed

STERN said...

Sorry about that. There's nothing I can do.

Unknown said...

She's a chicken!

Aunty linda take note biko

#TeamSept7

Unknown said...

Uhmmmm hope she aint thiniking of s.. Thou!
Auntie linda u understand?

Unknown said...

Uhmmmm hope she aint thiniking of s.. Thou!
Auntie linda u understand?

kemikane said...

Again Anything can happen it's the human world.

Empressitta said...

I no dey understand dese oyibo nd dia 4getfulness. Empressitta@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Did she call the store to ask that the manager find and keep the baby or she drove back 40 minutes later to find the baby...as if she left a toy. Yeye...good that they charged her, really of she was black the baby would be long gone.

TAMARA SPLASH said...

This one hard ooo. Dunno what to say

andre kelvin said...

Seen

Unknown said...

Is she suffering from Anaemia? If not, it's insane to forget ur baby not even ur hand bag.

Adaosi said...

White privileges. If a black lady did this they won't even think twice about it

Unknown said...

I think she has a lot on her mind but to forget ones child is unacceptable. Linda take note!

Unknown said...

I think she has a lot on her mind but to forget ones child is unacceptable. Linda take note!

Unknown said...

I think she has a lot on her mind but to forget ones child is unacceptable. Linda take note!

Unknown said...

At the top of the story.... I hope u meant 106 degree Fahrenheit and not 106 degree Celsius. Abeg o. 104 degree C??? It had better be 104 degree F, because 104degree Celsius is dsame as the temperature of boiling water...infact 4 degree higher

Anonymous said...

It takes smtym to geet use to having a new baby after years of d previous ones. Not that i forget my two mnths old baby but dat feeling wen i had d first subside

Unknown said...

Wow! It can happen to anybody!

Read a similar post on my blog,
I forgot my child in the car
and
Click for important back-to-school tips

Unknown said...

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said..
.
What was she thinking... A pity.....
.
.
***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

Unknown said...

SMH

Unknown said...

Too much on her mind

Anonymous said...

The only people who are condemning are the ones who have no idea what raising four kids mean.




<< LIB Addict >>

Golda Awosika said...

Actually it is easy to bash her and say hateful tyns against her. But I duff my hrt for her bcos she is human and nt perfect, no1 is above mistake.
#*karlishah*

Unknown said...

Fact is. Taking care of kids is the hardest job ever. She is obviously knackered. 4 young kids! I have twin 4 year olds and I am destroyed. Lack of sleep, Highly rambunctious kids- the screaming, the fighting, arguing can turn you into a zombie. It could certainly have happened to me. She needs help not condemnation. #istandwithcherish

Nelly said...

Oyibo people sef nothing way person no go hear

Anonymous said...

Dumebi ooo
Fr virgin coconut oil call 08034703682

Jen said...

I am not a mom, but I seriously feel 4 her.being a mum is really tough,i can imagine how bad she felt, there is no way she doesn't love her child and all dis ppl judging her shld knw that no one can love that child more than her.am happy d baby is ok though.

Anonymous said...

U mean amnesia or dementia lol nawa for ur anaemia....

Anonymous said...

Go back to school please.

Unknown said...

Try 'Amnesia' pls.

Anonymous said...

It nearly happened to me with my first baby. I went to the hospital with him for his immunizations and afterwards I waited for a little while to see a staff briefly while he was strapped in his buggy. Then after seeing that member of staff I headed for the door almost leaving and then I suddenly remembered that I wasn't pushing any buggy so I hurried back inside and took him. This woman probably had a lot in her mind and head plus 4 kids going shopping wit her plus perhaps post natal depression she may be suffering... but all the same I would not criticize her. She needs little help .

Jasmine Joseph said...

Abeg this woman shld shataaapppp ur forgot ur baby but not the irrelevant groceries u went to buy. I no blame u Cuz God made it easy for u to born

ary said...

Why do these guys bother to have kids sef?!

Anonymous said...

If the mother or children were people of color, criminal charges would've been filed with the quickness. Baby Huxton would be in protective custody right now.




***Lush

Anonymous said...

If the mother or children were people of color, criminal charges would've been filed with the quickness. Baby Huxton would be in protective custody right now.




***Lush

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with u!

Angie said...

What happened to her could easily happen to any mother; be it a first time mom or of more.

The baby is still being gotten used to and the stress from the others can make any mom take strain.. This same thing has almost happened to me, but my saving grace immediately as I was about entering the car, was my husband tht came along for the shopping and one of the guys that takes the trolley back to the shop.

The woman simply needs a time out, on a holiday...to regain her sanity.
Kids are tough to raise, and it's way more than a fulltime job.

#IStandWithCherish

nichole said...

why is it that for every little mistake bloggers always condemn victims, are you perfect.

I B M bolubantin said...

This is the most careless thing ever

Anonymous said...

She wasn't tinking of anything. Dats wat u get wen u put ur baby in a cart instead of carrying him on ur back cos being in d cart is same as grocies in a cart. Therefore after d grocies av been packed it wld b taken dat d shopping is over n then get d running kids home while leaving d one in d cart behind. I love africa. I must back my baby or better still carry him in my arms. No fumzy

Unknown said...

Well said

Unknown said...

Exactly my sister

Anonymous said...

Why blame the woman when you can't fit into her shoes. Yes it's bad that she forgot her child, but people, have you ever imagined what mother's go through? If you never forgot to feed your child, give medication or pick a child from school at the right time, then cast the first stone on this woman.
Dear Lord, I pray for strength for evey mother out there. Amen.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to my world.

Anonymous said...

She is human. Even the bible says that a woman can forget her suckling child. Motherhood is not easy. Give a helping hand to a mother today, maybe you will help her remember. #Istandwithcherish

Anonymous said...

Don't crucify her, she forgot a baby she carried in her womb for nine long, torturous months. How many you don abort? Anything could have caused it. I'm not commending her for "forgetting" her baby in the cart but I won't condemn her either.

That's why I like the African way... just carry wrapper tie your pikin for back, u no fit forget am at all lol.

but wait o, if she was black, would the story be the same? I'm almost certain a black woman would not get away with it...

Anonymous said...

Maybe it is a sign that she should not have anymore children. Leaving a baby in a shopping cart is not good. If you can't keep track of your children then you should not be having any more of them. It takes your three yr old to remind you of your child, all the time you were driving home you did not look in the rearview mirror once to clue in that your baby is missing, you just driving and not checking on the kids in the back..foh with your lame excuses. I am sure she did not forget how to take the dick to make the kids though, I am sure she got that memorized..mtschewww.

Recent Posts