Judging people | Welcome to Linda Ikeji's Blog

LI_Leaderboard_4

LI_Leaderboard_1

LI_Leaderboard_2

LI_Leaderboard_3

Thursday 27 March 2008

Judging people

Do you judge people? I bet you do. We all do. I'm not going to be a hypocrite and say I don't judge. I used to be the worst offender. When I hear or see something, I'm the first to pass judgement. I will be the prosecutor, the judge and the executioner. I used to say it's just my opinion but now I know I have been passing judgement for years.

When I was much younger I used to look down on every girl that had a sugar daddy or any girl I knew messed around. Oh, I didn't care what your circumstances was, I didn't care how poor your parents were, how many people were depending on you, I didn't want to hear your story, 'cos I had my own story...you had no excuse, to me you were a slut. I felt like they were beneath me...I was so fixed on my ideals and nothing else was acceptable to me.

I talk and joke freely about sex now...but some years back you probably wouldn't catch me dead mentioning the word sex. It was taboo to me and I used to judge those who I knew were having sex. If I wasn't having sex at 22, no woman had any excuse to...
I basically set a standard, not just for me but for every young girl my age and if you didn't meet up to the standard, you were loose to me.

But as I grew older, I realised how set I was in my ways...now I'm a bit more flexible.

I can set a standard for myself, but I have no right to set a standard for anyone else and look down on them when they don't act or think like me. If I wasn't having sex, what gives me the right to expect other girls not to?

When news broke that Annie Macauley was pregnant...I was the first to say 'why did she involve herself in that mess? what a stupid girl'. I felt I was entitled to say it because in my mind I told myself; I would never do it. I would have more pride as a woman...oh, I judged her. But you know what? Because it's not right for me does not mean it's not right for her. Because I think it's not right doesn't mean it's wrong. And it's easy for me to say I'll never do it, maybe I will never do it, but until you are actually in a situation, you can never know exactly how you are going to act. So it's basically saying "Never judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes."

I have been judged. Oh, so many times, more times than I will ever wish for you...and it sucks to be judged, especially when it's very harsh. So knowing the pain of that, why do we still judge other people? Why do we believe it is our right to judge others? Why are some of us so used to it? Does it mark our place in life? I feel like we judge others in a certain way, to distinguish what we don’t wish to do, say, or be. Sometimes we even do it unconsciously.

I don't think there's anyone who doesn't judge...if we don't say it it's because we don't want to be disrespectful or maybe we don't want to be attacked. I'm sure there are some of you who think that I'm an ass...there are a few people who I think are downright annoying.

I think judging people is part of human nature. Whether it’s a good or bad opinion we make of someone, usually it’s already formed in our minds. If we want to be sincere with ourselves, is it possible to have an impassive view of everyone we meet? Is it possible to have no expectations of other people? Is it possible to shut out any preconceived thoughts we have of them in our minds?
Sincerely? You and I will always judge...we can't help it. It is easy to look at someone's action and come to our own conclusions. It is easy to decide whether we like someone from spending time with them or not. It easy to see a hairdo, a dress and decide how cheap, dirty it is. It is easy to see someone and say they're nasty.We will go to an event and think it was crap. We will watch a TV programme and think it's nonsense. We will read an interview and say 'what is this one talking about sef?' We will think some people aren't educated enough, or don't speak or write well enough. We will see a girl dancing with a cigarette in one hand and a drink in another and call her a slut. We will forever judge our past presidents and governors and blame them for all our problems...when a guy asks us out, we will look at him from head and toe and think 'Please get lost','cos we feel they're aren't good enough for us, without even getting to know them. We will judge to choose a political candidate on election day. We have to judge whether or not we want to have a relationship with someone. We judge single mothers, unmarried women, divorced couples, poor people, rich people, gay men...the list goes on.
We humans will always have our opinions on something and someone.

Can we stop judging completely? Maybe not...but we can reduce it. Let's try not to judge so readily and so often. And in our judgement of others, let's not be destructive, but constructive and humane. You can say/think that I am stupid...but dont say/think that I am evil. I will say/think that you were dump or maybe foolish but I won't say you're the devil.

