"Why I didn't attend the Grammy Awards" - Femi Kuti | Welcome to Linda Ikeji's Blog

LI_Leaderboard_4

LI_Leaderboard_1

LI_Leaderboard_2

LI_Leaderboard_3

Thursday 11 February 2010

"Why I didn't attend the Grammy Awards" - Femi Kuti























"Everybody was worried why I didn't go. I said I would not travel because it's not my thing. After the Kora Awards, I didn't like the feelings I got. I nearly suffered high blood pressure. 'And the winner is...' Everybody was apprehensive. And when they pronounced me the winner of West Africa, and they wanted to do the overall, I refused to come out. I didn't go into music because of that; not to go and sit in one hall and be pronounced a winner or not. I didn't want that. I know how I started, I was playing for three people who were my friends. They used to laugh at me. I would play for five hours until I got a break in France, Switzerland and Germany, then I moved all over. I was in Spain, Italy and I conquered Europe and I then I entered America. It took me nearly ten years before I entered America. To be nominated, is it a small thing? Do you know how many artists we have in this world? Already I have drank champagne over it. I'm not disappointed one bit about not winning. The resaon I did not win are technical reasons. It's not by the sale of the album. There are judges and they must have their reasons for picking whoever they picked. I was even shocked to have been nominated again, because the first time I went to the awards during my first nomination, I walked out in annoyance. First I thought we were going to be televised, but it wasn't. They only televised the Madonna's, the Jay Z's and the Beyonce's of this world. I was 41 then and everybody by my side was apprehensive to win and I could not stand it. I was upset. When I arrived at the red carpet, nobody came for me, my record company didn't come, I felt stupid and so I knew I could not win. I sacked my manager, a French man, and they sacked me too. The journed back home was very long. I felt sad. Since then I vowed never to attend the Grammy Awards again. My father never went for any awards, and where they presented him an award, he didn't go personally and when they brought the award to him, he would send them back with the award. One day, I was at the World Music Awards and I brought the awards, he said did I send you? You better take it back. As I grew older, I understood what he was saying then." ~ Femi Kuti.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

yup!thats the thing about grammys..they never televise the awards the deem as unimportant.India Arie too complained that they didnt televise her first grammy and people never knew she won anything and then she got angry and resentful and she found out it was eating her and taking the focus away from her music....and after that she said she didnt need any grammys to validate her singing..Even this year they didnt televise her win..Jay z too recently sai dthe same thing about awards..that dont let it take your foucus that it is just a bunch of old men who decided who is better than who...So i get where Femi is coming from..abeg brother carry go...Grammy's or not you are still the best artsiste and the most recognised one (after you dad) from naija

F said...

Wow... so there are still musicians who genuinely care about music? Finally, someone who isn't all about the money or fame. At the end of the day, music is supposed to be an art and this shows that Femi is a true artist.

wannabewriter said...

I mean it is so obvious those awards are fake.....they only give us things to dumb us down...by showing the likes of Beyonce sashaying down a walk way or JayZ telling us about how much money he is got...they never show people with substance to their music because they don't want people to become curious and go after real music....abeg...really this awards are just crap.....nonsense

BB said...

Makes sense...

Anonymous said...

i love femi kuti. he's one sure person that tells it as it is. n i'm imagining he said all ds in a loud voice and dat his new found yoruba accent which i admire. lol.

PREYE said...

he is very right about awards in general...not only grammy awards...even nigerian awards and other types of awards

Recent Posts