Nike Oshinowo's Interview | Welcome to Linda Ikeji's Blog

LI_Leaderboard_4

LI_Leaderboard_1

LI_Leaderboard_2

LI_Leaderboard_3

Thursday 22 October 2009

Nike Oshinowo's Interview

This is Nike’s first interview in years. Encomium Weekly cornered her on Saturday, October 17th, 2009, during Helen Ajayi’s 50th birthday party and spoke with her on her sojourn outside Nigeria, the secret of her ageless look and more
Enjoy...
















What were the things that kept you busy while you were away?
Nike “Oh my goodness I wasn’t working, I was a housewife. I was just doing things that English housewives do I guess (Smiles). Having lunch, shopping, hanging out, looking out for my husband, having a tea with neighbours, making sure the house is okay and basically supporting my husband.”

What is the secret behind your ageless look?
“It’s very simple. Sleep, drink enough water and take a healthy organic balanced diet. Three things: Sleep; most people just don’t sleep. They go on all day and sleep for two hours. I sleep. By 10pm, I’m fast asleep in bed and will not open my eyes until maybe 7 or 7:30 am. From the moment I wake up, I drink water. I would not put anything in my body that is not good for me. In fact there are some things that I eat just because they are good for me. I eat for my hair, I eat for my skin.”















We read in a magazine interview that your health-related issues scare you away from having children.
I never said that”


What did you say?
“I’ve always suffered endometriosis. It’s no secret. When I turned 40, I talked about this issue because a lot of women out there suffer it and don’t know what they can do about it. I talked about my problem so that young women can know they are not alone and they should not be embarrassed. A lot of women with endometriosis have children. I didn’t want to put my body through all that. I wasn’t married. Now I’m married, maybe I might decide to have one. I’m lucky I’m married to a man who doesn’t put pressure on me. He married me, not a baby machine. If I have children, he loves me. If I don’t, he loves me. I’m lucky.”















You are one of the most celebrated beauty queens in Nigeria, what has kept you this good?
“I think that air of mystery. I don’t know where you are from, but I’m Yoruba and they say ‘nkan ta be gbe pa mo lo niyi’ (Whatever you conceal is prestigious). Maybe it’s because I’m not all over the place. If I’m invited to ten parties, I go to one. People still want to see more of me. They ask what is she doing? What is she up to?. In my years of being in the limelight, people didn’t quite understand. They always guessed the essence of Nike Oshinowo. I think that’s a good thing. You don’t have to be everywhere."

Interview by Shade Wesley of Encomium magazine.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

pregnancy does help to shrink endometriotic spots

Anonymous said...

That's funny when she said, I do what English housewives do, I wonder what naija housewives do.

Anyways, I'm always happy to hear the secret to all these women who age well, but then, they all say the same thing. I want the specific, like the kind of facial wash or cream they use, maybe exercise, but no, they say sleep well or drink a lot of water, who doesn't do that.

Anonymous said...

@anon 1.26am,
she said she eats for her skin....

i beleive diet plays a very important role in the way the skin looks, ageing well and one's general well-being....

as for me..i'm working on eating more fruits, veggies , less of processed foods..i've heard it does wonders for the skin.

nonimus said...

hmm...so she's an English housewife. All these fake answers people give

Anonymous said...

@Anon 3.0pm I have just been diagnosed with Endo too, true that pregnancy might suppress endo however actively trying to get pregnant increases endo terribly.Doctors advise you to take birth control too so you don't ovulate and try to control it then try again. I just had a Lap, my only option is IVF. Endo is terrible!

Anonymous said...

Hmn, there they go again, "i do what english housewives do" English woman.

I think this woman hypes herself too much. i used to like her until i watched her on moments with mo....she came across really fake and saucy, she should go n sit down jare!

Anonymous said...

She's beautiful no doubt. But she's as fake as they come. An Ibadan girl to the core!!

doll (retired blogger) said...

glad she is happy

doll (retired blogger) said...

Nike is always on point with her dress sense...i always luv to see her pictures...Nice one..enjoy yourself Nikky

Anonymous said...

I saw Nike oshinowo today n could not help thinking "what the fuck is that?" her legs looked so funny in her jeans n she had on these ridiculous White sunglasses. She looked like a clown on d loose. I was not impressed at all after the hype n good stuff I've heard about her. "English housewife my foot" why do we naijas keep up with the joneses so much. It's really a sad thing coz what we forget to realise is that the jonese r damn broke too!

Anonymous said...

I like this this
You are not right. I am assured. I can defend the position. Write to me in PM, we will communicate.

cert-net

Recent Posts