8 month old baby remanded in prison because of his mother's crime - President of Nig Women in Clergy | Welcome to Linda Ikeji's Blog

LI_Mobile_Leaderboard_1

Sunday, 27 March 2016

8 month old baby remanded in prison because of his mother's crime - President of Nig Women in Clergy

The President of the Nigerian Women in Clergy and Overseer of the New Wine Ministries World Wide, Nonnie Robertson, visited Suleja prison to celebrate her birthday. According to her she decided to visit the prison because she had heard about some people who have been incarcerated for committing petty crimes and unable to meet their bail conditions or pay the fine set for their release.

She said she was shocked to see children in prison with their parents. She said she didn't think it was fair for children to be incarcerated for crimes committed by their parents.
She said:
"There is an eight-month-old baby in this prison. I asked myself why? What was the crime? The mother is incarcerated! And you know what it means for a child to grow up in prison environment where there is no good food, no clothing, no baby food, and no good medical care. Is a child who grows up in that kind of environment not condemned for life?” 
“I was really shocked when I saw the eight month-old-baby. The woman lives on dry food, that is, garri that outsiders provide for them. They don’t give them food. They depend on what people take to them. That is what they share among them and they drink garri even in the morning with little or no sugar. You can just imagine! There are many children living in this condition in Nigerian prisons but people would not know. There are issues. I weep for this country”. 
“I always like to do things differently. I heard about what I could describe as ‘forgotten’ victims in Nigerian prisons; though I didn’t take it seriously because I was not led by the spirit; I prayed over it and few, days to my birthday, God asked me to visit prisons. The first prison that came to my mind was Kuje prison, because, ignorantly, I thought that was the only prison around. But we later went to Suleja prison and we met inmates whose cases were poverty-driven crimes. Some are there serving jail terms with the options of N5, 000 to N15, 000 fines but they can’t afford it and nobody to help. This is why I call them the ‘forgotten victims’. 
"We have people that have looted billions of naira in this country, yet they have their freedom and sailing around the world. This is sad”.


Source: Vanguard

53 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Those useless vagabond in the house wont sit to deliberate on something reasonable instead they pick irrelevant topic to debate on like how to get second wife .. Useless set of failures failing this country .

      Delete
    2. Sad indeed





      Most beautiful gal on linda ikeji's blog

      Delete
    3. Hmm
      -D great anonymous now as Vivian Reginalds

      Delete
    4. As bad as this may sound, the child might be safer and well taken care of by the mum than anyone out there

      Delete
  2. Dis is really bad! Linda take note!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The country is in a sorry state. You can't even blame the man on top. Even single nigerian has a fault in this. Greed and incompetency wnt let us do our job well. Always looking for the easy way out to make quick money. I doubt we have hope..let's just keep living.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said my dear! Every one of us need to change our attitude and mentality

      Delete
  4. This is a real one,need to be look into😓😓😓

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dunno much bout this baby prison thing,but i think most pregnant women can decide to have their baby with them in d prison or give it to family members, sometimes social services (which Nigeria don't have) take the baby n put them in foster care. But u know how Nigeria dey na,our own things they get K leg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said Onyx!

      Delete
    2. True. Basic amenities should be in place for mothers and their children while in prison. Imagine drinking garri and water. Hygiene nko? Dairis Godooo

      Delete
  6. I Just pray they will get their freedom soon for the sake of those children.




    Okbye.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ********************Nawa ooo***** my country ix a country of Orishisi ******************** Linda pls I am not a Robot ************ abi my comments dey smell Robot ????????I am tired of tryno prove I am human

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is absolute rubbish. Why should kids be remanded in prisons for crimes their parents committed. This is just as nonsensical as d Christian doctrine of "Original Sin" where I am supposed to have inherited the sins committed by Adam and Eve.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have visited a prison b4 as a youth corper, believe me what dis woman is saying is child's play to some other things dat happen in our prisons. I met a young man that was transferred from a prison from eastern part of d country to lagos, and h has been there for 4 years without his people knowing his whereabout. Those who are on awaiting trial for 8 years. Is crazy ooooooo

    ReplyDelete
  10. PURE AND UNDEFILED RELIGION BEFORE GOD AND THE FATHER IS THIS, TO VISIT ORPHANS AND WIDOWS IN THEIR TROUBLE AND TO KEEP ONESELF UNSPOTED FROM THE WORLD ( JAMES 1 VS 27 ) thank you my sister and may the good LORD JESUS CHRIST Bless you more

    ReplyDelete
  11. Linda u have been rejecting my comments since two years I've been reading your posts. If u don't approve my comments

    ReplyDelete
  12. 8 months? They must be high on something.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 8months? They must be high on something

    ReplyDelete
  14. I pray God Almighty give the great country Nigeria Moses of her time. #Odia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Lord answer our prayer

      Delete
  15. That feeling when your body itches because of this post

    ReplyDelete
  16. WT...ef!!! This is cruel. And like the woman said, the looters of billions of naira are walking the streets freely. May God help Nigeria. I feel so so so so sorry for this country. May God help our leaders too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. #In Freeborn's voice# Sad indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Something really need to be done about this FG take note.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Linda ikeji's driver:- Its a good thing to come to most of thier aids but the question is if released on bails where do they go from there?

    ReplyDelete
  20. PEOPLE THAT LOOTED OUR MONEY MEETING BAIL CONDITIONS OF BILLIONS OF NAIRA, AND THEY CANT TAKE A DAY TO GO TO THE PRISONS TO HELP PEOPLE IN NEED

    ReplyDelete
  21. Pathetic state of Nigeria. When we don't have basic infrastructures ie roads etc hw then do u xpct gudliving in our prisons. Someday we will get dia.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nigeria is in a dilapidated state

    ReplyDelete
  23. Something has to be done, seriously it's bad

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is pathetic

    ReplyDelete
  25. Don't let us wait on political leaders...But Make ourself an exemplary leader within your little reach, and your political leaders will notice you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. So sad,I feel like crying for this country

    ReplyDelete
  27. jesus christ??? have mercy? what are those children doing in the prison? the govt shouldnt have allow that they should take those children to children walfare, is under the office of the presidency.a woman is in charge of that office.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for the Eye-opener. #terrible #pathetic.
    God bless u

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in comments are those of the comment writers alone and does not reflect or represent the views of Linda Ikeji.

Recent Posts