14-Year-Old Rape Victim Charged With Adultery And Beaten To Death In Bangladesh | Welcome to Linda Ikeji's Blog

LI_Leaderboard_4

LI_Leaderboard_1

LI_Leaderboard_2

LI_Leaderboard_3

Sunday 6 February 2011

14-Year-Old Rape Victim Charged With Adultery And Beaten To Death In Bangladesh

A 14-year-old Bangladeshi girl allegedly raped by a much older cousin has died after being publicly flogged for adultery. Hena Begum was sentenced to receive 100 lashes by a village council made up of elders and Muslim clerics in the district of Shariatpur, about 35 miles from the capital, Dhaka.



She endured about 80 lashes before collapsing Monday, according to The Daily Star, a Bangladeshi newspaper. Her family took her to a hospital, where she died.

“What sort of justice is this? My daughter has been beaten to death in the name of justice. If it had been a proper court then my daughter would not have died,” Dorbesh Khan, the girl’s father, told the BBC.

Family members said Hena was raped by a 40-year-old married cousin. The man’s family beat up the teen, then accused her of adultery.

The very next day, she was sentenced to the flogging in a fatwa, or religious ruling, issued by the village council under Islamic Shariah law.

Four people, including a Muslim cleric, have been arrested in connection with Hena’s death. Police said they were looking for another 14 people in the case.

Bangladesh’s high court has ordered district officials in Shariatpur to explain why they did not protect the girl. The court ruled eight months ago that Shariah punishment was illegal.

How sad.
Source: BBC

9 comments:

9ice said...

Wow, this is so not sharia law, this is proper human law. The stupid 40year old should be stonned. I'm sure he paid off the people. May her soul rest in peace.

justice should be called, those so called judges must be punished for what they did.

Anonymous said...

If I were the girl
I will start screaming on the top of my lungs
Jesus I give my life to you,I am sorry Ive been a bloody Muslim all my life...........................
let them beat the soul outta me
bUt I will show them how strong I am by cursing that muhuammed or whatever they call his name
cause he brought the worst religion into this earth
scums of the earth!

solaye said...

yeah,rite i undastand d pain seeing the girl beaten 2 death but dat doesnt give anyone d rite 2 make such statement about islam,dis re d kind of comment dat starts off religious wars pls lets learn 4rm d jos issue pls....am a christain and i dnt tink i ve d rite 2 condemn any religion,d bible said do not judge.......pls,linda educate ur pple o
may d soul of d poor girl rest in perfect peace(amen)






ps:linda post my comment

Anonymous said...

Abeg Abeg Abeg
why cant Anon say whatever she wants to say
If its a religion of peace make them carry face biko!
worst things have been said about christianity/christians so please
I guess a lot of muslims condone stuff like this otherwise more of them will be speaking out against stuff like this
my 2 kobo

ferrari said...

if shariah law was illegalized in the country, means the sentence was void, i wonder were her silly father was ,at the time the girl was enduring 80 strokes of the cane.its after she has died, that he is runnig his mouth to BBC.sexist

Damisola said...

I'm a Muslim and a proud one at that. Even though i do not wear an hijab. I'm very upset at these comments because at the end of the day it goes to show the ignorance of the people commenting. Any religion can be manipulated to suit the tastes of whoever preaches it. I do not have a problem with any religion neither would i insult. Lakum di nu kum walia deen (to you is your religion and to me is mine). These are evil men in a backward society and that does not tell of the majority of muslims around the world. Have a great day

Anonymous said...

ok I am sorry for passing the initial statement about our "PEACEFUL MUSLIMS"
but look around you people
it is getting crazy
a lot of muslims fanatics are making life miserable for millions of people
I know I passed that statement out of emotions/sentiments
but NOT until you lose your family /loved ones to these crazy lunatics you have no idea how it feels
I am sorry once again

Anonymous said...

This is injustice what happened to the 40year old rapist why are the VICTIM alway BLAMED this is violence against women! justice must take its course the other 14 person should be brought to book.

Dorothy Etim said...

this world is gettimg to an end!!!!!!!! imagine what an old man can do to a young girl.that man should be hanged, beaten, sentence to death.pls the police should look for the remaining people that part of her death.May Her soul rest in PEACE!!!!!!!

Recent Posts