Rihanna finally breaks silence over abuse | Welcome to Linda Ikeji's Blog

LI_Leaderboard_4

LI_Leaderboard_1

LI_Leaderboard_2

LI_Leaderboard_3

Tuesday 3 November 2009

Rihanna finally breaks silence over abuse



The singer gave an interview to Glamour Magazine and this is what she had to say about being a victim of domestic abuse

''Domestic violence is a big secret. No kid goes around and lets people know their parents fight. Teenage girls can’t tell their parents that their boyfriend beat them up. You don’t dare let your neighbor know that you fight. It’s one of the things we [women] will hide, because it’s embarrassing. My story was broadcast all over the world for people to see, and they have followed every step of my recovery. The positive thing that has come out of my situation is that people can learn from that. I want to give as much insight as I can to young women, because I feel like I represent a voice that really isn’t heard. Now I can help speak for those women...It was humiliating; that is not a photo you would show to anybody. I felt completely taken advantage of. I felt like people were making it into a fun topic on the Internet, and it’s my life. I was disappointed, especially when I found out the photo was [supposedly leaked by] two women.''

It took her quite a while to talk about this. It must have been quite a traumatic experience for her. I know a lot of women do not speak out about domestic violence - but is that the best way to deal with it? Silence? Not talking to family and friends about it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice timing to 'break the silence'....

Recent Posts