In our judgement, let's not be unneccesarily cruel and wicked. When you remember how much it hurts to be judged, try to be merciful. Don't be so hurtful and mean. When I look around me, I love too many people...and when I pass judgement, it's not so ugly that I can't say it out loud. Besides, passing judgement constructively can sometimes help people learn and grow. It doesn't always have to be negative. If I don't tell you your show was crap, how are you going to make it better next time?
On a lighter note; Even if you don't want to judge, there are some people who don't make it easy for you. Sometime last week I asked a girl if she would be interested in an ushering job, she looked at me from head to toe and said "Excuse you?" lol. She didn't say excuse me, but 'excuse you' with a condescending look...I called her names in my mind...lol. So the thing is; how is it possible not to get annoyed at some blatantly rude people you have to deal with everyday? You will always feel like slapping someone and when you can't, you call them names...albeit lightly.

"When you’re confident enough in your own ability to move through life without having to tear others down in order to build yourself up, judgements about others can be lessened without a loss of personal progress."
We all judge and we will be judged, that is why I wrote this post http://lindaikeji.blogspot.com/search?q=the+person+in+the+mirror to help you deal with being judged.
And remember, before you judge others, you must judge yourself first.

May God give us the strength and wisdom to act in the right way, if not always, then at least most of the time.

I will be doing a lot of blogging this weekend, 'cos I'm gonna be MIA through out next week. Hopefully, I will blog enough to keep you occupied for a week. Can I? We'll see...lol

See y'all tomorrow.

Kisses!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

okay my dear we are not supposed to be judging but this new blue is just tacky.

you are an international person for goodness sake. what you had before was perfect why change it when it aint broke?

http://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-112102.0.html

check that link to see what people tot of the little thing i did for you at nairaland.

seriously you got it right at first. this is kids stuff with this blue thing

i wish you the best

wale

Tinu said...

u gave ur blog a facelift...brighter colours!!! i like!!!

Dith said...

SO i see u decided 2 fully write on this whole judgement post.

u hit the nail right on the head and u were very right when u talked abt our judging others being sometimes unconscious. it all boils down to our cognitive schemas. as human beings, we like 2 be consistent with our thots so therefore we tend 2 think in categories. for example, we see a guy braiding his hair or sumtn of that sort we automatically think he's a thug. Why?? because that is what we know, have heard or probably seen....."guys who sag thier pants and braid their hair are usually thugs" but does that always mean ALL. i can go on with so many examples.
u know as a black woman i walk into some stores here in the states and get watched like a criminal. does it offend me?? ofcourse!!! i am no bloody thief but in a way i do understand why. most thefts here in the US have been reported to be commited by blacks. now as a white store owner, when u see a black person, what do u think would come into ur mind??
trust me girl u kno do not want 2get me started with social psychology.
show me someone who has never judged, and i'll show u a bloody liar. now what causes problems is to what extent we take and express our judgements.
do u hate all blacks because some commit crime? do u hate all whites because some are racists? do u think all girls who smoke are loose because some are. the list goes on and on.
linda with regards u saying u are goin 2 try 2 fight judging someone..no scratch that i'ld say situations because judging some one is an extrem form of judgement. so as i was saying linda, it is either u have decided 2 start lying 2 urself or u'ld start suppressing ur feelings because believe me, passing judgment is inevitable. at the end of the day, what matters is how u express it.
i can relate with the sex thing 2. i mean especially coming from the african culture where sex is seen as a taboo for the most part so it was only natural we adopt that way of thinking but with more exposure, education and socialization, u'ld understand that SEX IS A PART OF OUR EVERYDAY LIFE no matter how we try 2 camouflage it.
tell me uve never gotten horny in ur life and i'ld ask u seek medical help with immediate effect because i am sorry 2 burst ur bubble hunie but that is just how our body is designed.
now some pple choose 2 act on it, some pple choose not 2. some pple choose 2 wait longer, some pple dont. at the end of the day it is a very subjective matter and i cant stand it when someone thinks the way he/she chooses 2 live is better than mine. u DO NOT have 2 agree with it but u either have 2 accept it or keep it pushing.

