One pupil dies, 14 others burnt , as school bus catches fire in Ibadan | Welcome to Linda Ikeji's Blog

LI_Leaderboard_4

LI_Leaderboard_1

LI_Leaderboard_2

LI_Leaderboard_3

Thursday, 5 April 2012

One pupil dies, 14 others burnt , as school bus catches fire in Ibadan

Tragedy struck in Iyana-Church Ibadan, Oyo State, yesterday as one pupil whose name was given as Rachel, died and 14 others of Divine Wisdom Group of Schools, Amosun, Ibadan, aged between five and 11 got seriously burnt, when the bus conveying them to school suddenly caught fire.

Continue reading...



Daily Sun investigation revealed that due to the severity of the burns, most of the pupils have been admitted at the emergency unit of the University College Hospital (UCH), Ibadan, where they have been placed on oxygen. The girl died on admission in hospital.

At least eight of the children were said to have suffered shock as a result of the incident, which threw Wakajaye, Iyana-Church, Maku, Amosun and other communities into confusion. Many parents who had their children in the school, especially, those whose children had been picked early in the morning rushed to the scene.

It was gathered that the school bus, a Ford with registration number GR 329 LND had suddenly stopped working at Iyana-Church, besides Olorun-Esan filling station, forcing the driver to park the vehicle to ascertain what was amiss. The driver, who is also a motor mechanic, was said to have asked the older ones among the pupils to come down to help him push the bus.

While pushing the bus, the pupils were said to have called his attention to fuel dripping from under the vehicle, after which it caught fire. The driver, whose name was given as Mr Sherif Ogundele told Daily Sun “The children called my attention to the fuel which was dripping from under the bus. I tried to check it but while I was trying to open up the engine, the bus caught fire.” About 15 pupils in the bus were said to have been seriously burnt, while those pushing it escaped unhurt.

Ogundele, whose son, Usman, a five-year-old nursery 2 pupil was among the victims of the fire incident also had his hand and leg burnt while trying to rescue children. “I was able to rescue about seven pupils before people later joined me”.
Daily Sun learnt that but for the people who joined him in rescuing other children trapped in the bus, the damage would have been more severe.

Ogundele added: “After I had checked and discovered that the bus had battery problem, I told the older ones among the children to assist me in pushing it, but they told me that fuel was dripping from underneath. As I tried to open the engine, fire just emerged. That was how the bus got burnt. It was when I was trying to rescue the children that I also had my hand and leg burnt.”

All the burnt pupils were later rushed to the UCH for proper medical attention in a commercial cab and motorcycles before one of them died in the hospital. The school was deserted when Daily Sun visited as many parents were said to have withdrawn their children, while the proprietress, Mrs Oke Ejemuta and other teachers went to the UCH to monitor the children. Ejemuta was said to have ordered the school shut shortly after the incident.

At the emergency unit of UCH, many of the victims’ parents wept uncontrollably after seeing the extent of burns on their children. Mrs Jumoke Oderinde, whose two kids were among the children, slumped at the UCH after seeing the intensity of burns on his son, Goodness.

Source: Sunnewsonline

36 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is well in Jesus name (amen) .

Anonymous said...

God in his infinite mercy will heal those children in Jesus name(amen)

Jesse's wife said...

all these tragedies affecting babies these last few days are distraughting!!!

Anonymous said...

So so so SAD!!

Anonymous said...

God is in control.

Anonymous said...

Oh Lord Pls lay ur healing hands upon these children n may the soul of Rachael rest in perfect peace...Amen!

Anonymous said...

Oh! my GOD! {kneeling down}

Lord, please send your Angels of comfort to visit each child and mother and Lay Your healing hands on them.

Let the soul of the departed little child rest comfortably in your Bosom, my Father.

In the mighty name of Jesus. Amen. *sighs*

Anonymous said...

Lord pls in ur mercy heal dis kids ijn. Make stop to all dis bad news.

Anonymous said...

I am, the no Sender.

Another disaster involving children again.

When will Nigeria end the wastings. We can't afford this na? It's such a pathetic story that one is so lost. What those kids are going through now. I pray they won't die. I pray they won't be scarred for life both physically and psychologically.

Dr.G said...

Saddest story ever. I have my own young kids & don't want to imagine how terrible the parents of those young kids are feeling now. So sorry & wish I can help.

Anonymous said...

Its so sad,cos the parents of these kids actually paid for school bus for the safety of their kids,but evil always have its way of going around things,may the soul of the deceased rest in peace

Anonymous said...

God! All dis second hand vehicle that r imported into this country to come n kill us and our children! Lord have mercy! That proprietress should be arrested! R d parents not payin heavly for their ward's school fee why then use a dead vehicle to convey infants! Infants that can't run or save themselves in times of danger?! Kai! God forbid o! I would have beaten d stupid proprietess were I any of the victim's parent! Nonsense!

Anonymous said...

Teary eyes, sad much

OK said...

Oh my!Whats with all this tragedies in 9ja?

Lilspicer said...

NAWA GOD HELP DEM TO SURVIVE THIS NIGERIA AND OUR POLITICAL WAHALA(OMO-IWO)

Anonymous said...

QF
OMG kids again? Y al ds negligence nd puttin d lives of innocent children at risk, huh? My hrt goes out to all d affected kids...wishin dm quick recovery.

Anonymous said...

Omg...wat kinda carelessness is dis...I pray 4 quick recovery 4 dose innocent children

Anonymous said...

The agents of darkness just tested the name of the school, Divine...

I was told that my child was tested for wearing a cross on his neck and we had to remove the crucifix to have peace. Of course, that is all mumbo jumbo to a lot of people.

On the other hand, we don't have rules and regulations in health and safety awareness in Nigeria. Nobody cares!

Children also die anyhow in boarding schools from minor ailments because the law does not force school owners to do their jobs properly. Let us blame the government. RIP!

Anonymous said...

May God help us and keep us safe!

Anonymous said...

So pathetic. May the soul of the innocent young lad rest in peace, amen. Speedy recovery also to the injured ones too.

Linda check this out. It's about Ghana boys going gay and posting pics on the net. The link to the pics + article is http://www.ghanacrunch.com/2012/ghana-boys-going-gay/. Make sure you post this one o, after Ghana people don laff us tire say we be born gays. Na their own come worst past. Mstchewwww!!

Anonymous said...

My prayer for all the children..........Na wa ooooooo naija again!!!

TruSon said...

Death toll rises to 7-The Nation News Paper.
.
Too bad. RIP little Angels

Ms Flinstone said...

Good Lord!!!! Warisdis?? Poor kids, i wish dem quick recovery o, really scared for dem cos of d tender skins dey got.... God u are all dey need now, intervene in dis matter... #silentlypraying4dem#

kawasaki said...

:(

Anonymous said...

Nigerians Lacks Maintenance Culture..its a pity

topJohn said...

OMG! Thank u for protecting my school

Coded said...

....i cant just but weeped.

Dadamac ago are said...

this is a tragic occurence and i hope medical assistance is given to those alive, school should rather buy good school bus with two way entrance so such a gory incidence could be averted

Anonymous said...

Whoever can reach these kids and their parents should advice them to use original natural honey on the burns...the burns will heal without leaving much scars and incases where they hve good skin, there will be no scar @ all. God bless....

naijanelly said...

Sad but coded gbagaun sha :(

tolsbee said...

Amen

Anonymous said...

Pls dnt mind dose hypocrites! Homosexuality in Ghana is nt hidden! Dey shld lyk beefn us!

Anonymous said...

It is well God we see them thru

Anonymous said...

God, pls hear our cry and heal our land. Angel face nd earnestly praying 4 them

ku said...

UCH and I think most other hospitals too, use natural honey in their burns unit....

Death toll rose to 8....

Sad! Sad!! Sad!!!

Anonymous said...

I pray for healing for the the children in Jesus name.

Recent Posts