i still havent changed my views abt that annie and 2face case, i still do not agree with it but truth is i am only passing judgments based on what i have read (thats my schema working) "baby momma" stories do not fly well with me because an innocent child is involved. do i know the girl personally? NO and really do not care 2 either. i still wish her luck on everything tho.
and linda u mentioned some good points as 2 why pple pass judgments but u left one out.
SOME PEOPLE PASS JUDGMENTS BECAUSE THEY ARE TRYING SO HARD 2 FIGHT WHO THEY REALLY ARE.
THEY DO NOT WANT 2 BELIEVE THEY ARE A CERTAIN WAY WHEN INDEED THEY ARE. FOR EXAMPLE, SOME PEOPLE DO NOT WANT 2 BELIEVE THEY ARE GAY OR ATLEAST FANTASIZE ABT BEING WITH SOMEONE OF THE SAME SEX AND SO THEY PUT DOWN OPENLY GAY PPLE. LOOK AT D CASE OF THAT PASTOR WHO WAS PAYING A GAY PROSTITUTE FOR SEX WHILE CONDEMNING HOMOSEXUALITY EVERY SINGLE WEEK IN HIS CHURCH. this is just one of many examples. HIV is more prevelant in african american women(blacks that is) because most of their men are on the down-low(pls look it up)... my carpals are hurting.

damn this comment is long as hell. lol.

Dith said...

r my eyes deceiving me or did u change ur blog template? speaking of judgements, i have 2 pass my judgement on this one.
this color screams tacky at its best. u may not now how much ur blog template impacts ur blog but trust me it makes ur blog look not interesting and plus it looks like child's play.
i click onto some blogs sometimes and 2 be honest with u d template drives me away. if d template looks boring, i automatically assume the person is boring as well. lol...talkn abt judgments! funny how our mind works.
go over 2 pyzam.com. they have a wide range of beautiful templates u could choose from. i beg of u change this thing... not cute at all.

temi said...

linda...

dis post is spot on!
and you covered a lot of ground....i'm impressed...

its hard not to judge people by our personal standards but we can certainly do it if we make a conscious effort.......

..its very humbling
when i make a mistake or i do stuff i previously berrated others for.....it really reminds me no one has the right to judge anoda!

for real...no one!

and keep the posts coming in!

Anonymous said...

Is dis judgment post deliberate or its coincidental as u jus changed ur template??LOL
Okay i agree wit u mostly on the judgement thingy so permit me to judge u POSITVELY(like d example u gave wit the show thingy).
Dis new template isnt nice at all at all at all oh,dat oda one was nurin but powerful and trust me,i luv change but dis one aint it at all.
My $10........LOL

Anonymous said...

you are a gem. i like the fact that you take advice with grace. not just on this but even with the cover of your very own FBM. some people ask for advice for the sake of it even though they had made up thier mind.

anyway you know we don't mean you any harm.

i am a card carrying member of your fan club.

have a good weekend and God's blessings be on you and your work

wale

Anonymous said...

the iron lady margaret tacher called the non judgemental left the "wets".

look what they have turned britain and america into these last 20yrs with their liberal stupidity.

judging people and situation is a gift from God especially when you have good judgement.

everyone cannot be right and wrong cannot be right. no doubt the world is changing and the morals of people are changing but some of us have the grace not to be usual and normal.

my dear you were born an eagle dont come lower than that. dont begin to do what others do - you will only get what others get that is mediocraty and average living.

you were born an original and not a copy. what is wrong with people emulating you for living right? you are a light. yes it comes with enormous responsibility but who says you have to be a follower?

i do not judge people but i do not allow the misguidedd majority to lead me astray either.

i know few things are wrong an i say they are wrong that is not judging nobody. it is stating what i know and think.

have you noticed all the minorities gay lobby, no smacking lobby, animal right lobby, free "sex" love lobby are vocal and changing the world agenda.

i respect thier rights to have their opinions and they should respect mine too that is not judgement.

wale

Anonymous said...

yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee,we have our correct template back!!!!
have a luvly weekend y'all

Anonymous said...

Dear Linda,
Its funny how you asked that people not judge and you have people leaving comments on your blog, complainng about the colours....calling it childs play...some saying its tacky...what the hell happened to constructive criticism?

what happened to "Linda, this colour might not have an international appeal"? or "i think the other colours gave a better presentation to the quality of literature expressed on your blog"....this is simply diplomacy which as you said..goes a long way...to be candid...i didnt notice the colours....thats the simple truth...but maybe other people do.......anyhoo, talking about judging...would you believe that i have made a decision to stop judging people....i noticed that everything i critisized bout people and condemned started happening to me....can u just imagine that? it was really very hard for me to accept it...so now.... i just look and say a silent prayer...i love your blog girl......the Lord is your strength.

Anonymous said...

AM not God but i have to say what is right.Nigeria is not like America,where you can get child care from a man.Tuface enjoy yourself, cos the girls made themselves so cheap but you have to know that aids is real.

Recent Posts